3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
m
marshallugntu 27.12.20 02:00 am

Disclosure of the plot of books in games (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

Honorable public, the question is.
The third witcher did not start. The 1st passed many times, I consider one of the best games (if not the best) in principle, but I haven't read the books, although I bought everything on the shelf (throw the tomatoes).
Now I'm going through the second part, I really like it, the third is next.
In the first part, due to the amnesia of Master Gervant, the details of the plot of the books were almost not disclosed, except that our Geralt was decided and it is not clear how he survived.
In the second, the details of the plot of the books are revealed in more detail. More book characters are reminiscent of past events, and Geralt himself begins to remember a lot.
Well, actually the question - how much the plot of the books will be revealed after passing the 3rd part with all the dlc? I am going to read the books without fail, so I would not want the events and thoughts of the author to seem like something that I have already seen and heard somewhere.
Thank you all for your answers in advance.
13 Comments
Sort by:
a
arsomsk21 27.12.20

The game does not fully reveal the entire story that is described in the books. But the main plot of the books is 70-80% reflected in the game, and part 3 will end this line

R
RBunny 27.12.20

I advise you to re-read at least a couple of books before playing the games, and only then take on the games themselves :)
And the game itself does not fully reveal the plot, many book characters were simply deleted, they missed a lot

K
Kodval 27.12.20

marshallugntu Expands
mainly in the form of references. Well, the whole main plot is built for the most part on book characters that you have not yet seen in the game. But in the books, they were very important. And Blood and Wine is completely replete with spoilers for the book and kuuuuch references to them. Therefore, before the third part, I advise you to read the books.
In general - 1 and 2 parts for the most part isolated from the books of the game, which are based on only small moments. Part 3 is already a game that is slightly more than completely based on the plot of the books and is a direct continuation of them, where the further fate of all the main characters of the books is revealed (in parts 1 and 2, these are only Geralt and Triss (probably), in the third of them at least 4))

E
Eraser101 27.12.20

marshallugntu
In the third part of the game there are more characters from the books than in the first two combined. And some points are not clear to those who have not read books. They, in principle, are not important for the main plot, but it is nice to realize that you understand what the characters are talking about, and not listen to them with the thought - What are they about ...

m
marshallugntu 27.12.20

arsomsk21
RBunny
Azazelius
Eraser101
Thank you! In principle, there are already more than enough opinions for the first volume of The Witcher to be the next book to read;)

k
kai2613t 27.12.20

Eraser101
that's why I re-read all the books before going through part 3, when I played the first part and read 4 or 5 books at that time and forgot a lot since that time.

A
Ahmed_the_Shaitan_Killer 27.12.20

Azazelius
And not only to the Witcher universe there are references) Today I found the grave of Smigol Serkis (sort of like that) in Regis' hideout, just fell out)

W
Wild rider 27.12.20

marshallugntu
If you start part 3 before the books, then there will be a spoiler: one intrigue will be revealed, which lasts throughout the entire saga.
Situations and characters that were in the books will often be mentioned.
I recommend reading first, and then taking on the game in which Geralt will already remember his past life.

The flashbacks of the second part are not disclosed in more detail in The Wild Hunt (the story between books and games), but it explains how Geralt got to Kaer Morhen at the very beginning of the trilogy.

S
Sanchez ramirez 27.12.20

Before part 3, I recommend reading at least "The Last Wish" and "Sword of Destiny" in order to at least roughly understand who Yennefer and Cyril are (although their relationship begins only in "Blood of the Elves"). However, some players manage to consider themselves true fans, having played only part 3 and not even understanding, for example, what Ciri went through during her relatively short life.

m
marshallugntu 27.12.20

Wild Rider wrote:
If you start part 3 before the books, then there will be a spoiler: one intrigue will become clear, which lasts throughout the entire saga.
This is probably the main thing that I wanted to know :) Thank you. Now up to the third part of the book.

M
Mantikora713 27.12.20

In fact, the games seem to be a continuation of the book's plot.

m
marshallugntu 27.12.20

Mantikora713
Actually, in the first part, Geralt does not remember anything about previous events

S
Stifler's mom 27.12.20

I will express my humble opinion. Before The Witcher 3, I did not play the second part and only played the first part a little. I also did not read books. Well, by and large, I didn't know anything. Not the events of the previous parts, not the events of the books. Even on these forums I did not climb. I did not know more than one spoiler of the game. Passed in one breath and did not bathe. So even better. Then there was an incentive to go through the previous parts and read books (may Pan Sapkovsky forgive me for such ignorance). And then I replayed the game knowing everything and everyone about it. There were already other emotions and impressions. In addition, The Witcher 3 is a very self-contained game that does not require the player to know the original source. Everything or almost everything is revealed in the process of passing.
In general, I would advise everyone who just wants to start going through The Witcher 3 - to close and not go to any game forums. Do not read spoilers and other things about the game. 80 percent of interest with this knowledge goes away. And then some, without playing, begin to ask:
Spoiler him to choose Ian or Triss, how to save the children in Velen, how to get a good ending and where to find Ciri. So this is no longer the case. Such a game must be played in complete lack of knowledge of the plot (although knowledge of the books, of course, does not hurt). I would gladly erase my memory and play the game again. Knowing nothing about the details of the plot