3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
S
SUSUL1 27.12.20 08:30 am

What's the bottleneck?

In general, I copy 16 GB of video to the phone with the conversion, at the same time I write an 8GB disk image to a flash drive ... and watch YouTube .. the
percent is loaded by 98% on all cores (the video converter is eating it a lot)
And I decided to play tanks .. I unloaded myself two cores of the system for the game, I launch the client and ... and I have a monstrous loss of packets! Up to a complete stop of the tank after loading the battle map.
Didn't you overload the south bridge and there was no room in the queue for game packages?
15 Comments
Sort by:
L
Len4ik00N 27.12.20

SUSUL1
SUSUL1 wrote:
it is not that the south bridge overloaded the
hard disk, you overloaded it: too many processes simultaneously try to access it, respectively, the speed of data exchange with the railway for each process is noticeably reduced. If this is not so critical for copying files, the process will simply take longer, then in games all the disadvantages of slow operation of the railway will immediately become visible (drop and significant subsidence of FPS, etc.)

-
-SK.art- 27.12.20

Len4ik00N wrote:
aha .. Looks like that ..
In general, for toys it is still worth to fork out for a separate ssd. And there will never be such problems.

S
SUSUL1 27.12.20

-SK.art-
I have two disks, and the toys are all on one HDD, the system and media files on the other.
So the HDD with toys should not be overloaded.
And I transferred the swap file to RAM Disk

M
MunchkiN 616 27.12.20

Pravadil how that baking such a crash test
forced to pack 10 archives in parallel and encode the movie
everything worked fine only the games are very slow.
and moreover, if you try to scatter the processes, the speed of something multi-threaded is still very low. it is probably the processor cache.
regarding YouTube and other things - the browser eats a lot of hard drive. he needs ssd.
that before that, I can’t say anything because I don’t know how online games function. Perhaps there is some kind of protection from cheaters so that you can not ride on a slow computer under 1000 kilomers per hour and make double shots. if the time of some internal session ends all actions and pressing are canceled.
with a similar but already programmatic problem, most likely I encountered when typing into the browser .. waxing it starts to lag. if it is about more than 10 seconds late, it can swallow keystrokes.

L
LeopoldoMendoza 27.12.20

MunchkiN 616
has long moved the browser to the RAM disk

S
SonyK_2 27.12.20

SUSUL1 wrote:
I transferred the swap file to the RAM Disk
Left the swap file with 16 GB of RAM?
And what's the point of pumping RAM into the same RAM, but on a RAM disk - it works faster?

L
LeopoldoMendoza 27.12.20

SonyK.
in some old games, a force check for the presence of a swap file, but a stupid wasp immediately starts to write it even if the RAM is 24 gb, of course it's easier to throw it on the RAM disk so that it doesn't lag

R
Rolento 27.12.20

Taking two cores away from the system is not easy.

S
SonyK_2 27.12.20

LeopoldoMendoza wrote:
in some old games, force check for swap file
For example?

L
LeopoldoMendoza 27.12.20

SonyK.
warhummer down of war 2.
24 GB of RAM, with disabled paging file does not start

S
SonyK_2 27.12.20

LeopoldoMendoza
This game, or have I messed up something?
Video

S
SUSUL1 27.12.20

Rolento
What's not easy about scattering the execution of processes across cores in the task manager?
Of course, there are a lot of background processes hanging there, but the work processes can be clearly seen by the CPU load

S
SUSUL1 27.12.20

SonyK.
Quite rightly, they wrote above that without a swap file, some games and programs do not work stupidly.
So, it will not be superfluous.
But the biggest profit I got from transferring the browser cache folder to the RAM disk!
In a month, these browsers easily fill this folder for several gigs and constantly jerk the HDD when watching videos, opening pages and other operations in the browser.

S
SonyK_2 27.12.20

SUSUL1
I know and use about the RAM disk. Not only in the browser - TEMP folders, thumbnail caches, temporary program files, and downloads.
But with games without FP, the question is different. Can you give examples? - they wrote to me about one game (Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II), like it started without a swap file (video in the post above).

R
Rolento 27.12.20

For the purity of the experiment, it was necessary to use perfmon for the selected processes and general statistics for the load on the processor. But most likely the disks are to blame here - again perfmon and disk queue counters and the average response time.