3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Appledronidze 07.01.21 07:21 pm

Do I need to turn off the power supply?

Guys, can you please tell me if you need to turn off the power supply after turning off the computer?
Well, let's say, to save your computer from a power surge from an outlet, extension cord, etc.?
Thanks for answers.
24 Comments
Sort by:
S
SonyK_2 07.01.21

Appledronidze wrote:
... do I need to turn off the power supply after turning off the computer? ...
It seems not necessary, but if you have concerns, you can turn it off (especially if the power strip has its own switch) so as not to "blab" the power supply unit (at most so). Without turning off the power supply, a small voltage (if I'm not mistaken ~ 5V), which means that the power consumption in the system remains. If the network is bad at home (frequent outages, power surges, etc.), you should think about buying a UPS, especially if the cost of components is high.

A
Appledronidze 07.01.21

SonyK_2
Thank you for your answer, UPS is really a good solution to this issue)

n
neoandpha 07.01.21

all this is relevant only for rural areas (some other private sector, which the mayor's office is an eyesore, they want to remove it, burn it and stick out 20+ storey candles) And if the power supply itself is complete shit. now, even in the homeless-economy housing, the light does not just turn off - it does not blink for years! Therefore, there is no sense at all in a UPS for an ordinary PC, it is better to invest money in something else. And you don't need to turn off the computer, you need to put it to sleep.

P
PapunLapatun 07.01.21

neoandpha
You mean the most common "Shutdown" and enough?
By the way, the power supply I have is a Corsair HXi 850 80 Plus platinum

M
Marsj 07.01.21

PapunLapatun
So the power supply has protection technologies, for example, short circuit protection, overcurrent protection, overvoltage protection, undervoltage protection. And no UPSs are needed. UPS is useless crap.

M
MunchkiN 616 07.01.21

I just turn off the network when I turn off the whole pitch. because there is no need for usb to have voltage on the motherboard and, in general, the components are losing weight and turning electricity. and clicking a block is clicking a button and the peripherals will work. and I think this is the norm.
I really don't turn off the laptop from the network because the battery.

n
neoandpha 07.01.21

PapunLapatun wrote:
You mean the most common "Shutdown" and enough?
No, "Sleep", aka "Sleep". If everything is in order with the electricity at home, then there is no need to "Shut down" at all, only "Reboot" as needed, when what software requires it.
MunchkiN 616 wrote: the
components were losing weight
immediately presented such a leaky system unit that would explode at any moment

W
Walking in the darkness 07.01.21

Marsj
Marsj wrote:
And no UPS is needed. UPS is useless crap.
If the UPS is a
Spoiler,
then yes, crap.
But if your electricity is constantly cut off several times a day for 10-30 minutes, then a UPS is a must. In our city, this often happens, especially in areas near the shipyard. The husband bought this baby
Spoilerhttps: //www.liebert-russia.ru/catalog/gxt/ibp-vertiv-liebert-gxt5-10kva-irt5uxln/ with a battery rack. Now there is no need to save and turn off the computer. The charge is enough to power 2 games in the game mode for almost 4 hours.
Py.Sy in the summer, this shnyaga kept the refrigerator for over 10 hours)) Inverter refrigerator))

Appledronidze wrote:
Guys, can you please tell me if you need to turn off the power supply after turning off the computer?
It is better to turn off safety net for the sake of it. Everything depends on the network.

M
MunchkiN 616 07.01.21

neoandpha wrote: he
immediately presented such a leaky system unit that would explode at any moment
in the power supply unit, if I'm not mistaken, a diode bridge is used and the principle of the diode's operation ... plus charged capacitors - but I don't know if this affects them negatively.
and looking for such a fable - I had a friend and he bought an expensive gaming mouse for a student mx10 seems to be an e-sports one and stuck it in his PeK and I noticed such a strange thing that his mouse did not go out, in principle, even after turning off the PeK. somewhere in a month it burned down and so - and you did not turn off the pitch from the socket? he is, uh, and laugh is a friendly laugh at the end of the series and shooting gallery.

S
SonyK_2 07.01.21

MunchkiN 616 wrote:
... he was a friend and he bought an expensive gaming mouse ... I noticed such an oddity that his mouse did not go out in principle even after the PeK was turned off. somewhere in a month it burned out ...
Because without a complete shutdown, it spills into the system - if you do not turn it off, the keyboard and mouse LEDs may glow. But if he burned out just a month later in the "idle" mode, where is the guarantee that she would not "grunted" during work, maybe some kind of marriage got caught?

B
Baxmap 25.01.22

Marsj,
those who have never experienced a flashing light when updating a BIOS (especially on old motherboards without the possibility of restoring via backup) will never be able to understand the full usefulness of the UPS...

P
PoZZitivUA 25.01.22

Baxmep I
sympathize)) But I won’t buy a UPS))

r
requiemmm 31.01.22

If the sword is useful to you once in your life, you should wear it all your life :) Now you are all such rapped mother's oligarchs, the light never blinks, blah blah blah, but sooner or later you will come across one single drunken fool who will suit you laugh, having applied two phases to the outlet. And there is also lightning, have you heard about such a miracle of nature? Nothing will save you from a direct hit, but plus a few hundred volts of guidance into the wiring is also good. There are cats thoughtfully chewing wires, which are simply bored, well, fires as a result of this. The rule is simple, do not use it - turn it off, completely, with a circuit break.
And the resource of such a common thing as an electrolytic capacitor is quite small. The manufacturer gives up to 5 thousand hours for the limit mode, but here we are talking about large banks. For some reason, capacitors of small capacity and size dry much faster, and the duty room plows constantly. You leave the equipment in standby mode - be prepared for the fact that very soon you will poke the button, and the UPS will not start.

Y
YouCantStopMe 31.01.22

requiemmm
, it’s clear for the lightning, right next to it it hit the house, in 3 houses nearby the appliances burned down. in our office 4 fucking PCs burned down and no ups helped with bp 80+ gold

01001000 01101001 31.01.22

requiemmm
UPS, whose task is not to protect (there is a stabilizer for this), but to provide energy until the work is completed. And if you didn’t know, such devices also ruin computers. Check out the diagram and see what's included. In particular, the stabilizer has a diode bridge and its failure leads to ripples and damage to your computer in the most fun and unexpected way. Don't think here. And nefig to impose a device with a task different from your threats.

M
Masky76 31.01.22

Marsj
_

M
Masky76 31.01.22

YouCantStopMe
In the offices, the most dishish equipment, what kind of 80+ gold... Racers

Y
YouCantStopMe 31.01.22

Masky76

hmm I have these.

r
requiemmm 31.01.22

01001000 01101001
Are you stupid? Impulse power block. Personally, you can even jump out the window, I don’t mind and I don’t impose anything on you.

R
Rator 31.01.22

Previously, after turning off the computer, I clicked the toggle switch on the surge protector and turned off the monitor and speakers with the buttons on their case. Then I realized that I was suffering from nonsense and for about a year now, after turning off the PC, I only turn off the speakers with the buttons, and then only because of their background noise when turned on.
But, I think, if the power supply is completely deshman, then you can completely de-energize.