3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
C
Combiner 13.01.21 10:52 am

Scientific Foundations of the Game World (Half-Life 2)

Remember Brin's phrase about the worlds stretched out on membranes? But this is not such nonsense as it might seem. Within the framework of string theory (more precisely, the latest release of this theory - M-theory), there really is a concept of "membrane". Moreover, Mossman was talking about Calabi-Yau space, which is also a concept from string theory. I suggest that Halfa's fans who are versed in physics dig in this direction, maybe something will become clear.
By the way, did the reactor in Halfa run on Dark Energy or Dark Matter?
33 Comments
Sort by:
C
Cvoxalury 13.01.21

On the "dark fusion reaction". Dark fusion reaction.

There are no real foundations, there is just an induced scientific likeness.

w
warp 37 13.01.21

By the way, did the reactor in Halfa run on Dark Energy or Dark Matter?
On dark energy. There is even a chapter of the same name and a track in the OST.

D
Dragon27 13.01.21

But this is not such nonsense as it might seem.
It's as usual. At first it seems like nonsense. Then (when you learn about some funny words and concepts from science) it seems like something meaningful. And when you penetrate even deeper (you become familiar with the meaning of these funny words and concepts), you understand that it is all nonsense.

I suggest that Halfa's fans who are versed in physics dig in this direction, maybe something will become clear.
These topics have long died down on our halfoforum.

C
Combiner 13.01.21

And yet. For example, in M-theory, the Universe is 11-dimensional (however, for observations, only 4 - 3 spatial dimensions + time are available, and the rest are not. Why so, no one knows, but they think that the remaining 7 dimensions are simply reduced to microscopic scales ). And if you pull science on a half globe, it turns out that Zen is not a world in the usual sense, but a set of these unobservable dimensions (as far as I understand, this is the Calabi-Yau space). at the same time, the principle of teleportation in Halfa becomes clear. For example, if we have a two-dimensional space (let it be an ordinary sheet) with two points and we need to get from point A to point B, the distance between which is 10 cm.In two-dimensional space, we will need to overcome all 10 cm, but if we add third dimension (just fold the sheet so that the dots are next to each other), then we can, moving at the same speed in the third dimension, reach the second point much faster (since there will be less distance between the points). In principle, the same principle in Half - for fast movement in the usual four-dimensional space-time, movement in extra dimensions (Xena) is used.

C
Cvoxalury 13.01.21

warp 37

But the chapters and the soundtrack are separate things, and Alix still said 'It's a Combine Dark Fusion reactor' when the doors open in the control room. However, at the beginning of Ep1, Kleiner still spoke about the observed increases / anomalies in the level of dark energy. In any case, it only has a connection with dark energy as a science-pop brand, so to speak, and not with real science. As well as, say, the fact of "annihilation" of soldiers when hit by an energy ball of a pulse rifle.

N
N-ero 13.01.21

There are no real foundations, there is simply an induced scientific
likeness of Plus. All science in HL2 is the movement of bodies at an angle to the surface as applied to magnussons. Only this kind of science, if I am not mistaken, is taught in the 7th grade of the school.

R
Raudona sindromas 13.01.21

in fact, there is plenty of room for mysticism in Hl2. It may be less noticeable, but nonetheless present.

N
Nihiliant 13.01.21

Scientific basis? They are not. It's a game, it's for fun.

N
N-ero 13.01.21

there is a place for mysticism
For mysticism there is, for science not.

s
specter from TM 13.01.21

mysticism and ufo in hl2 v32

R
Raudona sindromas 13.01.21

mysticism and ufo in hl2

I created such a topic. Badtrip. 72 hours of bathing with a crippled mind. You said I was an idiot.

C
Cvoxalury 13.01.21

Of course they did.

A
Alert 13.01.21

wow wow boys palehche

C
Cvoxalury 13.01.21

And I didn't say anything like that. I didn’t say “of course, you idiot”, I said that the behavior of the forum population (who does not understand jokes) was predictable ...

J
JetRanger 13.01.21

Raudona sindromas
in Hl2 also has a place for mysticism.
Where is that place for mysticism ???

s
specter from TM 13.01.21

and you look into stasis, there brin flies with a bucket on his head, barney falls from the 10th floor to the 11th, the freeman is talking ...

N
N-ero 13.01.21

Where is that place for mysticism ???
Yes, at least the whole line with Vortigaunts and their cool super-skills is even very mystical (+ G-man and his mystery). If, of course, you understand the word "mysticism" in a general sense, and not as some kind of horror stories.

J
JetRanger 13.01.21

Well, Vortigaunts do not evoke spirits, they do not communicate with ghosts, they do not predict the future, they do not read their thoughts ... True, they can pull a person out of a coma only by eating an "extra-a-act!" pseudoscientific fantasy, like the rest of Half-Life.

N
N-ero 13.01.21

But what about arriving at stasis (very pseudo-scientific, yes) and getting Freeman and Alix out of the explosion? Vortigaunts appear in this scene as a kind of higher power, almost gods - quite a mystic.

C
Cvoxalury 13.01.21

JetRanger, it seems to me, does not quite correctly understand the meaning of the concept of mysticism. Mysticism is not fantasy or some kind of ghosts, it is the very concept, the mystery of the situation and phenomena. And the Worths, if I'm not mistaken, quite read the mind and quite look into the future. Plus they communicate remotely over any distance using unknown measures. Which is not even pseudo-scientific, but not at all tied to science.

So yes, Vortigaunts and G-man are the most mystical side of the CL, not the NF side (Vortigaunts do not use technology for their needs, they do not use technical and scientific concepts and methods, their actions would be much more correct to be called rituals, in fact - interdimensional shamanism). And this mysticism does not interfere with SF in any way, if anything, it is certainly not an anti-scientific thing.