3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
a
alex3540 30.10.19 03:30 am

How to translate Splinter Cell? (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell)

What do you think how to translate the name of the game? Splinter - like pain. Cell- cell, but how can it be associated with the main character or even the style of the game is unclear.
89 Comments
Sort by:
U
Unnoticed 30.10.19

Splinter is in English the splinter and Cell is probably the cage. So Splinter cell, like so

a
alex3540 30.10.19

What do you think how to translate the name of the game? Splinter - like pain. Cell- cell, but how can it be associated with the main character or even the style of the game is unclear.

U
Unnoticed 30.10.19

Splinter is in English the splinter and Cell is probably the cage. So Splinter cell, like so

C
Chernyy rycar 30.10.19

Splinter Cell is literally translated as the shard of glass. Now why is this(taken from the manual to the license. Pandora):
Third echelon, whose existence is denied by the US government deploys mobile units known as Splinter Cell. This elite squad of scouts, consisting of a single spy operating in place and support teams working at a distance. As the shard of glass, a Splinter Cell is small, sharp and nearly invisible.
Something like that...

U
Unnoticed 30.10.19

cool ... I didn't know )

a
alex3540 30.10.19

Yes, exactly! I heard about this, I forgot completely!

C
Chernyy rycar 30.10.19

Splinter Cell is literally translated as the shard of glass. Now why is this(taken from the manual to the license. Pandora):
Third echelon, whose existence is denied by the US government deploys mobile units known as Splinter Cell. This elite squad of scouts, consisting of a single spy operating in place and support teams working at a distance. As the shard of glass, a Splinter Cell is small, sharp and nearly invisible.
Something like that...

U
Unnoticed 30.10.19

cool ... I didn't know )

a
alex3540 30.10.19

Yes, exactly! I heard about this, I forgot completely!

M
Mountain_Elder 30.10.19

The people on this subject, I was talking to an American, a lover of books by Tom Clancy. Now, he said, that name is abstract, like most books of this author - Red October, The Sum of All Fears, Athena Sword etc. About a a shard of glass of speech does not go here. As he said, about it means the agent working alone or independent of the secret group intelligence network. In short, an accurate translation of even the Americans could not give =)

M
Mountain_Elder 30.10.19

The people on this subject, I was talking to an American, a lover of books by Tom Clancy. Now, he said, that name is abstract, like most books of this author - Red October, The Sum of All Fears, Athena Sword etc. About a a shard of glass of speech does not go here. As he said, about it means the agent working alone or independent of the secret group intelligence network. In short, an accurate translation of even the Americans could not give =)

U
Unnoticed 30.10.19

But I heard that there is this option: Splinter Cell may Splinter - the word is not translated? But the Cell is exactly the Cell.

M
Mountain_Elder 30.10.19

Nonsense =)

U
Unnoticed 30.10.19

But I heard that there is this option: Splinter Cell may Splinter - the word is not translated? But the Cell is exactly the Cell.

M
Mountain_Elder 30.10.19

Nonsense =)

S
Steamfucker 30.10.19

splinter [ ] 1. 1) Lucina; sliver Syn: chip I 1., sliver 1. 2) a pain to get a splinter (in one's finger) — to put the pain (in the thumb), a splinter in the finger to have a splinter (in one's finger) to have a splinter (in my finger) to extract, get out, remove a splinter — pull it out, to get a splinter She got the splinter out of my finger. — I she pulled a splinter from my finger. 3) splinter, chip splinters of glass — shards of glass splinter effect — shrapnel effect Syn: fragment , shiver II 1. 4) a breakaway group; the group emerged from organizations, parties, etc. Syn: splinter group , faction 2. 1) break down(Xia); split(smiling) Look at the mark made where that thin branch has splintered off. — Look at the mark, in the place where broke this thin branch. Syn: split 3., I cleave, rend 2) to divide(be) ( into to - into small pieces ) The stone rocketed into the glass, splintering it. The stone hit the glass and turned it into small pieces. Syn: shiver 2 II. 3) to break away ( from L. a large organization, forming a separate group ); ( splinter off )

cell I [ ] 1. 1) as a separate building a) a small monastery, the monastery ( usually a dependent or a subordinate of the larger ) The house was once a cell to the abbey. Once this house was the abode in the Abbey. b) a Hermitage, hut, and other small hermitages or elders ; a beggar, a poor, humble home; the beast's lair, den, hole; grave 2) how the space inside buildings a) cell b) a room, a chamber in the almshouse; a house in the crazy house) prison cell - the condemned cell d) imprisonment; punishment by solitary confinement, a guardhouse, stints lip You 'ave (=have) been absent without leave an' (=and) you'll go into cells for that. — So, AWOL; for that, we're supposed to go to the lip. 3) part of separation, which divided smth. a) the drawer, Bureau, cupboard Syn: pigeon-hole 1. 2) b) cell in the dovecote C) bee honeycomb g) segment of the ceiling in the Gothic arch d) item ( a few of these together form a battery, battery ) e) section of the wing W) compartment ( on ships, aircraft, etc.) h) cell ( a component of what-l. community, especially a revolutionary organization, the party of a new type, etc.) I) a Cup-shaped recess held by an individual polyp in a colony of polyps, a private coral in a coral reef K) honeycomb ( in cellular networks: coverage area of one station ) - cell broadcast 4) cell - blood cell - cancer cell - egg cell - germ cell - nerve cell - 5 cell line) with a hemispherical recess in a glass plate, where the sample is placed for examination under the microscope 2. 1) to imprison, to lock up in the cage 2) to live in a room of the type I cell 1. 2); to be in prison, serve his sentence; to sit with SMB. in one cell I celled for a couple o' (=of) with Darbsey years old, he was doin' (=doing) life. — I couple of years sat in the same cell with an old man of Darbe, and he was sentenced to life. 3) to keep smth. in a container-type cell I 1. 3) Honey, which the bee cells beneath briery boughs. — The honey that the bee folds in the cell under the prickly branches. II [ ] ( short for celluloid) sheet of transparent celluloid used in the production of animated films at the stage of primary transfer of pictures on film

1 2 3 30.10.19

Splinter Cell - Enclosed Arrows

S
Steamfucker 30.10.19

splinter [ ] 1. 1) Lucina; sliver Syn: chip I 1., sliver 1. 2) a pain to get a splinter (in one's finger) — to put the pain (in the thumb), a splinter in the finger to have a splinter (in one's finger) to have a splinter (in my finger) to extract, get out, remove a splinter — pull it out, to get a splinter She got the splinter out of my finger. — I she pulled a splinter from my finger. 3) splinter, chip splinters of glass — shards of glass splinter effect — shrapnel effect Syn: fragment , shiver II 1. 4) a breakaway group; the group emerged from organizations, parties, etc. Syn: splinter group , faction 2. 1) break down(Xia); split(smiling) Look at the mark made where that thin branch has splintered off. — Look at the mark, in the place where broke this thin branch. Syn: split 3., I cleave, rend 2) to divide(be) ( into to - into small pieces ) The stone rocketed into the glass, splintering it. The stone hit the glass and turned it into small pieces. Syn: shiver 2 II. 3) to break away ( from L. a large organization, forming a separate group ); ( splinter off )

cell I [ ] 1. 1) as a separate building a) a small monastery, the monastery ( usually a dependent or a subordinate of the larger ) The house was once a cell to the abbey. Once this house was the abode in the Abbey. b) a Hermitage, hut, and other small hermitages or elders ; a beggar, a poor, humble home; the beast's lair, den, hole; grave 2) how the space inside buildings a) cell b) a room, a chamber in the almshouse; a house in the crazy house) prison cell - the condemned cell d) imprisonment; punishment by solitary confinement, a guardhouse, stints lip You 'ave (=have) been absent without leave an' (=and) you'll go into cells for that. — So, AWOL; for that, we're supposed to go to the lip. 3) part of separation, which divided smth. a) the drawer, Bureau, cupboard Syn: pigeon-hole 1. 2) b) cell in the dovecote C) bee honeycomb g) segment of the ceiling in the Gothic arch d) item ( a few of these together form a battery, battery ) e) section of the wing W) compartment ( on ships, aircraft, etc.) h) cell ( a component of what-l. community, especially a revolutionary organization, the party of a new type, etc.) I) a Cup-shaped recess held by an individual polyp in a colony of polyps, a private coral in a coral reef K) honeycomb ( in cellular networks: coverage area of one station ) - cell broadcast 4) cell - blood cell - cancer cell - egg cell - germ cell - nerve cell - 5 cell line) with a hemispherical recess in a glass plate, where the sample is placed for examination under the microscope 2. 1) to imprison, to lock up in the cage 2) to live in a room of the type I cell 1. 2); to be in prison, serve his sentence; to sit with SMB. in one cell I celled for a couple o' (=of) with Darbsey years old, he was doin' (=doing) life. — I couple of years sat in the same cell with an old man of Darbe, and he was sentenced to life. 3) to keep smth. in a container-type cell I 1. 3) Honey, which the bee cells beneath briery boughs. — The honey that the bee folds in the cell under the prickly branches. II [ ] ( short for celluloid) sheet of transparent celluloid used in the production of animated films at the stage of primary transfer of pictures on film

U
Unnoticed 30.10.19

But I decided to check in a search engine and typed Splinter Cell,I found Splinter Cell who don't believe go here. There is an article.

1 2 3 30.10.19

Splinter Cell - Enclosed Arrows