3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
B
Brando9 11.03.21 01:55 pm

How to start a PC without a button

Good afternoon everyone! The power button flew, how can I start the computer from the keyboard, for example, or from the mouse. The UEFI BIOS on the Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard, I checked the BIOS, but I could not find a suitable setting.
12 Comments
Sort by:
A
Anagliph 11.03.21

Brando9 You
cannot turn on the power from the keyboard or mouse.
The bottom line is that the Power button physically closes the contacts that give an impulse causing a reaction. A type of starter in a car.

If the button on the case does not work (and you are sure of it), then there is a way to turn on the computer without it - to close the contacts on the motherboard manually (with a thin screwdriver, for example). Well, or you can, as in the best traditions of militants, tear off the wires leading to the button, strip them and close them))) However, you need to be careful and careful. Especially if you tear off the wires ...

Below is a diagram of what to close:

You need to find the PWRSW connectors, disconnect the wires coming from them and close the PWR and Ground ~ contacts for one second (I circled in green).

Here is a link to the description of the motherboard in English: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414969/Asus-M5a97-Le-R2-0.html?page=38

Naturally, everything you do, you do on your own fear and risk. Responsibility for the consequences will remain with you))

b
bazilews 11.03.21

Anagliph
I agree. You can also connect the reset button to the power button contacts and start the computer from it to make it more convenient.

B
Brando9 11.03.21

Anagliph
Thanks for the answer, it is a pity of course that is impossible, I somehow run it peremykaya wiring, I trick from is key, so that in principle the rules just like to poestetichnee, and then the whole thing sticking out))
bazilews
possible, but whereas in the case of wild freeze, I can not even reboot normally

b
bazilews 11.03.21

Brando9
Why, turn it off and on, that's all.

A
Anagliph 11.03.21

Brando9 wrote:
in case of a wild hang, I can't even reboot normally.
With the RESET button, it's a good alternative. In the event of a freeze, a 4-second hold of the Power button will turn off the computer, if anything.

B
Brando9 11.03.21

bazilews
Anagliph
Ok, thanks guys, I'll try with a reset!

b
bazilews 11.03.21

Brando9
Then write whether it worked or not. Good luck.

B
Brando9 11.03.21

bazilews I
did everything, a minute's work, I plugged the connector from the button into the socket for the power button on the motherboard, everything works! Thank you again for your help, I would give you a plus, but this gratitude system is absent here))

b
bazilews 11.03.21

Brando9
Not at all. If you still have problems, contact us.

V
VITYA_KOLYADENKO 11.03.21

Anagliph
Maybe you, of course, disassembled the computer and know better (or I don’t know what the starter does except the start). But I remember exactly that the power button puts the computer in the "on" state, which does not disappear when the light is turned off.

A
Anagliph 11.03.21

VITYA_KOLYADENKO
You probably confuse a short-term voltage surge with a complete blackout.
In the power supplies, there is a special relay that, in the event of a voltage surge, turns off the power from some computer nodes so that they do not burn out, and the computer goes into reboot.

The bottom line is that the button works according to a certain (flashed in ROM) algorithm: if the Button is pressed and released, then there is a reaction to the power supply, if, during the working state (with the computer turned on), the contact is closed and held for 4 seconds, the shutdown command is given, if close for 1 second, then on different BIOS there may be a different reaction or Reset, or hibernation.

If the computer is completely de-energized, the "button readings" state returns to the Off mode. Try to turn off the Power supply while the computer is running (if you have a button on it), and turn it on after 3 seconds. After that, your computer will not automatically boot, it will be "turned off".

V
VasiliyGal 11.03.21

You can configure the inclusion of a PC through a router via a LAN cable. I just don't remember how