3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Arti 12.03.21 01:34 am

Need advice on the temperature conditions of hard drives.

Well, the first screw is still acceptable, but the second is already a reason to think about it.
As a tip, I can recommend placing the hard drives away from each other (if they are tightly underneath each other) so that they do not heat up each other. As for cooling, in fact this is a question of 100-200 rubles))) Either install an additional cooler for the case so that it blows directly on the screws, or find it specifically for hard drives, they are also not very expensive
4 Comments
Sort by:
S
Sanchez ramirez 12.03.21

Very poor performance, it is not recommended to use discs in this mode, since high temperatures greatly accelerate the process of degradation of the magnetic layer. The normal temperature for a railway is in the range somewhere from 35 to 40 degrees, higher is no longer desirable. I advise you to think about the organization of cooling. Just yesterday I put a 120 mm valve on the front panel, reducing the temperature of the disk by 5-6 degrees. The video card has a good temperature, but the processor is also too high for idle time.

By the way, it would be interesting to look at the SMART of these disks.

A
Alexander Bekker 12.03.21

Arti
Yes, my body is old and impractical, it's hard to come up with something there. And so far there is not even such a ridiculous amount for cooling. I tried to transfer the new heating screw to the upper shelf in the case, barely arranging all the wires. It wasn’t designed for hard drives, so I left him just lying there. As a result, the temperature of the main propeller dropped from 43–44 ° C to 37 ° C, and the new propeller lost only 1–2 degrees. And that's good. Now he could not even be heard, which is a plus. But when I turned on the PC, the Windows booted only the second time. The screen said "disk read error" and was prompted to press the key combination to reboot. I don’t understand what caused this, because I had never encountered such a thing before. But the problem, in my opinion, is clearly not a hardware one, tk. the screw works properly, the Windows booted up quickly and nothing stupid.

Sanchez Ramirez
SMART said the condition is good. But it may be that the screws did not work long enough in such conditions. Who knows. Let's take a look. For many, even at 70 ° C, they work regularly and for a long time. Others say that this is a critical temperature. And you don't know who to believe.

S
Sanchez ramirez 12.03.21

Fade Baker wrote:
SMART said good condition
says nothing. You need to see the readings themselves, in particular, parameters 01 and C8 are of interest.

p
pekabir 12.03.21

take it out of the hull. the most budgetary cooling option