3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
L
Leshugan 27.04.21 11:24 pm

Running the game without swap file (Valheim)

About the paging file Disputes about whether a paging file is needed / whether it is possible / necessary to disable it does not subside and most likely will not subside, and there is a simple explanation for this. Users for the most part roughly understand what it is, but still cannot decide whether to turn it off.

When you ask if you need to disable it, it means that you absolutely did not understand what a paging file is and what it does. If someone says Yes or No to you, then with a high probability you, instead of arguments, will say that some dick from the mountain says differently and better not, but like this. After reading everything below, you will no longer ask what is needed and not needed. You yourself can make the right choice for yourself.

So, the paging file is a file, by default, located on the system disk. File name: pagefile.sys, In the case of Windows 10, this is also swapfile.sys. There are two of them and they are at the root of the C drive by default. The size of pagefile.sys is by default equal to the size of your RAM. Windows sets this size automatically at the stage of Windows installation. Windows makes it equal to RAM, so that if the RAM is full, it would be possible to refer to the paging file. This is the same memory, but not hardware in the computer, but in the form of a file. swapfile.sys is needed for the same reasons, but not for the main software, but for the proprietary tiled from Microsoft.

And here's the most important question: why would anyone turn off the paging file at all, if it essentially doubles the RAM.
Let it be known to you, if you have enough RAM to comfortably run simultaneously running programs, then you do not just need a paging file - it is harmful to you. The thing is that any application that Windows considers not important can be uploaded to your, God forbid, SSD, and then restored back to RAM. The price of such a trick is the quality wear and tear of your, God forbid, the second time, SSD-drive. Because the more calls to the drive, the sooner its service life will expire. And if there are a lot of programs and some need to be constantly minimized, expect Windows to stupidly consider the application inactive in order to flush data from RAM to the paging file.

Some might say that by disabling the paging file, the dxdiag diagnostic tool assumes that virtual memory is still being used. There is no such thing. It is used, but already in RAM. Only the principle has changed. And here everyone gets confused, thinking that turning off nothing turns off. Disconnected. And Windows no longer rapes HDD / SSD.

HDD
You may wonder about the paging file as the owner of the HDD. But for you, the advice will be the same - disable the paging file. Yes, everything is the same on the HDD, only the number of write cycles is not limited by the HDD itself, but the wear and tear goes exactly the same.

RAM 4 GB
This is masochism, of course, but if there is nowhere to go and you are limited to only 4 GB of RAM, then yes - do not disable the paging file, because it is simply impossible to work on a computer with such an amount of RAM if it is not a virtual machine. 4 GB is not enough for the simultaneous operation of a browser, a player and a graphics editor. Someone will say: no, you can live. No, you can't live like that. This is not to live, but to suffer. But this is already for those who argue, speculate. And there is nothing to talk about.

There is a computer The
RAM must be more than 4 GB
The swap file is not automatically needed
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Withdrawal
With each passing day, the paging file technology is losing its relevance, despite the fact that the technology itself was updated quite often by Microsoft. The principle does not change anyway. The price of relatively bearable PC work will be HDD / SSD wear. So if you have 8 GB or more of RAM, forget about the swap file. It needs to be turned off. Let's not forget to note something for those who are bored at the computer and this someone is wondering: what will happen if I have 32 GB and the swap file is turned on. This is what I will personally see, what difference will I find? This user will not see any difference, because the amount of RAM will be enough for more than comfortable work of the PC, but Windows will still upload data to the paging file, despite the fact that the user has enough memory. This is how virtual memory works.

PS There are old programs and even ancient games that do not want to work without a swap file. Here the recommendation is simple - to look for an alternative to software, and with regards to games, then after playing, disable the paging file.

Source: https://win10tweaker.pro/forum/topic/%d1%84%d0%b0%d0%b9%d0%bb-%d0%bf%d0%be%d0%b4%d0%ba%d0% b0% d1% 87% d0% ba% d0% b8-2
The game does not want to work without this damn swap file, it crashes at 32 gigabytes of RAM then ...
Are there options to start without a swap file?
13 Comments
Sort by:
L
Leshugan 27.04.21

Subaru MotorSports
Are There Launch Options Without Swap File?

Option (S) - plural

I
IngwardIn 27.04.21

Subaru MotorSports
Why are you trying to be smart in tech forums when you need help yourself?
Leshugan
I disagree with this article, the swap file is corny necessary for the operating system to work correctly, especially when multitasking.
An OS can work properly without a swap file, until a certain point or before you start using a certain software. Accordingly, there are certain tasks, programs or games where the swap file is needed.
In cases with a sufficient amount of RAM, the value of the paging file should simply be set to the choice of the system. It will not take up a lot of space, it will not have a positive effect on the quick action.
There is no need to worry about the longevity of the SSD, if paging files have an impact, then this impact is minimal.

c
close one 27.04.21

While I was listening to various mothers' optimizers, as the author of this article; turned off "unnecessary" services for different guides and cleaned the registers of all kinds of cleaners and cleaned the memory cached in the RAM - my Windows went down stably once every six months or a year. On off Windows with a key from ibey for 200r (did not want to put a crack), Windows has been plowing for the 4th year without bugs, glitches and brakes, downloading updates.

Turn on the swap file and don't force your brain. I have 16 gig of RAM and for a 16-hour session, it is written to swap from half a gig of data, which is then simply read from time to time. As far as I know, Windows likes to upload to swap, for example, links to registry keys and does not like it when they hang in the RAM. And he is not engaged in endless rewriting of this paging, as the people from the article are trying to convince.
Well, worries about the SSD resource in 2021 no longer cause anything but laughter.

But if it's super important, then no, there are no options. Either you turn on the swap, or you don't use the software that requires it. I myself asked this question with the game Fuel, it also did not start without swapping.

L
Leshugan 27.04.21

close one
"While I was listening to various mothers' optimizers." I don’t listen to mother’s optimizers, if you listen to everyone in a row and lay down on your PC blades, this is your business. I can tell the grain from the chaff. And in this case, the article was written by the first in the world who described absolutely all Windows 10 services and wrote an excellent Windows 10 Tweaker software. This is a developer with many years of experience, not a "mother's optimizer" but to each his own.

L
Leshugan 27.04.21

IngwardIn
Thanks for the adequate answer. People have completely forgotten how to communicate normally. While I'm using FP for the game. And I never needed him again.

c
close one 27.04.21

Leshugan
No, he is exactly the mother's optimizer, trying to sell his tweaker to other mother's optimizers for 500 rubles.
you do not just need a paging file - it is harmful to you - indeed, when the software instead of crashing or a message about insufficient memory simply unloads part of the data, it is very harmful. Much more "useful" when it crashes, yeah.
Increases the quality wear and tear of your, God forbid, the second time, SSD-drive - despite the fact that the resources of modern ssd will be enough to survive several generations of drives and they will quickly become obsolete to the floppy level than they will use up their resource, and write operations to swap with sufficient the amount of RAM, the modern version of Windows does negligible, that this does not even affect performance in any way.

No, not a mother's optimizer at all.
Tips like "use LTSC builds of Windows because they show a 3% performance advantage on systems with 2 core CPUs over regular Windows versions." No kidding, I recently saw such a "study" from another mother's optimizer (probably also someone very respected), demonstrating the preference of corporate Windows over the usual one for hardcore gamers.
3% for hardcore gamers on 2 cores, you get the idea.
All these optimization tips were ten years out of date and were relevant in the days of 2-4 thread low-power CPUs and short-lived ssd. But yes, you're right, to each his own.

I
IngwardIn 27.04.21

close one
Regarding the dubious usefulness of windows tweaker and other shenanigans, I agree.
I used a tweaker on an old laptop in an attempt to squeeze out at least some gain in performance.
As a result, my Windows broke over time. This tweaker cannot stop some services at all, as a result, the services are blocked so that you cannot open them, but they continue to function in the background processors.
I also cheated with services, sat for an hour, selected and turned them off.

As a result, I came to the conclusion that everything that works in Win10 is already optimized and without our intervention, and if it has any effect on the FPS in games and the speed of the system, then getting rid of this influence, the increase, if any, will be invisible.
And on those systems on which this increase will be visible, it is probably better to switch to a less demanding OS.

The only point I see is to disable telemetry, permissions in the privacy tab. And disable disk indexing.

In general, such a stereotype and enthusiasm to optimize Windows, arose from the time of the start of Win10, who knows, let him correct me.
In reality, there was some kind of service that worked incorrectly and slowed down the system, and turning it off gave an increase in performance. But even then, the fix was not long in coming.

S
SonyK_2 27.04.21

Leshugan
Leshugan wrote: A
game without this damn swap file does not want to work, it crashes at 32 gigs of RAM ...
If there is more than one disk in the system, move the FP from the system to another, which is less pitiful. And to make it with a variable size - it will take up little space on the disk, and it will be used when there is not enough RAM (with such a volume it is unlikely), or if some program / game requires it. After restarting the computer, the FP size returns to the minimum set.
Spoiler

L
Leshugan 27.04.21

SonyK_2
I have two SSD drives for the system and an HDD for games. Since the HDD is larger and the files are more pity on it, I kill the SSD

S
SonyK_2 27.04.21

Leshugan
Leshugan wrote:
... two SSDs for the system and an HDD for games. Since the HDD is larger and the files are more pity on it - I'm killing the SSD Is there
not enough space for games on the SSD? - if you feel sorry for the HDD, other reasons to put games on it are not clear. The load from them will be higher, especially in more modern ones - with "open" worlds, etc.

L
Leshugan 27.04.21

SonyK_2
Just in case one of the disks dies

G
Gera007 27.04.21

As an option, try to make a RAM Disk and throw a swap on it. But it seems to me that this will not change anything)

B
Baklazavr 24.05.21

the author does not even know what the swap file is for