3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
T
Tim slice 05.08.21 10:45 pm

Jackdaw - what is this bird? Brig or not brig? (Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag)

I don't know if anyone has gone into this topic so deeply. However, the Jackdaw is a very strange ship from a maritime point of view. It seems to be a brig. But some kind of clumsy.
I'll start in order.
1. Ships differ in the number of masts and sailing equipment. The brig has two masts. One of them is the foremast, and the second is the mainmast. The grotto is called so from the Dutch "big", and in English there is a consonant "great" great. So the mainmast is the largest mast. This is usually the way it is. But if you look closely at the Galka masts, the largest mast is the foremast.
2. It's very funny when Edward shouts: "Loosen the mizzen!" or "Raise the cruise topsails!" The fact is that the mizzen is the third mast, which is typical for frigates. A brig like "Jackdaw" simply doesn't have it. However, the developers or translators thought to play on our ignorance and decided that it would be fine anyway.
3. Further, in general, trash. Each mast consists of several parts. Below, the thickest is the column of the mast, further thinner is the topm, further even thinner is the topmast, etc. There is also a bom-bram-topmast and a hold-topmast, but not the essence. On each part of the mast there is a sail on which the sail is attached. For example, on the mainmast from the bottom up: the main mast rey, the main mast rey, the bram rey mainsail, etc. The most important sails on ships are located directly on the yarn of the mast column. They are the main ones because they are the largest in area, which means they give the most speed. These sails are named after the masts: foresail on foremast and mainsail on mainmast. So the "Jackdaw" stupidly has no focus! Where does she get such a speed hz. Let's say at the expense of the grotto)
I dare to assume that the foresail was stupidly removed for ease of control, because the lower sail would have covered a rather large part of the view. And so that gamers do not whine, the developers took and shifted all the sails one mast higher. So it turned out that the foremast was higher than the mainsail.
4. Okay, let's say that there is no fore, and instead of it there is a fore-topsail sail on the fore-top. There should be a fore-brahmsel on the bram-top, but ... instead of that "Jackdaw" has 3 on the fore-bram-top !!! THREE CARL !!! Rhea !!! AND THREE SAILS ON ONE MAST !!! On the thinnest mast! THREE!!! Okay, let's say. Sometimes on the masts of sailing ships, 2 yards were attached to make it easier for sailors to work with sails of a smaller area. In this case, for example, the topsail was divided into upper and lower. But three yards! and even more so at the very top of the mast! never put. This is not reasonable. The area of ​​the sails is reduced towards the top so as not to break the masts and so as not to overturn the ship. And the "Jackdaw" has no foresight, but at the very top of the sails there is more than enough. So sometimes it turns it over in the port during loading (whoever is in the subject, he will understand).

Total:
In general, it seems that initially the developers wanted Edward to go on a frigate. But then the foremast was removed, and the mainsail and mizzen were moved forward. Here is the newly made foremast and turned out to be higher than the mainsail. Well, Edward's teams remained the same as if he went on a frigate.
With the yards on the fore-bram-topmast, it’s quite a disaster.
By the way, other npc schooners, brigs and frigates are shown more or less reliably. Only with "Jackdaw" something is wrong. If anyone has noticed any other maritime inaccuracies, I will gladly discuss with you.
3 Comments
Sort by:
E
Eugen_Snegirjow 01.08.22

I don't know about ships. But I noticed that Jackdaw is like a brig, but differs from other brigs in sails and the size between is larger than a brig, but smaller than a frigate

P
Protocol10 01.08.22

Tim Slice
Respect to your level of knowledge. It was interesting to read.

_
_N7. 08.10.22

Of course, I don’t understand all these ships, but once upon a time I read on AC Wiki that Jackdaw is something between a frigate and a brig. Here is a quote "The Jackdaw is a cross between a frigate and a brig (length and weight and armament like a frigate, layout of spars and rigging (masts and sails) like a brig)."