3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
l
lilscroll 20.08.21 12:14 am

The capacitor on the video card is burnt out, but it works.

Good day! A little more than a couple of weeks ago, I needed to move the computer to another room (this can somehow help), and since I was too lazy to get my filter, I decided to take the old filter (it was slightly repaired) and another cord from the power supply ... Most likely, when I turned it on, after 5 minutes a blue screen flew out, because the speaker squeaked about the reboot. I immediately realized that it was a bad thing and decided to return everything as it was .. Fortunately, when the computer returned to the place, it was working properly and worked quietly ... I just threw the films and went to another room to watch them, after turning off the computer. Then a few hours later he returned to him again to download another movie and play a little, so I go into the game, play for 3-4 minutes and the blue screen of death flies out, after the reboot there is no effect, just a black screen. Without hesitation I decide to reset the motherboard bios (because it does not work well due to the old firmware). And a miracle! It helped! I decided not to torture him anymore and go to bed. Sutra it worked properly, but as soon as I decided to start the game - a blue screen after 2-3 minutes. And then a black screen (the error was 116). After a few reboots, I still managed to go into Windows, and somewhere on the internet I read that it could be a driver, I reinstalled the driver (though in the process, before the reboot after installation the image did not appear) it worked. I played for several hours and everything was fine ... The next day, the story is the same. I just updated the drivers, checked for viruses and everything was fine. By the way, sometimes after turning it on, it either did not turn on the monitor at all, or it hung up on the smd, but after reinstalling / updating the drivers, everything was fine. EXACTLY a week later, I have this garbage again, a blue screen with a 116th error and again, either hangs on the smd, or does not show anything. I freaked out, and reinstalled Windows, and at the same time decided to examine the video card and found something on the board (pictures). And I think: "Was, was not." I put it back in, reinstall Windows and for more than a week (the second went) everything is fine. I lost it with Fourmark, I play games - nothing, everything is fine. There are no artifacts, nothing that I described earlier, everything works stably for days. The question is, how can this be explained? And is it very dangerous that in the pictures? (I can't solder myself and I'm afraid I'll screw it up). The most interesting thing is that I do not know when it happened, because this is one of the last problems with her. By the way, there was another funny moment when I wanted to install "Opera GX", during the installation I got a blue screen with error 116, and there was a hardware error 114 (photo below). And after a reboot (normal without bugs and gags), the browser left itself and everything is ok. (error 116 - TDR Video failure)

12 Comments
Sort by:
I
IngwardIn 20.08.21

lilscroll
I did not understand, but on what basis is such a conclusion in general? Why are these fortune-telling on backlays? If the condender has flown, it will swell, you just need to open it and look. In the photo, it looks more like the gasket has leaked.

The fact that the video card works without one of the capacitors is not surprising, but the fact that errors fly out and failures occur looks like a consequence.
Capacitors are needed in order to smooth out the ripple and supply direct current to the GPU, from this we can conclude that the operation of a video card without one capacitor will directly affect its life and durability.

I suppose that the situation can be smoothed out a little by using a video card without drivers, so that simple tasks during the operation of the PC are more processed by the CPU, as a result of which the load on the GPU will be less, but I will not vouch for the reliability of this approach.

By the way, if you have a soldering iron with a thin nose and other related ones, then it should not be difficult to solder the capacitor and solder a new one.

D
Deshang 20.08.21

The second photo shows 2 broken fuses (these are not conduits). If you are lucky, it will be enough to replace them. If not, you will have to diagnose multiple components.
Try it yourself or carry it to the service - it's up to you.

l
lilscroll 20.08.21

IngwardIn
I took a picture of the backlate to make the 2 burned components more clearly visible. (I read on the internet on Russian and foreign forums that these are Conders)

S
Space Ðœarine 20.08.21

Deshang
These are not fuses, but ceramic capacitors.
lilscroll The
video card remains operational because these capacitors are not required in the circuit.
But without them, the GPU and memory can be unstable, since without these capacitors there will be too large high-frequency ripple.

Usually, the failure of 2 such capacitors has almost no effect on the operation of the video card, but you already have more than half of them not soldered on the card, the manufacturer saved from the heart. Bring the video card for repair, let them solder and check, maybe somewhere else something is out of order.

I
IngwardIn 20.08.21

lilscroll
I wrote in Russian, in order to make sure for sure, you need to open the card, and not guess by the backplate, since the main components are inside.
And if you don’t know how to open / are afraid to find out, at least for yourself, the cause of the malfunction for sure, then what was the point in starting this topic, just to drive the air.
You carry it to the SC and ask questions there. As far as I know, a capacitor is not an expensive component, so repairs from a conscientious master should not be expensive.

M
Marsj 20.08.21

For the electrical diagram of the video card, see what kind of trouble can happen.

S
Space Ðœarine 20.08.21

IngwardIn
Friend, where did you see the backplate on this card, can I ask you?)
And so it is true, in addition to the punched two conduits on top, the same can be on the inside of the board. In any case, you need to carry it to repair, re-solder these 2 and inspect the entire card.

S
Space Ðœarine 20.08.21

IngwardIn
Shine your mind?
Did I write this about some leaked gaskets (there are no traces in the photo), about backplates (which are not there either)?
I wonder if the author himself did not write in the title about the "burnt out capacitor", would you see it in the photo yourself (by the way, there are 2 of them, not 1), or would your message end with "leaked gaskets"?
You also write to the author with such a collision.
I wrote in Russian
: D

S
Space Ðœarine 20.08.21

IngwardIn
About the "leaked gaskets" I wrote to the fact that nothing is clear from this side, I see a stain of some kind, but I do not claim that this gasket has leaked.
Eh, if only before entering those. section, to know at least in what places on the video card the gaskets are placed so that any random spot of dust should not be confused with spots of leaked thermal pads.

two kotsyk on soldering
Are you talking about 2 literally burst capacitors? : D

Translate Backplate literally and you will understand why I applied this particular word to the back side.
Backplate - back plate. How long has one of the sides of the board been called a "plate"? Even a non-literal translation means a separate back element. In fact, I understand that the back of a video card is often mistakenly called a backplate by people who do not quite understand what it is. But it's funny that you started to push something about the translation, and not just answered "what did you dig in to the smallest detail."

because I am not competent enough
Oh well

But at the autopsy I would try to draw a conclusion
Exactly?

Apparently you are here fighting for the title of smart guy in those.
I am not struggling in the sphere , this is all lies.

Okay, seriously, I'm not negative. Just first I read one comment about 2 fuses, then I hooked your comments about gaskets and backplates, before that I remembered another Temka in which they wrote nonsense and something carried me away.
Sometimes I forget that this is a purely gaming forum and for the most part it is inhabited by ordinary norms, not technologists.

I
IngwardIn 20.08.21

Space Marine wrote:
Eh, if only before entering those. section, to know at least in what places on the video card
As far as I saw, gaskets are also put on the BPM. As a techie, it’s strange that you haven’t come across such a phenomenon.))
Space Marine wrote:
Backplate - back plate.
Well, ok-ok, the plate ... it's iron. Well, I was mistaken, you can't do that, here in fact I corrected it.
Space Marine wrote:
Are you talking about 2 literally burst capacitors? : D
Yes, because the conductors themselves are inside, I have a circuit on the back of the xs. In order to understand this, I have to see the inner part. And in general, more will be seen there.
Space Marine wrote:
I'm not fighting, it's all lies.
Yah? Exactly?))

Space Marine wrote:
Okay, seriously, I'm not negative.
Yes, no question, you know better, go for it, I'm so clean that from my lamer experience I know, I can assume. It just looks from the outside as if he decided to be smart. But I’m probably my own fault, I shouldn’t have given reasons, since having written about the backplate and gaskets, I understood perfectly well from the beginning that it was possible to get to the bottom of this. I did not attach any importance to the backplate, but to the leak, this is by the way.
Eniway, so that the diagnosis is probably made from the inside.

S
Space Ðœarine 20.08.21

IngwardIn
As far as I have seen, they also put spacers on the BPM. Being a techie, it’s strange that you haven’t come across such a phenomenon.))
Yes, but on this board the place of "spots" and the location of BPM, to put it mildly, do not converge. BPM is much to the right of the pictures.

Yes, because the conduits themselves are inside, in order to understand this, I need to see the inner part.
These little things are ceramic capacitors. Full length, so to speak.
They really cost a penny, less than 10 rubles per thing.
Spoiler
Although maybe you generally mean other conduits that are on the inside.

Well, again it looks like I'm trying to be smart: D

But in fact, we both wrote everything right to the author, the card needs to be carried to the SC, re-solder what is in sight and conduct a full examination of the card for other defects. Everything else is just flooding for the sake of flooding)

I
IngwardIn 20.08.21

Space Marine
Space Marine wrote:
Although maybe you generally mean other conduits that are on the inside.
Yes, but these blown up capacitors, without peering, took for soldering.
Space Marine wrote:
Well, again it looks like I'm trying to be clever: D
No, no, this is informative.
So there is no point in looking at them from the inside.
Well, here I am also wrong. On the back side, in this case, the diagnosis is made sanely.