3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Archi_15 29.09.21 12:04 pm

Does desktop wallpaper affect performance?

I heard such an opinion that the wallpaper of a larger (non-native) resolution will eat a little RAM. Is it so? And if so, why?
I want to put UHD wallpapers, as in native resolution it looks kind of sucks and soapy
3 Comments
Sort by:
R
Ryazancev 29.09.21

Archi_15
You take 2 pictures. Large, good quality and the same, only compressed into the native resolution of the monitor by the photo editor. Switch from and monitor your RAM consumption. In theory, the difference in RAM consumption will be equal to the difference in the sizes of these two files (But not exactly). In any case, you should not bother on this topic, tk. If I display my high-quality photo 8000 * 6000 (processed from RAW 14bit) on the monitor 2560 * 1440. That difference between 8000 * 6000 and 2560 * 1440 I will not see after competent compression. The monitor will not show more points anyway! And a couple of tens of MB of RAM consumption usually does not change the weather.
Check it yourself and draw conclusions.

k
kurskiy 29.09.21

Archi_15 They do
, but it was somehow relevant somewhere in the time of the 4th "stump" with 256/512 MB of "operatives" of the first DDR. Now you don't have to bother.

A
Alex2010god 28.10.21

They have a negligible effect - with modern computers :), even a bunch of video screensavers can be queued up ...