3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
K
Katanar 03.11.21 08:47 pm

How do you feel about plagiarism in games?

I often see in games that somewhere I've already seen this, not just copied some thing, but copied whole levels, one to one, it's just annoying. For me, understanding something new is quite difficult to come up with, but when they copy the same situations, levels, and thinking that no one will notice it, this is kapets.
5 Comments
Sort by:
M
MunchkiN 616 03.11.21

I find this a very big perspective problem. but in order ...
plagiarism is not the use of free content and licensed content. in the modern world there is every megasan and other distributed assets for different licensing models. therefore, you can expect that in different games, especially not in AAA +, you will see the same models, textures, animations and sounds, etc. it was like that before. I'm playing on YouTube in some kind of old good German RPG and I hear the familiar screams of a man from Gothic. and I heard something else in the advertisement of some browser game. because I heard the death scream of a man from Gothic many times and he is such a characteristic inexperienced in general. if we develop this theme further in Gothic 1, near some ruins there is a sound where something like the noise of the wind and the cry of a certain bird. the same sound. or rather a piece of it I heard in the series Lost, when I passed by in general and was shown on TV. there is also a topic that samples of the musical instrument library can be sold. Well, there I saw several indie games where the character is such a woman with a short cloak and such a stooped man in a mantle, and all this is from some program that makes animations and they are often used in a tutorial on this, which are memorable for me.
all this is not a very big problem and it is possible that games in the future will have more such non-unique resources because the development is becoming more expensive. maybe someday neural networks will learn to make models and everything will be of high quality then in games everything will be similar but diverse.

The next level of plagiarism, which is not clear whether plagiarized or not, is the use of some real adherents as objects in games. most often it can be architecture and some historical museum artifacts. and now they are already protected by some kind of copyright that they cannot be directly copied from the original. and it does not seem rather strange that in the stalker there are, for example, Soviet cars, which are recreated quite accurately, but the Kalash is not accurate. and there was a kind of trial where a manufacturer of American military equipment filed a lawsuit that cars are used in popular games and the court lost with the wording that it was kind of a part of the cultural authentic. it's like imagining a movie or a war game without recognizable paraphernalia. and this is very strange. because it works selectively.
on the other hand, if it didn’t work, it would be necessary to create content using a combinatorial method, and the number of combinations would quickly end and any studios could license them and would have to distort a certain reference more strongly. otherwise, some kind of zhta would file a lawsuit that the cars in your game are similar to her cars, and those cars, in turn, are similar to real prototypes of cars with changed headlights and dashboards, and there should be some kind of commission to evaluate how similar it is and whether it is plagiarism. and you also need to ask yourself how objective and fair this commission will be, because in its defense it can also say it makes a great contribution to culture and was a landmark of American companies, etc.
or such a hypothetical situation - ships from the Witcher 2 and 3. and the royal galley is recalled - and I thought it was a fictional ship, but it seems that it is quite definitely a slowed-down galley from some textbook or reference book on a historical prototype and also with some other ships. therefore, if you find such a reference and simulate it, you can be accused of plagiarism.

the next stage of the problem is the problem of the optimal form and the combinatorial problem, as a result of which a situation of spontaneous unintentional reproduction of something can arise.
this situation can be represented as several limited series of random numbers that many people will collect, and with a certain number of them and combinatorial variable degrees of the code, it is possible that identical sets of numbers may appear in different people who came to them independently by their intellectual labor. The situation can be aggravated by the fact that in fact the number of degrees of freedom of options can be limited by a functional law, which establishes the requirement to follow the laws. I call it the airplane problem. Let's say I need a rational plane that is authentic to physical laws for some tasks. and it is expected that solving them I will come to the shapes of the flow and layout of real aircraft based on the invented characteristics of the engine and its type. and it will look like significant plagiarism. and this applies to absolutely everything.
once upon a time I conducted such an experiment - I decided to come up with an anime character, however, having an anime sailor moon as an experience. which imposed restrictions on the setting and clothing on me and required 2 combat and civilian uniforms. but the character must be a unique awakened warrior in a sailor suit that could arise in some genetic season 6. basically my choice was to determine the color of the eyes, hairstyle and its shape, height, voice and character. and it was also a good idea to have a unique item that you can punish demons. I came up with all this and went in search of this or a similar anime character. and unexpectedly quickly found him. and very much like horror. In parallel, I found a character who visually himself looks like a sailor moon and has a slightly different hairstyle, but most likely also some kind of sorceress girl. but if you take all the anime mmm. according to my podshchet there should be about 5-20 clone characters for each character if we abstract from the stylistics and depict them in the same style according to the facts. mk anime, in general, it assumes.
Another example, I came up with a sci-fi setting in the style of the 80s and 70s, which I knew superficially from a number of films and cartoons. and I created and went to study and deepen this topic, feeding everything to my meat grinder and analyzing, bringing into a system of combinations. and found such a cartoon that I am 100% sure that I have never seen, however, it has a lot of parallels both in terms of the clothes of the characters, both in terms of what is happening and a certain composition of characters. the only thing that does not look like the face, technology and limbs of the robot. I have them more progressive, in turn inspired by real running prostheses. and in fact, you can go deeper and deeper into this topic ...
and for example the face that I have on my avatar may look like some elements of the tiara to what was in dragon age 2, although it appeared earlier and its image evolved from 2005 to 10-12th.

and here it is worth smoothly moving on to the topic of inspiration and unconscious reproduction of the cultural code. but I'm getting too lazy to type letters, so I'll limit myself to what some say directly - I get inspired ... and tells ... they were deliberately taken some kind of product, decomposed into tensors and put together again with the opinion of the author and thus turning the images into some independent product. similarly, the author was probably influenced by his cultural environment. in the 19th century, it was okay because then the concept of intellectual property appeared, which is essentially for constructs. and taking into account the described combinatorial problems of spontaneous reproduction of information on the volume of copyright objects produced by mankind per hour - I see this as a mega-large and universal problem, which, moreover, is not clear how to solve. because every second, somewhere, something is constantly being plagiarized and it even disintegrates into a locally unrelated space in the inflationary model of the universe. that is, everything is plagiarized, but it cannot reach law enforcement agencies and be considered in court due to the lack of such a pervasive system of omniscient content rating system. on the other hand, there is a problem - what if someone patented the wheel? so copyright I think is a very complex and multifaceted problem. and it is not clear whether she has some kind of mechanical solution devoid of human factor or not. that is, everything is plagiarized, but it cannot reach law enforcement agencies and be considered in court due to the absence of such a pervasive system of omniscient content rating system. on the other hand, there is a problem - what if someone patented the wheel? so copyright I think is a very complex and multifaceted problem. and it is not clear whether she has some kind of mechanical solution devoid of human factor or not. that is, everything is plagiarized, but it cannot reach law enforcement agencies and be considered in court due to the lack of such a pervasive system of omniscient content rating system. on the other hand, there is a problem - what if someone patented the wheel? so copyright I think is a very complex and multifaceted problem. and it is not clear whether she has some kind of mechanical solution devoid of human factor or not.

and as for games - I am analyzing all kinds of games so that I know they do not accidentally repeat them or avoid similarities, and I have not seen direct copying of levels or their elements in normal games. I remember there was a scandal that some developers brazenly copy levels from all kinds of games, but they noticed it and spanked them on the cheeks. there was also a scandal that someone copied the design of a weapon from kalavdyuti it seems - supposedly it was impossible to create a weapon without copying it from this game or without relying on it in the design, although in my opinion there were completely different fluffs on the screenshots and that's all I was talking about before expounded this.
I think it is a problem that a large company with cool lawyers can slow down a small campaign and say that it was plagiarized your trademark contains words from our trademark and there is some kind of gazebo you have here fuwa fallout in the name we also have our own fallout you need to change the name nothing that this word means something and this type was with the word edge until the mirror edge appeared and the defenses of the use of this word in his game ... and what kind of anal hell is going on in the hell of live games on android and ois where they can be anally banned for the fact that you have pixels for textures are similar to a set of pixels for a minecraft texture of 16x16 pixels - considering how many pixels there can be to describe the shape of an object, when it seems that copyright starts with 60% coincidence and basically all this does not get to court.

next plagiarism - why reinvent the wheel? why health, red and not yellow. for some reason it used to be like endurance and endurance could be like health. why all games run on wasd and crap with your right hand on the left mouse button and take cover behind the sewn on the left. because windows came up with that? plagiarism. windows plagiarism poppy cake. Linux plagiarism of Windows. there are a bunch of mechanics and conventions that wander from game to game, making it easier to enter it, otherwise it would be nonsense like at the beginning of time where there were all sorts of strange controls and game design solutions, not all of them were good and convenient and therefore there is such plagiarism and imitation. however, gameplay mechanics are patented there, a dialogue wheel and a menezis system and ishe in shadov, mordor hid in the bushes like assassins' teaching.

So in general, as a player, it's too early for me to plagiarize in games. I have met a lot of similar but straightforward exact plagiarism so that I don't fuuu somehow. there are games that exploit mechanics that I don't like and they come out in a Poisson stream of peck-peck-peck and then they are not. but on the other hand, if games were released where there are stylistics and mechanics, I would scream enthusiastically - this is a subjective level of assessment of the toy. and if the games were complex and varied with all sorts of different gameplay in them it would be very difficult to enter and understand, I think. and so you, in fact, can always play about one game, only different ones with different locations with fluffs and mobs.

r
requiemmm 03.11.21

Man always follows the path of least resistance. Writers of computer games, to put it mildly, are far from genius. They were brewed in the same cultural environment, they have the same set of associations: I say "robot", can you imagine ... what? Terminator, clockwork shiny shovel toy, that shit from Short Circuit, R2D2, Tachikomu ... did you introduce the yellow unmanned bulldozer? And he is also a robot.
It is very difficult not to slip into a retelling of previously watched films, books and games, if you try to write something, you will immediately understand it. If the retelling was not literal, then it is already good.
Characters are another story. Over the past 30 years, a set of standard types have developed that sell well. A stern warrior who makes dark jokes. A fairy who does not know the world, who just wants to desecrate, hehe. A cynical and cruel woman who, in fact, is there, under the armor, completely plush. A wise magician who instructs the protagonist. A childhood friend who rushes after the hero and tries to please him in every possible way, but nothing shines for her in 90% of the plots. A mysterious character who speaks in riddles, constantly changing sides in order to serve as a "piano in the bushes" at the end of the game. Well, a few more, not so important. The settings change, but every party game has the same characters with different skins.
The screenwriter, like 90% of his target audience, is rarely fond of something else. People who are keen on real deeds value time and will not waste it in surrogates of life. Therefore, even if his characters have a hobby, it is neutral-primitive, like feeding homeless cats or cooking at the level "and then our hero bungled an 8-course dinner. How? I don't know, my ceiling is to boil eggs"

And so we came to the fact that all games copy each other, because the target audience is not going to grow above itself, they eat it anyway, and the next generations of scriptwriters and gay designers are already growing on these games. The conveyor is working with a constant decrease in the quality of the product and the concomitant dullness of the target audience. There are exceptions, but when they stumble upon low sales and difficulties with promotion, they quickly switch to what makes money - gum for idiots.

s
saa0891 03.11.21

If this is well implemented in the game, then this is always only a plus and it does not matter whether this element was in games before or not, the main thing is that it works well.

K
Katanar 03.11.21

Right now, I don’t remember the name of the game, but it was completely copied there, level with cal of duty 4, on the ship. Then another game darknes 2, like there was a level with fire, very similar to the level from max payne. There were also games where this was noticed, of course, many do not notice this, and do not care, they just play. But when there is a talent to see all this as a scanner, it really enrages. I don’t know who can run around the same locations for fun, see the familiar, like a vice city or a stalker, replay everything that has already been seen.

M
MunchkiN 616 03.11.21

at the expense of sorceries, I miss them because basically they did not play and did not watch the passage. so if this is some kind of multiplayer map in some kind of multiplayer game, I don’t know about it. about darkness 2, too, as a bunch, I did not look like it was playing in the demo of the current. plus I don’t remember the geometry of the levels if I don’t play them myself. me mostly textures and models and other designers.
but in a stalker, as it were, everything happens in one place, so 2 stalkers are running around the same locations only there the passages are different open closed all sorts of onomalies come running. and that yes yes yes ahhh.
finally, I think that the pointless labor of Sisyphus is to come up with new mobs and a new design for each game in the series. nada just use the same high-poly models with an automatic squeezing in low-poly and insert into games so that they are under new system requirements. and when in one series of games the orcs were black, then the agenda changed, they became green and with horns it is stupid. minus the atmosphere immediately. There are really cases when the content of the game is very outdated and can no longer be reproduced in that design, because the fashion for the grimy Middle Ages is all shitty. dark fantasy. and before, all the clean walk around in rich historical clothes and the semblance of a 12th century reconstruction of ringed armor or in the German fashion of the 15th century, this is not mono. must go in bags. And there in dragon age there is such a hrenax design on low poly, similar to tessellations aaaa, but in the Inquisition there is already something similar to 2, so the atmosphere is good. and gothic 3 hop different design and bad play. as a result.
and so that different companies and different franchises try ... there is just a generic design that rely on some kind of historical source or coincidences such as the lord of the rings and tes 4.
there is still a certain legacy, the birthmark of which is borne by games of different periods, which is generated by phenomena in popular culture. and after a while these images cease to be readable for the new generation and look dumb and stupid and a new one needs to be started.