3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
G
Ghost bear 03.11.21 08:47 pm

Secrets of the alpha / beta version of GTA (Grand Theft Auto)

Very few people know that there are concepts of the first GTA engine, carefully laid out by one of the DMA programmers - Mike Dailly. Actually, I'll put a couple of screenshots:

This was the first idea of ​​the GTA engine, according to Mike himself, the possibility of destruction of buildings, movement of objects and other goodies was planned. But after the release of Syndicate Wars, which had a very similar engine, they had to abandon it. It's a pity - it looked very nice, especially in motion.

The second version of the engine is what GTA was later made of. There is even one spritic machine inside the city :)

You can download these demos here
. The second one (which looks more like GTA) even has sources in Pascal and Assembler!
I hope you were interested :)
19 Comments
Sort by:
D
DafoniX [ГхэТэАаа 03.11.21

dude, that's cool! Chinatown Wars are resting!

T
TitOffSky 03.11.21

Thanks!
How do I start them? DosBox?

G
Ghost bear 03.11.21

I run normally in WinXP. Screenshots made through DosBox

S
Shift007 03.11.21

Why can we stir up the game?)

D
Diego3000 03.11.21

Interesting interesting!!

A
AlSar 03.11.21

something does not open
writes "the archive is incomplete"

E
Egor_Pskov 03.11.21

The link may have aged.

T
Tumult 03.11.21

Class! Three-dimensional isometry.
but pascal is atjyg, but a nice thought that I have the source code for GTA.

[
[art_dagon] 03.11.21

screenshots are not loaded

I
I raspy61 I 03.11.21

hosting just flew

P
P3truha 03.11.21

The news is old (somewhere around the middle of March), but it doesn't seem to have been discussed here.
Recently rockstar was posted on the Internet The design document of the very first GTA, The document is dated March 22, 1995 and you can find a lot of interesting things in it.
I have not yet thoroughly studied the document, but I have already managed to understand that Rockstar (DMA) was planning a multiplayer game, that the working title of the game was "Race'n'Chase" and that the game was supposed to be released in June 1996.
We are discussing, we find more interesting facts. original documents:
Spoilerpix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru
pix.PlayGround.ru

C
CutToSleep 03.11.21

Also, instead of San Francisco, there should have been Venice.
The main emphasis was going to be on multiplayer.
The content for platforms other than DOS and Windows 95 lists Renderware (???). There is no such thing in the text itself.
The screen was supposed to show the dashboard of the car.

-
- Rick Sk1mmer - 03.11.21

CutToSleep,
06/26/11
"Renderware (???) is indicated in the content among platforms other than DOS and Windows 95. The text itself does not."
Renderware is a game engine, not a platform. It was used in GTA III, VC, SA.

P
P3truha 03.11.21

Yes, but it was listed among the platforms.

M
Marshal Nash 03.11.21

Players will drive cars and possibly other vehicles: boats, helicopters and trucks.
Interestingly, there are no motorcycles on the list.

C
CutToSleep 03.11.21

Renderware is a game engine, not a platform. It was used in GTA III, VC, SA.
I know. He also, in my opinion, was used in PS2-shnyh Mortals (well, and a lot in what else).
But it is written among platforms, and for some reason it is not in the document itself. Typo?

P
P3truha 03.11.21

The first version of the engine was released in 1996, so there could be no talk of the engine.

C
Carbon8909 03.11.21

The SWAT van was cut. However, this transport is available on the official website of the game in the Special Services Cars section.
The helicopter has been removed from the game. However, it can be returned to the game; but helicopter control will be identical to vehicle control (i.e. you cannot fly a helicopter).
In the early stages of development in the 2nd city (San Andreas), it was planned to add trams (as an analogue of the metro in Liberty City and Vice City in 1 and 3 cities, respectively). In the release version of the game in San Andreas, only tram tracks remained.