3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
f
frostvay 10.11.21 12:00 am

HDD selection problem. What do you advise?

In general, like everyone else, I ran into the problem of lack of meta. We need a screw with a volume of 2-3TB. I myself have been using Segate products for several years now. There are two suitable models on sale:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST2000DM001 and
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 for 2 and 3 TB, respectively. But sadness, reviews about them are extremely negative. They say they fly after the warranty period, and not just troubles lie on the system tightly. They say that the WD Red series are more reliable, although not everything is clear either. And the 5400rpm speed is not particularly encouraging. I do not take into account server models, since I will use the disk purely for storing movies and installing games. Maybe if there are any other alternatives?
6 Comments
Sort by:
M
Mardrok 10.11.21

TOSHIBA X300 HDWE140EZSTA RET, 4TB -9500r.

L
Len4ik00N 10.11.21

frostvay wrote:
Maybe if there are any other alternatives?
Take a screw only for storing information - for these purposes, the speed of 5400 will come off quite well and they are usually cheaper, and put games and programs on the screw that you already have.

f
frostvay 10.11.21

Len4ik00N
In principle, for me, reliability comes first, then everything else. I agree that 5400rpm will be enough for the file cleaner for the system there is an installed SSD. Already that day I get on in different forums so I have not decided on the choice. It's just that I chose Segate of a suitable volume and value earlier and bought it and rejoice. My old man Seagate with 250 GB has already plowed nearly 30,000 hours and everything is in order, but here the new models fly in a year or two. Even if, in the event of a breakdown, they are replaced under the guarantee, then an unpleasant residue will remain and the data will have to be backed up somewhere, unnecessary problems and headaches.

L
Len4ik00N 10.11.21

frostvay wrote: I
just chose Segate of a suitable volume and cost, I bought it and rejoice
And now you can do the same, only without looking back at the manufacturer - in any batch you can get a marriage. Just take the one that suits the parameters (volume, speed, etc.) and for which the warranty period is longer - you will save time now and money in the future, and in order to avoid problems with backup, use cloud storage.

s
saa0891 10.11.21

frostvay

Himself recently changed my WD Black because I already started quacking (and all the other drives I have are Segate 4 external ones, and another 1.5TB in the system unit and everything works fine), I chose from these http://www.ulmart.ru/ catalog / hdd_for_pc? sort = 1 & viewType = 1 & rec = true & filters = 737% 3A2828 & applied = true & brands = & jdSuppliers = & warranties = & shops = & labels = & available = false & reserved = false & suborder = false & superPrice = false & showCrossboardGoods = false & showUlmartGoods = false & specOffers = false & availableCounts = & minPrice = 6830 & maxPrice = 38750
In the end, bought Seagate Constellation ES.3 1 and 2TB https://www.ulmart.ru/goods/431788
Good HDDs, 5-year warranty, it is better to buy 2TB for money, the most normal is obtained.

-
-SK.art- 10.11.21

frostvay wrote:
But the sadness of the reviews about them is extremely negative. They say they fly after the warranty period, and not just troubles lie on the system tightly.
these are all horror stories. Several years ago, 2 generations of Seagates had a serious problem with quality - they were dying en masse from the "fly". Since then, there has been a lot of bad reputation about the hard drives of this company .. This problem does not exist for the drives, which are indicated in the first message.
PS: I, by the way, have been using 3 TB ST3000DM001 for 2 or 3 years already. Pah-pah, everything is okay with him.
PS: well, and one more sigate for 250 GB, which I have since 2006 and is still working and has gone through a bunch of platform changes.) By the way, I received this sigate instead of a similar one, which grunted after 2 months of use. The store issued it in exchange for a guarantee.