3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
U
UnknownAssassin 10.11.21 12:14 am

Video card memory consumption by games

The question is, how much video memory is really needed for games? I have 1 giga, in games I put textures to the maximum, but it requires more video memory, but still it goes 20-30 fps manages to grow up to 60, 10 fps probably eats, but why warn that 2 or 3 giga is needed, because there was no departure , just eats FPS like other functions.
6 Comments
Sort by:
h
helio 10.11.21

In case of insufficient local video memory, the driver can use part of the system memory. The presence or absence of problems due to this depends on how important data for rendering gets into the slow RAM. If the game engine and driver use system resources correctly, then the necessary data will be timely loaded via the bus into local memory, and performance will not suffer. Otherwise, accessing the GPU directly to RAM will lead to a sharp drop in fps / freezes of the image. That is, if the game is well optimized, there will be no problems with 1GB)

U
UnknownAssassin 10.11.21

helio
Thanks

v
vikpass 10.11.21

UnknownAssassin
But today it's better to have 2 gigs

A
Alexey Chichigin 10.11.21

vikpass
No 4 is that. 2 Giga is already enough for high oh-so (example is the same Assassin Screed Syndicate)

M
MunchkiN 616 10.11.21

Previously, games crashed when there was a lack of memory, now the actual memory consumption at some point in time may not have grown much, although based on the resolution of textures and any composite textures, the main memory should go to some kind of buffer for streaming and preloading invisible surfaces.
For this reason, the games do not crash as, say, it was 128MB, but you need 256. But I don’t know how well they work either.
I have a laptop with a gig on it, the game may end and crash or almost completely stop with the brakes
in the case of a card with 2 gigs, all games work for me about the same as what they wrote about the bootman if I try to screw in more memory available in the video card.
therefore, the logic suggests that what is written in the system requirements, namely 2 and 3-4GB, will be guaranteed to work stably for adequate settings, and everything else is from the evil one.
if we talk about the maximum games are more than ready to eat a little over 4GB to 6 with an increase in resolution.
If you think for the future, then for ultras and fans of collecting pitch for 5 years, according to my estimates, you need from 8 GB to 16. depending on how long the border is planned to use GPU. the permission reduces the term, but the volume may not be drastically affected.
schA, in any case, you need to focus on 4-8 as the minimum volume for max.

v
vikpass 10.11.21

I meant the minimum size quantity. 4 giga more for max 1080p