3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
S
Sergey971 11.11.21 10:10 pm

The problem with the ASUS STRIX-GTX970 video card

Good day to all! I purchased this card (ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5, GTX 970, 4096MB, GDDR5) and immediately ran into such problems.
While working in "heavy" games, after a while (3-7 minutes) a strong noise is heard (as I understand it, from the fans of the video card, which start to work at full power).
The noise is very loud - even during the day, with a general background, what can we say about the night.
Well, this is still half the trouble, much worse is that in some games, after a different amount of time, the computer simply throws it into a reboot (or rather, it just turns off - the BIOS entry menu appears).
Thermaltake 630W power supply unit, there were no problems with it before (there was a GF650TIGTX video card)
i5 4670 processor (3.40GHz), 8 gigs of memory, two WD hard drives for 500 and 1000 GB.
The temperature in games did not rise above 68 degrees.
I updated the BIOS and set vertical sync in the video driver settings, the noise decreased significantly, but again there was a crash.
There is no opportunity to test with another power supply unit, as well as there is no way to check the performance of a video card from friends (it simply does not fit into their system units).
It is worth taking a video card under warranty, or maybe you can somehow eliminate these problems. It's a pity to take it - I hardly bought it in our city (if it will be replaced very soon, if it will change at all, I ordered it through the online store)
Thank you in advance for your answers!
23 Comments
Sort by:
M
MunchkiN 616 11.11.21

try to put all sorts of stress tests. both on the CPU and on the zhpu. I think it's not worth sinning for viruses. it is logical to assume that it is the bp that is to blame.

-
-SK.art- 11.11.21

Sergey971

I still (and not only me) in the topic on gtx 970-980 answered on overs - it would not hurt to check the card on another machine. Go to a friend / neighbor, check. how the card will behave on another PC. Just look. so that the power supply unit is at least 500 watts.

corny does not fit into their system units

exactly? The card is not very long either. 280 mm like ..

s
safot 11.11.21

Sergey971 First
try to run vidyahu on FurMark (hairy donut) with a log of temperatures and at maximum load to make sure vidyahu.

S
Shadows3D 11.11.21

hand over under warranty before it's too late, but rather take another one altogether

P
Purgesha 11.11.21

you simply do not have enough power supply ...

c
china777 11.11.21

It's strange for you - with a friend we bought 2 identical cards in December (ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5)
None of the similar problems have! Accelerate with a bang! Everything flies! Maybe it was just unlucky and a defective batch was caught?
And at the expense of the whistle of the throttles - I only heard it in the FarCry 4 menu, and then you have to listen, turning off all the sound - it doesn't seem to whistle anywhere else ...

-
-SK.art- 11.11.21

china777
doesn't seem to be whistling anywhere else ...

in the tomb menu, the rider is still whistling.
It whistles wherever the FPS is very high - in these menus it is under 700-800, or even higher.

M
MunchkiN 616 11.11.21

at mina, not a single card whistled
current, that's 4870x2, if the power supply is connected, it hissed slightly like a snake if you put your ear to it.
the bp itself whistled and hard drives whistle very loudly fart and crack
and how can you hear it under the hum of a gaming computer?

k
karp1974 11.11.21

You need to install a power supply unit of at least 950 W on this video card.
These video cards are designed for motherboards assembled on the 7th series chipset and higher.

M
MunchkiN 616 11.11.21

karp1974
nonsense that the first is the second. on the site of the site it is finally written that you need 500W. In fact, it is somewhere under + 150-200 to this for reliability.
most likely the power supply unit simply does not give out the declared load or is not designed to work under load for a long time. unless of course the problem is in him.

k
koolzera 11.11.21

Either the power supply unit does not pull, which is most likely, or the marriage of the card is also no exception! If you are not sure of yourself, then it is better to bring the system engineer to a normal service, everything will be clear there.

-
-SK.art- 11.11.21

karp1974
You need to install a power supply unit of at least 950 W on this video card.
These video cards are designed for motherboards assembled on the 7th series chipset and higher.

it is necessary to create a topic-quotation book of the stupidest statements on the forum. Your quote will be the first))

S
Shadows3D 11.11.21

-Sergey Viktorovich-
with the power supply, he could have made a spelling mistake, but "... on a chipset from the 7th series and above ..." finished it off completely :)

W
Wardrum 11.11.21

karp1974 The
power supply for this video card is enough for 600 W - even with a margin! Real consumption of this video card is within 180W under stress tests.
The consumption of my processor is within 90W (TDP 84W). Another 50 W at 12V for all other peripherals such as a chipset, memory, disks, etc. (there is no more consumption there).
Total at full load on the CPU and GPU at the same time (double stress test) 90 + 180 + 50 = 320 W at 12V. The rest of the lines in modern systems consume 30-40 W (if, of course, there are no more than 10 HDDs, 20 USB devices without their own power supply and all possible slots on the MP are not filled). In reality, this is even somewhat overestimated - a processor loaded to maximum consumption simply cannot effectively control the video card and squeeze out the maximum consumption from it (accordingly, for example, in games, the load is significantly less than the specified one).
As a result, we get about 400 watts. And this is the maximum!
Request - if you do not understand the issue at all, do not mislead people!
This information, on this issue, I received at one specialized thematic forum.

c
china777 11.11.21

-Sergey Viktorovich-
I have FAR CRY 4 in my menu for 1500 fps! And in Assassin's Creed Unity as well.
Although nothing whistles in Assassin's)))

W
Wardrum 11.11.21

Thanks everyone for the answers!
I checked it by installing a temporary power supply unit from the FSP at 700W (from the old system unit) - the crashes stopped occurring, which means that the problem was precisely in the poor-quality power supply unit Most likely, it was not a lack of power, but as an old power supply (poor voltage stabilization, poor dynamics of transients ).
But leaving this device in the system is scary, it has already worked for four years, and even when turned on for the first 5-10 minutes, it emits all sorts of suspicious sounds (such as a whistle, squeak, etc.).
Therefore, I ordered a Corsair PSU - model CS650M. In any case, knowledgeable people, in this matter, advised him.

W
Wardrum 11.11.21

By the way, I forgot to report that at the time of reboot the BIOS window popped up with the message: power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit.
Maybe someone will encounter something like that, at least they will know what to dance from.

s
safot 11.11.21

ALASTIS971
If you just wrote this, then you wouldn't have to create a topic!

W
Wardrum 11.11.21

safot
Do not tell me, the reason could well be not only in the problematic power supply.
Some solved the problem by simply disabling ASUS Anti-Surge (this utility simply did not work correctly), others were helped by updating the BIOS or resetting it to zero - a lot of solutions for this problem turn out to be difficult to accurately diagnose. If I didn't have an old bp at hand, I still would not know what the problem is.

W
Wardrum 11.11.21

-Sergey Viktorovich-
I just set vertical sync in the settings of the video card driver - as a result, there is no noise from the chokes.