3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
I
I am Batman 12.11.21 12:50 am

How old is Shani? (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

The question is actually about the Hearts of Stone. I'll tell you right away that I haven't read any of the books if the answer lies in them. In general, as you know at the beginning of the addition in the sewers, we meet our old friend Geralt's friend, Shani. In their conversation, I clearly heard that Geralt was talking about their last meeting in Vizim (that is, the actions of the first part). And as we know there he is still not as old as in the Wild Hunt, but this is understandable, because the Witchers do not age so quickly, but I don’t understand why Shani has not aged since the first part. It turns out that this is not the meeting that I think?
40 Comments
Sort by:
A
Alexander Shimanski 12.11.21

Well, according to the books of Sapkovsky, Geralt is 60-70 years old, if not more. Well, Shani is somewhere between 22-25.

B
Balerun 12.11.21

There is a little over a year difference between the events of the first part and the wild hunt.

N
NPhysicist 12.11.21

In "Blood of Elves" Shani is a third year student of honey. faculty and she is 17 years old, according to Philippa's calculations.

Spoiler - For you - just Philip, - smiled the sorceress. - Now it's not up to the rules of good manners. And no one needs to go out, no one bothers me. In extreme cases, it is surprising. Well, life is a continuous chain of surprises ... as one of my friends used to say ... Our mutual friend, Geralt. Are you studying medicine, Shani? Which course?

“Third,” the girl muttered.

- Ah. - Philip Eilhart looked not at her, but at the witcher. - Seventeen years old - what a wonderful age! Yennefer would give a lot to be the same again. What do you think, Geralt? However, on occasion, I myself will ask her.

The witcher smiled very unpleasantly.

In games, they knocked down the chronology, but we can assume that 6-7 years have passed. Total, somewhere around 23-24.

N
Norman bates 12.11.21

NPhysicist The
chronology of books in games is not knocked down, except for the first part. The dates are more or less accurate, except that the pogrom in Rivia took place in June, and not in September.
If you follow the chronology of the Witchland, then Geralt and Shani first met in 1267. She was at that time 17 years old. Let's throw in 5 years before the events of the Wild Hunt. It turns out that Shani is 22 years old. And between the first and third parts, 2 years passed, that is, in the first part of Shani it was 20 years.

s
soulfox 12.11.21

The chronological period of time in the game series is very short, from 1270 to 1272. In this case, only the warm season is captured - we have not seen winter. Therefore, it is incorrect to say that the witcher in 3 parts has become an old man compared to the first. As for the books, the chronology is different here. For example, the war with Nilfgaard according to the book ended in 1268, and the hunt for sorceresses was announced only in 1272. By the way, in the same year, according to the book, the main characters of the saga, Geralt and Yennefer, died (here they can argue, but according to the canon, it is still believed that they died). If so interesting, you can look here:
http://www.sapkowski.su/modules.php?artid=112&name=Articles&pa=showarticle
http://www.gamer.ru/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/hronologicheskaya -cheharda-nestykovki-v-datirovkah-sobytiy-v-serii-igr-vedmak
Or read books. Although I will immediately warn you - the saga is quite difficult to read. The first 2 books are essentially a collection of stories, read very easily. And then there are novels (as I understand it, initially the author did not think to write a saga). And the author writes them in such a text that it is not read very well, obviously not for everyone. A bit boring or something.

I
I am Batman 12.11.21

Thank you all for your answer.

A
Alex the one 12.11.21

soulfox
It's a bit tedious and unreadable about Martin's Wild Cards, while Sapkowski's plot hangs only in the Tower and the first half of the Lady. The first five books are going with a bang.

Z
ZlobnyDed 12.11.21

Norman Bates Confused
Nothing? The fucking bookkeeper. I have been reading the book for a long time, so I will not go into numbers, I will only touch on events. Let's say Shani was 17 at the first meeting. How old was Ciri at that moment? 12 like. Correct if I'm wrong. How old was Ciri at the time of Geralt's death? 15-16, if I'm not mistaken. Let's go to the game. Since the death of Geralt, no one has seen him for 5 years. We add. About one and a half years passed from the events of the first part to the third. How much is it? In short, about ten years have passed since their first meeting and it looks quite appropriate in addition

N
Norman bates 12.11.21

ZlobnyDed
If anyone confused it, it is the developers. At the beginning of the first part, it is plainly stated that the year is 1270. In the second part, and in the third, in direct (again) text it is said that the pogrom in Rivia, as a result of which the witcher Geralt and the sorceress Yennefer died, happened in 1268, in the second part it is said about September 25, 1268, that delirium , for the pogrom took place shortly after Belletein, which is celebrated in May. That is, Geralt has not been seen not for 5 years, but for 2 years. And Ciri was born in 1251, which is indicated in the glossary of the third part, that is, at the time of the pogrom she was 17. And at the time Geralt and Shani met, Ciri was 16. And between the first third part 2 years passed: the first begins in the spring of 1270, and the third in May 1272.

J
JOKERIVAN 12.11.21

soulfox I
fundamentally disagree, everything is read very easily, almost in one breath

Z
ZlobnyDed 12.11.21

Norman Bates
What does the date from the book have to do with it? They ended with her. I'm talking about events, in fact, that happened, whatever one may say. It does not matter in what year, it is important that a certain number of years have passed. Doesn't it seem strange to you to admit the inconsistency of dates in the book and the game, but still refer to these very dates? And Ciri at that time could not be 16 years old, because. 16 she was at the time of the end of the book, and before that, quite a lot of events had happened

N
Norman bates 12.11.21

ZlobnyDed
Because the game is a sequel to the books, and because the game uses the same universe with its chronology? Or do you propose to score on the chronology, which does not contradict either the second or the third parts (unless the age of Radovid and Voorhis raises some doubts) and substitute random dates? Even if you forget about the book. Ciri's year of birth is listed in The Wild Hunt. The year in which the pogrom took place in Rivia is listed in The Assassin of Kings. The inconsistency is only in the first part, from the second part CDPR was corrected. Yes, many events happened, but these events fit into 1 year: July 1267 - riot on Tanned, June 1268 - pogrom in Rivia.
soulfox, just above, provided 2 links: the saga chronology and the chronological leapfrog in the first and second parts of the game. I advise you to familiarize yourself with them.

Z
ZlobnyDed 12.11.21

Norman Bates
I propose to just score on the chronology, because. it does not affect the gameplay. I paid attention to the age of Radovid and Voorhis. So, what is next? The game is a continuation of the book very conditionally, since the author of the book did not take part in its development and did not write the script. And if you listen to Sapkowski himself, then the game cannot be considered a continuation at all, the story of Geralt ended with the last book. I understand that you are unpleasant to see these inconsistencies, but this is not a reason to connect the events of the game with the chronology of the book. Moreover, it is pointless.

By the way, Shani reappears in the game, and not in the book. Why on earth can her age be tied to book chronology? Geralt doesn't seem to disappear for five years? Or do you need to fix the dialogues in the first part?
-Geralt, you were pierced with a pitchfork and no one saw you for five years.
-You are wrong, not five, but three years

. I do not consider this a reason for philosophy.

I
I am Batman 12.11.21

ZlobnyDed
Agree. Apparently I just forgot how Shani is presented in the first part. I thought that she was already 25 years old then, and the events of the Wild Hunt unfolded decades later. Otherwise, CDPR really aged Geralt so much, and even this beard.

Z
ZlobnyDed 12.11.21

Manhunt1908
But without a beard and with shaved temples, he is still quite a cucumber)

S
SpartanSoap 12.11.21

ZlobnyDed
By the way, Shani reappears in the game, and not in the book. Why on earth can her age be tied to book chronology?
And in the Blood of the Elves there was another red-haired medic named Shani?

X
X_ray_83 12.11.21

soulfox
Geralt did not die so ahead of the book to finish reading . Shani says they say witchers live 150 years, a reference to the last book and the answer why Geralt is alive after 100 years.

N
Norman bates 12.11.21

ZlobnyDed
It is impossible to score on the chronology, the game also repels from it. Even the fact that Pan Sapkowski did not take part in the creation of games does not prevent these very games from being a logical continuation and completion of the history of the White Wolf. Of course, games can be considered ordinary fan fiction on the topic, but even so they are related to chronology, the actions unfold in the same universe.
Probably such that the age of the other characters is also tied to the book chronology. Or do you propose to rewrite all biographies? And yes, Geralt did not disappear for five years, as mentioned in the second part of the game.

S
SpartanSoap 12.11.21

Even the fact that Pan Sapkowski did not take part in the creation of games.

When developing the first two, he did. Of course, he did not write the script, but he consulted the developers in every possible way. And the only time when the chronology got lost was the year in the first part of the 1270th year was called "5 years after the war." Well, the ages of Radovid and Morvran.

Z
ZlobnyDed 12.11.21

SpartanSoap
Which side is this?
Norman Bates is talking about her meeting with Geralt.
"And yes, Geralt did not disappear for five years, as mentioned in the second part of the game."

What exactly does it say about this?