3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
B
Black.Card 12.11.21 07:19 pm

Let's create a new supercomputer step by step together.

Hello dear friends!

Recently raised the topic of buying a PS4 / Xbox One for games. But my choice settled on assembling a new super-powerful computer.

I already have one computer, which is currently strictly used for work. You will find approximate characteristics in my profile.

Now we are going to build a computer many times more powerful. It goes by itself, step by step, since I do not have such a large amount. The estimated assembly time is a year and a half.

I want to note right away that the topic was created not for showing off, but for help and advice from the same geeks like me.

So, the approximate characteristics of the future computer:

Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME / U3.1
Processor: INTEL CORE â„¢ I7-5930K
RAM: 64-128 GB
Video cards: 2 or 4 x Nvidia Titan X
Of course a bunch of SSDs and hard drives
Conventional cooling system (planned to use only 6 coolers)

NEED TIPS AND HELP, WHAT WOULD YOU ADVISE?

So, the beginning was made in a rather difficult way.
A computer was bought (in fact - g * but) - the cheapest of the optimal ones that were ready-made. I didn’t want to use it, because what would happen to him in a year. And collecting in parts is long and tedious, and it is more difficult to collect than to change everything one by one.
The characteristics of that computer (g-but the case, g-no power supply, in general, all g-but, only the i3-4170 processor made me happy). But I will say one thing, you can still play.

Starter computer price: 14,500 hryvnia / 550 dollars / 42,000 rubles (Average rate at the time of purchase).

After 3 days (Monday 02/01/2016), a phased improvement began. You can read the details in the next post.
54 Comments
Sort by:
K
Kryogen 12.11.21

It's a good start, but the shitty thing doesn't fit in at all

B
Black.Card 12.11.21

Kryogen
So why spend money on what sells and buys the best? :) A telly or a monitor will be installed at the very end :)

d
daniel.volkov. 12.11.21

-Sergey Viktorovich-

For games, right?

B
Black.Card 12.11.21

daniel.volkov.
Read carefully, for games this computer, for work is already there - in the profile config!

d
daniel.volkov. 12.11.21

Black.Card
Then I'm sorry

M
MunchkiN 616 12.11.21

Black.Card
ASUS_RAMPAGE_V_E .. - not better?
more expensive therefore better. but I don’t know exactly what. in this case, asrok extrim 11 is even better because of the 2x south bridges, for example.
Asus has a lot of nonsense in the kit, plus higher memory frequencies. but, as it were, there are no particular alternatives in the catalog under the link.
About NWO - not gather, no masters
for maintenance-free, I did not mean that where it is necessary to buy water block trkbki etc and ready
http://brain.com.ua/Kuler_dlya_processora_Deepcool_CAPTAIN_360-p190899.html
type this
but since the acceleration there is no need and indeed I wouldn't buy that.
about what memory like this and take it. I also reasoned from the fact that large radiators are usually a hindrance to the installation of massive air cooling.
I did not understand about bp x2. I have never heard of 2 bp
with bp, everything is simple. overclockers usually use 2 or even several bp because one goes to the processor, others to video cards,
but they usually do not have a case. shoving 2 bp into a normal case is already a problem.
and the principle is quite simple. the motherboard has a wide 24-pin loop, a splitter is connected to it, into which you can connect both a regular power supply unit with all wires and an additional one where only the start and control voltage wire. thus, the second bp is simply turned on synchronously with the pitch.

B
Black.Card 12.11.21

MunchkiN 616
As for 2 bp, it is very, very interesting :) And it will be easy to insert, 85 cm is the length of the body, the current bp takes about 30 cm only, that is, even the second one will fit there. Here it is necessary to find out from my master, the main thing is that they do not stupid, tk. I see that there is a sea at the bottom of the place (you can look at the photo of the power supply yourself, unless at a percentage of my bundling what power supply would you advise? Is 850 enough or is it better to put 1200-1250W too?

B
Black.Card 12.11.21

Although no, I forgot about the partition, for a railway which ... well, in extreme cases, the 2nd bp can be made external by passing the branching device from the body to the outside, and the second will be inside.

A
Aleksandr Klaichkin _1 12.11.21

I criticize this assembly before, I was also fond of SLI and Cross. There were a maximum of 3 video cards 6970 well what can be said from all the special forums and discussions, incl. foreign, after adding the 3rd video card, an increase of only 20-30% fps and the 4th 5-10% fps, this suggests that modern and past years games are poorly optimized for multi-chip solutions, firstly, and secondly, 4 cards Titan do not implement all its potential, the SLI bus will be the bottleneck. The heat dissipation will be colossal, CBO or risers are needed to separate the cards and take them out. This half the trouble will still be rassynchronous when in milliseconds the frames will go astray in practice, this is treated with vertical sync, but then there will be a limit of frames per second, usually 60 (in many games) and the meaning of all video cards is lost. This phenomenon is described on overclocker.ru. there are also diagrams of drawdowns of FPS and friezes. Also, in dynamic scenes, video cards will not always have time to simultaneously process the scene and the picture will be divided on the monitor for fractions of a second and this will be noticeable. Thirdly, Titan X was developed more for calculations with high accuracy of the game, its secondary task, some samples of 980Ti can compete with it, and the price is 50% - 40% higher than the latter. Therefore, such an expensive assembly makes no sense, a bundle of three 980 Ti can easily compete with your system. I will say more that I assembled such a system when I had 3 monitors, it looks cool, but it does not give practical benefits and advantages in games. More, I think that you don’t have enough money for such an assembly, but the topic has been started for trolling, etc. It has long been proven that it is better to use one powerful video chip than a multi-core one.

B
Black.Card 12.11.21

Aleksandr Klaichkin
Well, for starters, how do you know about my money?) Mb should I screen you or give you access to my bank account with the current balance, so that you can be sure? Or how? I can, no problem.
In any case, I'm not going to prove to anyone that I can, I will buy and take pictures and upload, and I am not going to prove my solvency to an incomprehensible person from the gaming forum. No offense said, but I think we understood each other.

Secondly, what kind of trolling can be? Everything is laid out for public, so that every "enthusiast" knows all the stages and difficulties in assembling the most powerful gaming PC.

Third, the price is the price. the final assembly will cost no more than $ 10K. This is bullshit for a normal computer for a couple of years. I change laptops every year for secondary purposes for $ 1000-1500 and I'm already bored to be honest. The last straw was HP Envy 3D and HP (I don't remember the model) with i7 for $ 1,500

Fourthly, I haven't heard about FPS problems, or rather I have a basis for work, there I don't notice the FPS drawdowns, there are 2 SLI 980ti ... And in games, what will the professionals advise? 1 card does not suit, you can speak for show-off, but it is not. 2 at least, but then it remains to wait for either new top models, or choose from those that are now, but which ones and how much will give a normal result?

M
MunchkiN 616 12.11.21

It has long been proven that it is better to use one powerful video chip than a multi-core one.
it was proved that it is better to use 2 powerful chips at a moderate resolution and change cards after the generation of pitch-pitch,
and even 2 GPUs may not be enough over time.
I admit that I have never collected more than 2 gpu crossfire and if +1 card in isolation for physics, but I can get 2 gpu to sit on all fours. from here, most likely, it should be scaled well by 3-4 gpu with an appropriate system. in any case, if 10-30% of the sum of all gpu remains unused, it’s not a big deal.

B
Black.Card 12.11.21

MunchkiN 616
that is, as I understand it, you want to say that it is better to just take NOT the top vids, but let's say gtx970 and a generation below (to a moderate extent), and change every year or two than 2 top ones?
The question is, how will such vidyahs behave, say in 4K with ultras in top games? Let's omit the question on the RAM, everything is clear on it, 32-64GB ceiling, the question is already only in the bundle of cards and the type of those.
I would also like to hear a comment about AMD, better, worse, what are the problems, and what would people take Top AMD or Nvidia?
Well, to everything there is a question on the hang of the day for buying a mother + prots, and if such a booze went to amd, then I would also like to raise the question about the prots from amd and hear the opinion of both quality and performance.
Thanks in advance.

B
Black.Card 12.11.21

And I also want to add a question about cards, even if we take top-end cards or not taking into account resale, what type of video cards is more capable of partially paying off the cost of the new generation higher?

M
MunchkiN 616 12.11.21

Black.Card
If the basis of the computer for a long time, then about the AMD processors you can forget
about the 2 970 it can tell -Sergey Viktorovich-. I am aware that 2,970 only pull 1080p with a small margin,
and so I would tend to 2m 980 because of the larger memory for high resolutions. these cards should pull and 4k, I roughly calculate with a margin and for full anti-aliasing, and in 2k and 4k vr and so on, there is no need for it. so in reality, I have a bad idea of ​​performance there, and more than 60 fps for me, as it were, does not exist. in order to further add FPS, it is necessary to geometrically increase the GPU power.
this issue has already been discussed at the top and such a bundle should be enough to sit with full comfort at least 1 generation of cards and then make a decision that it is quite appropriate for this situation.
I can’t say anything about the AMD cards, because I simply didn’t beat their tests in MGPU. in theory, 2-3 nano is 2 980 2 furries x it is about 2 980 but they have 4GB of memory. 2,390x is roughly the same as 980 plus another half of that card. also in cross amd they are more processor-dependent.