3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
E
Erxen 14.02.22 09:21 pm

Temperature of xeon 1270 v3 processor

I took the processor, started checking and noticed that the core temperature reached 85 degrees (only one core, a couple of times it was like 87 wrote, but it was right for one second, after, it immediately dropped to 78-83) at 100% load, and on the lid, about 48, and the temperature spread itself is quite small between the cores, this is not the norm, right?

In idle time, it didn’t go anywhere else.

Is this normal or should this not happen? I just don’t remember the norm anymore, in my opinion, even the cores should not be more than 80 degrees. There were no errors, blue screens, throttling during the test
27 Comments
Sort by:
D
Deshang 14.02.22

Erxen The CPU
sensor most likely shows the temperature of the vrm zone on the board.
And there should not be such temperatures in the cores.
1. Update the BIOS, it is possible that infa from the sensors is incorrectly perceived.
2. Is the cooler properly pressed? What model? Thermosta is not some kind of non-name?
3. If you took it used, then it is quite possible that over the years of use, the thermal paste between the chip and the cover has dried up corny (yes, there is no solder there). In this case, only scalping.

E
Erxen 14.02.22

Deshang
1. Bios updated to the latest, updated a week ago
2. The cooler is pressed tightly, the cooler is a master, I don’t remember the model anymore

3. I was afraid of this
A thermal paste, I took it for a long time, smeared it on a laptop, there were no problems

E
Erxen 14.02.22

Deshang
I can’t take a photo now, I’m going to work all day, but the performance of the processor itself is good, it keeps the operating frequency perfectly both under load and without load

01001000 01101001 14.02.22

Erxen
Erxen wrote:
2. The cooler is pressed tightly, the cooler is a master, I don't remember the model anymore
. That's how it is. THE COOLER IS INCORRECTLY INSTALLED!!!! The airflow should be directed from the front to the back of the PC (or right to left in the photo). The cooler must be deployed. So that the front case fan is in parallel. Here she is the problem.
Erxen wrote:
3. This
is what I was afraid of. Xeon solder. Don't hesitate to open it. Get the cooler right.

E
Erxen 14.02.22

01001000 01101001
Got it, thanks, I’ll change everything, as in the picture, when I get back from work, only in the evening, at 10 o’clock, I’ll be able to unsubscribe, but by the way, I tried to rearrange it, it didn’t help, especially with the case open, it looked like, but nothing else I'll go over it and write back. Do I reapply the thermal paste after removing the cooler? In fact, he presses down anyway, of course I can smear it with a spatula again

D
Deshang 14.02.22

01001000 01101001
What you showed is just one of the location options. Blowing may well be up. Warm air from the video card will not give +20 degrees.

Also googled his model - 1270v3. It's a hasswell with paste, not solder

E
Erxen 14.02.22

Deshang
I took this processor the other day, before it was 4570 and it had no such problems

E
Erxen 14.02.22

Deshang
Of course, I'll try and change the thermal paste again, and rearrange the BIOS, and rearrange the cooler, I hope that the sensors are wrong, xs it can be. The frequency then goes smoothly, there are no throttling errors

D
Deshang 14.02.22

Erxen
up to 90+ frequency and will not reset

E
Erxen 14.02.22

Deshang
Tipo emergency he still gets 100? It’s just that the update in my BIOS is 2021, I’m thinking, or maybe on the contrary, roll back the original one, with which these processors initially started to go

Erxen
Erxen wrote: I don't need to reapply the thermal paste
after removing the cooler
. If not smeared and erased everything.
Erxen wrote:
In fact, he presses down anyway, of course I can smear it with a spatula again
. The point is the arrangement of the tubes and the crystal. Parallel or crosswise.
Spoiler
Perhaps this is important, and played a role. The cooler will have more airspace if deployed. This also works with video cards. Do not put anything close to the screws.
Erxen
Erxen wrote:
Of course I will try and change the thermal paste again
I can't understand, what do you want to get? 80 does not suit, with such a bag. Quite normal temperature. Answer the question - do you play stress tests? Work machine or play machine?

Deshang
Deshang wrote:
Also googled his model - 1270v3. This is a Hasswell with paste, not solder
Already looked. Server processors and with thermal paste, ingeniously. Well, Haswells are good with a new thermal interface. Episode 3 was even worse.
Deshang wrote:
Warm air from the video card will not give +20 degrees.
Will give.
1) Hot board, and air movement from bottom to top. Video card heat source. It already gives + 5 degrees, only under load while in the case. Google the topic (video card turbine against non-reference. The turbine emits heat behind the case).
2) Not enough air space in front of the cooler. The more, the more efficiently the screw shovels the air. And this is an obstacle and resistance.

E
Erxen 14.02.22

01001000 01101001
I play sometimes, 80 seems big to me, I'll try to rearrange it again, but before that I did it and the result was the same, even worse, it reached 87. I'll try to double-check all the fans, make a thinner layer of thermal paste. It's just strange that all the cores are kept at 66, and one of them breaks out and stably holds 84. At the same time, I constantly passed the test with a completely open case. I bought this processor the other day, before that the 4570 was standing, it didn’t have such a temperature, 70-75 maximum and the cores all warmed up evenly

Erxen
If one is 84, then yes, the above are right, most likely thermal paste. Open it up and put on a new one.
And the rest is trifles, the layer does not matter. All this is checked, the excess will be squeezed out. If only she was.
There is a possibility that the program is lying (check the tempo or HWiNFO in the cortex). Or even the sensor dies.

I'm just somewhere video of such a situation. It seems that it was thermal paste, since it was under the cover, and since the previous one had no problems.

YES! Found: "All friends, the problem is solved. I scalped the processor, the core temperature leveled off. The processor at 4.7 Mhz does not heat up above 80%, now I will scalp them all. I already wanted to change everything and switch to 7700K. But no. Let him live and work now with 1080Ti)"

E
Erxen 14.02.22

01001000 01101001
Thanks for the help, I'll come home and try everything. There, as in general, one core shows 84, the other 76, and two cores of 65 degrees each. If nothing helps now, I’ll also check it in another program, before that Hades looked, now I’ll try the programs you listed. In general, I’m thinking how long he worked in this position and how much he exhausted himself, productivity fell because of this, first I’ll try to negotiate with the seller and make a return, but if it doesn’t work out, I’ll scalp, is it generally hard? Ordinary thermal paste will go inside or you need to take something specially, now I wanted to take a new aercool baraf from work along the way, otherwise mine has been in a tube for 5 years already, but the laptop plows on it. And what then to glue the cover back on, some kind of hot-melt adhesive or special sealant. But for starters, of course, I’ll still try with a cooler, to earn some money with programs, flash the BIOS again, and talk to the seller, he took it to Avito, but he seemed to promise that if something went wrong with him within two weeks, he would return it. Just all this extra hemorrhoids and costs again. On hand, the processor is only a couple of days

E
Erxen 14.02.22

01001000 01101001
Deshang
Now the test has started again, here is the general picture, I noticed that the average indicators are not so bad, it’s just that there is still a spread in the cores and for some reason it temporarily runs over 80, but in a matter of seconds and back to 77-79

Spoiler

Erxen
You have something like 50 / 50. Half at 70, the other at 80-85. The difference is 10-15 degrees.
During scalping, it is customary to change the thermal paste to liquid metal. But you need to be able to do this, I’ll say frankly, I’m not special, like most people on the Internet. Moreover, there are common concerns for everyone (not necessarily, but really) - you can part with the processor, liquid metal has a significantly higher thermal conductivity, but it is aggressive environment, also a conductor of electricity. There is an example of a processor that has worked for a year and left overnight. At one's own risk. I would not even buy such a processor. Thermal paste is simpler, a good thermal interface under the cover will be safer.
Tear off the lid by cutting with a blade, only carefully. Then you can fix it with silicone or sealant. In general, there are a lot of materials. You can not do it at all, collect it in a socket and press it down with a frame. The main ONE is that the crystal transfers heat to the lid, i.e. do not regret. Oh, and so that the conductor (whether it be ZhM or thermal paste) does not "roll" or merge down (viscosity is less).

The rest, guides on the Internet. On ZhM it is necessary to change correctly, preferably together with the cover. (cover on copper). You have to be able to do the same. Look, read.

E
Erxen 14.02.22

I will not touch it, I agreed with the seller that I will send it back by mail and then they will return the money to me, if the processor is intact, the main thing is that they do not touch it before me and return the money as a whole, I will order the same, but in another place. Everything looks fine
Spoiler

01001000 01101001

L
Lain Rain 14.02.22

Erxen
A sense to order the same? I'm almost sure that the matter is in the cooling, most likely your "cooler master" for 4 heat pipes dissipates 100 - 125W. Without boost tdp of your processor is 80W, but during turbo boost this value increases noticeably so much, alas, I don’t know the exact numbers for xeon 1270 v3, but most likely this number is clearly not less than 125, which is why the cooling simply can’t cope with the set task.

E
Erxen 14.02.22

Lain Rain
Tdp of my processor is 84w, this xeon has 80, it comes out even colder and tests without boost

L
Lain Rain 14.02.22

Erxen
Hmm... Precisely, I did not pay attention to the fact that in the test on the screen 3.5, not 3.9 GHz. Then I understand the reason for concern.