3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
R
Raskolnikov69 26.03.22 02:23 pm

Question regarding lore and prosthetics (Cyberpunk 2077)

The game has the ability to install prosthetic arms and legs, but how does this happen? I mean, are we asking the Reaper to cut off our organic arms and legs and replace them? Or do we initially have prostheses that mimic our limbs? Then perhaps there must be some prehistory of their loss.

I didn’t find an answer both in the game and on the Internet (maybe I missed it), do you have any guesses and thoughts?

Adam Jensen did a great job with it, here I would also like some explanations.
6 Comments
Sort by:
R
Radamel Falcao 26.03.22

Raskolnikov69
what for and, most importantly, why?

K
Kommunist7304 11.04.22

In the gaming conventions of DOOM, the GG had no legs at all and this did not bother anyone. Then all of a sudden dentures and their replacement is annoying. Let's then demand reliability in case of injuries - in order to be treated, it was necessary to have at least six months of playing time, and then pay the bill from the hospital.

K
KATOCHIMOKITOKU 11.04.22

The question is generally good, it really makes you look at this mechanic from the other side. In Deus Ex, this whole twist with implants was partly because the implants themselves in the game world are far from being available to everyone and are still partly a luxury. In cyberpunk, even the poorest homeless people have implants, so their appearance in ggs should not raise any special questions. I think it can be compared to wearing glasses or cosmetic surgery from the real world - even if it seems like a bad idea for us to shank an arm and replace it with a chainsaw, for an ordinary resident of Night City it is something like our trip for a new pair of glasses, so in the game it is not particularly highlighted.
Much more I like the question about the installation of these same implants, although I do not have a specific answer to it. In the case of gorilla fists and a stranglehold, it is still possible to somehow do without amputation of the hands (in case of a stranglehold, you will need an ordinary coil in the wrist area, and for fists, I can only think of replacing the bones with their more durable counterpart and attaching some crackers to the knuckles), but here praying mantis clinics, I'm afraid, will really leave you without limbs.

M
MunchkiN 616 11.04.22

if the question is about the plot, then first, without prostheses. maybe he had some minimal implants of the level of a mobile phone. further, according to the plot, he makes himself a keen eye and some kind of sole on his palm in order to better hold the gun.
and so in all sorts of cyberpunks you usually come to the doctor and grish that my arms and legs are tired of me. I want to get dentures for myself.
and somewhere in the game there is a dialogue with such a doctor that he says if you want to put prostheses, then the sensations from the limbs will not be the same, which can be indirectly considered that the gg initially does not have prostheses.
if the question is why they do this, it’s probably a couple of piercings and tattoos for status, or something purely utilitarian in turning the body into a weapon and endowing it with additional options and all sorts of bazooka hands.

R
RED_ALERT1221 17.04.22

Raskolnikov69
Yes, by default, you have a minimum of prostheses, except that corporate implants from a corporation that are turned off upon dismissal. He, like everyone else, has a neural interface installed, as I understand it, they install it almost from an early age (a personal port, a telephone, a compartment for chips, and an NFS chip), then after the prologue he puts himself optics either instead of real eyes, or instead of some unpretentious (since, apparently, optics are generally installed for everyone, even Buddhists, because the eyes of a Zen teacher glow when transferring money) and a ballistic coprocessor that improves communication with weapons by showing cartridges, aiming point, etc. Otherwise, you have your own limbs and already in the process he can change his hands to artificial ones, or in the case of a hand gun, only the left one, the rest of the implants basically complement the body and do not change everything entirely. with rare exceptions. Firstly, judging by the model, you put in the most advanced implants with imitation of skin, heat, etc., because, for example, its blades almost do not differ visually from living hands, but most of the owners of these blades have hands made of metal. secondly, for people in cyberpunk, replacing hands with artificial ones is a basic operation. His legs do not change entirely, only the muscles, the skin, again, according to the model, remains native

A
Anderby 29.10.22

In the Cyberpunk 2020 universe, native limbs are replaced with artificial ones in a very casual way, like going to a hairdresser.