3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
F
FIL. Just FIL 14.05.22 01:05 am

Introduction to the computer

Remember and tell us what were your first impressions of getting to know the computer. What year was it, what kind of PC, where did you see it?
40 Comments
Sort by:
M
Mel Shlemming 14.05.22

FIL. Just FIL
No, the cop wasn't there. But there were Half-Life 1 and some other snowmobile races.

B
Balda716 14.05.22

It was STE uv ancient times, when the Old One herself was still young.

-
-SERGEY- 14.05.22

I don't remember the year. I took the first one when it became impossible to find games on my "Sega Dreamcast". HDD 80GB. The first games - FarCry, Max Payne2 ....... And as a child, I remember a friend had something like a computer, where the games were recorded on an audio cassette.

F
FIL. Just FIL 14.05.22

-SERGEY- Fourth
stump. In my opinion, it still stands on many office computers.

B
Balda716 14.05.22

-SERGEY-
Games and programs on dinosaurs were loaded from the cassette - ZX Spectrum and domestic Mikrosh. The whole computer was placed in the keyboard case, not well, they were also with disk drives - in recumbent cases, and a monitor on top.

50GB 14.05.22

It was a wonderful year, the time was approaching when EBN would say that he was tired and leaving. It was a cold autumn, or not so much. I came to work, and there is such a white pitch. At that time, I was playing a gaming station, and, of course, dandy shogi were before that, there was even a miracle of technology, some kind of singed Spectrum ZX (still lies in the closet) Accordingly, I didn’t know much about how it was on a PC. But dad took out a disc, that's how I remember right now, it was called Midtown Madness Assholes against traffic police (thanks to Fargus for a happy childhood:) Vooot. And, by the way, from the characteristics of the drag, I just remember that it was a Pentium III. Then things happened that were incomprehensible to me at that time, but then, and then I saw the wildest lags. Well, at the same time this inscription, which "now the computer's power can be turned off." Scored it all and went with the Posons to blow up carbide, which was stolen from the workers in a neighboring yard while they went to lunch. Time passed, the carbide ran out, the workers left. Warmer or colder, the power has changed. The country began to rise from its knees, drug addicts to leave the entrances. They did something with the pitch and he began to drag the assholes. Dad got stuck in Hitman. This is the first time, yes. And they bought home in 2004 P4 2.8GHz 478s, 512Mb of memory, Radeon 9600pro 128Mb, the railway was like 120. I then disappeared from reality for a long time. By the way, there were tube times then: we went to visit each other with hard drives, bothered for every megabyte of RAM, I remember you take a 256 die from a neighbor and op, you already have 768 mb and it becomes more fun to zadrotit. Everyone lived happily until Splinter Cell double agent came out, I bought a pirated disk and was upset - he needed 3 shaders, and I had only the second. So I came to PG. Such a story.

V
Vaipen 14.05.22

At a programming lesson at school. As I remember now. Huge tube monique, with a curtain. Comp is ancient, like petrified mammoth guano. Focker 2 (or something like that, I don’t remember exactly what the program was called, I just remember on F and the 2nd version) hung it just like an adult.

B
Balda716 14.05.22

50GB
I also remember they blew up carbide, they also made fires, it’s like a gun like Pushkin’s, they crushed matches instead of gunpowder, they melted bullets from batteries or smashed bearings with a sledgehammer, More scarecrows from pipes from the refrigerator or from knitting needles from a bike, motsak.

F
FIL. Just FIL 14.05.22

Balda716
Don't you know what it's like to almost bring a teacher to a fit with an explosion of carbide in front of her head?

B
Balda716 14.05.22

FIL. Just FIL
No, I don't know, we had good retired teachers of the old school, we respected them.

n
nickSIA 14.05.22

In the summer of 2004 there was still such an online store "Ultra" in the city of St. Petersburg at the address of Vozrozhdeniye st., 20A. Later it grew into Ulmart cybermarkets. Then he was small and did not really understand the components. At that time, he was very fond of reading the magazines "Country of Games", "Iron". And then came the day when we still decided to buy a PC. It was a beast machine:
CPU - Intel Pentium 4 HT 2.8GHz [BOX] (s.478)
memory - Hynix DDR1 400MHz 512mb (2x256mb)
Mother - ASUS P4P800SE
HDD - 120Gb Seagate like...
GPU - Gainward GeForce FX 5700 128mb AGP8x
Case - Inwin with built-in PSU
Monitor - iiyama vision master pro "17 1024x768p 75Hz

B
BioGen 14.05.22

I don't even remember when.

d
djjack 14.05.22

I remember very well, New Year 1986 and this miracle under the tree, called Enterprise 128k with a 3.5 MHz processor - the highest degree of the ZX-Spectrum at that time, but it had not GW Basic, but IS, for which there was neither software nor games, and at the age of 8 I started writing "games" for my sister, so very soon, in the year 89, it was supplemented by Vesta with the TR-DOS system, and then I tried ATARI and caught fire with the Amiga, but my father had other plans and I went all the way from the 286th, however, this did not stop me from soldering my Vesta up to the 94th and adding peripherals there, that is, not only a 5.25 drive, but also a Yamaha music chip AY-3-8910 , and even a two-button mouse, and later caught up with the memory to 512k, but still dreamed of Kovox and writing music in a tracker with more than three instruments. The ancestors then already had 486 DX-100s, but, for obvious reasons, I could play X-Com there only at night, when everyone was sleeping, and writing music was out of the question. The first computer that I bought for my own money was a Pentium-75, which I overclocked to 90 MHz. Already 16 megabytes of RAM (4 SIMM strips), a Quantum 850 MB screw (810 was available, if I remember everything correctly), I don’t remember the video card, I remember that it was 1 MB and then I changed it to S3 Trio 3D 2x, and even later added it there Voodoo and then completely changed computers about once every 2-3 months until about 2009 ..
But the main thing is that I already put the Sound Blaster AWE32 there, which, attention, is still alive to this day, and is lying in the same box where those 4 Simm bars and the hard drive are. Someday it will become a rarity, but now it just evokes wild nostalgia and an understanding of how far we all have gone and how we do not appreciate our PCs...

v
vitovt-d 14.05.22

djjack
My first 386 DX-40 is still lying around in a disassembled state)
Spoiler

F
FIL. Just FIL 14.05.22

vitovt-d
is just full of old school...

R
Ripper Man 14.05.22

djjack
You're not Steve Jobs by any chance, are you?

d
djjack 14.05.22

Ripper Man
no, you misunderstood.

R
Ripper Man 14.05.22

sorry djjack

W
WarlockIII 14.05.22

In the gaming hall, I don’t remember what year, 2004 or 2005 - I played Solitaire and Vice City)

S
Sima4 14.05.22

The first computer is BK0010. Then Agate (Apple prototype), Robotron and ZX80 Spectrum (on cassettes).
Agat - a cool computer at that time, floppy disks 5'25, all sorts of games, a graphic editor is not bad.
Well, then all sorts of 286, 386, etc.