3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
B
Blade Walker 13.10.22 06:28 pm

Enemy Within is Satan's sop. (XCOM: Enemy Unknown)

I got a long-awaited addition to one of my favorite games on Steam. It seemed that I already knew everything about Enemy Within: I read about a dozen previews and even a couple of reviews. The addition was praised by everyone, calling it a rarity in our time. What do I have for 500 rubles (yes, 500, and to be honest 499) an absolutely insane balance of power (I played the original game on the Classic difficulty level twice, and I passed it successfully, without losses, confidently fighting the alien threat). I put up with a random that occasionally gave out nonsense like a point-blank attack aircraft or a sniper with a 95% chance of hitting, I put up with shelters that sometimes brazenly shoot through and aliens hit you (full shelters). In Enemy Within, wild randomness is squared, and even frankly on the side of the aliens. There is no other way I can explain what is happening. Starting from the second mission (training), I noticed one feature - decrepit sectoids constantly crit, but then real hell began. In fact, the whole gameplay of Enemy Within is that you walk, then the enemy, and at the same time, each of his shots is a "One Shot" for the soldier (the exception is the sectoid, they leave a couple of health blocks) I play on the classic difficulty level (for ideological reasons, After all, the original passed without serious difficulties) So. The enemy shoots, makes a "One Shot", the enemy does not care that you are in cover, albeit full, the fate of a soldier remains to fall from the first shot, the enemy sees you everywhere, he is able to kill through the whole map. On the contrary, my fighters smear always and everywhere, for the crit made by the fighter, I am ready to give him a medal. Stormtrooper, smearing point blank - this is the rule, not the exception. In order to kill the enemy, you have to pull up a whole squad to him and shoot at close range and it’s not a fact that they will kill him (since crits are extremely rare). There was no such savagery in the original. Commanders, what tactics do you use, how do you deal with cheat villains? Why the developer did this at all, this is what is called improved intelligence.
33 Comments
Sort by:
E
Elirium 13.10.22

I do not believe a single word as a person who has completely completed the game on 2 difficulty levels.

B
Blade Walker 13.10.22

Elirium
Well, share how you did it, complete the game without losing soldiers and countries on the classics, write your own tactics. The add-on was released on Friday, today is Sunday, how did you manage to complete the game with the add-on twice?

B
Biboras 13.10.22

In fact, you already have to read about shelters and the chances of hitting. I have soldiers, even with a 99% chance, sometimes smear, and full cover does not give 100% protection. One-shots with crits is of course nonsense, the game tries to kill your fighters ignoring all tactics. Look at the Russian group on steam, there are already people who have passed the classic + ironman. With all these uber crits, the developers were too lazy to write detailed descriptions of some research, as well as weapons. And this is in a game that does not forgive even the slightest mistakes.

B
Blade Walker 13.10.22

Biboras
Tired, tired. In the original game, everything was the same, but the randomness could not stand the brain, there was a balance, and here super-accurate aliens and super oblique operatives, I repeat, everything suited me in the original game, because the operatives hit at the same chances much more often, and the aliens were able to smudge. Here, if the operative has 75 percent of the hit, it seems that, as luck would have it, you get into the unfortunate 25% percent and miss. In the original, 75% was almost a guarantee that the fighter would hit. I like to give away fighters and countries, and at the cost of dozens of dead fighters, I don’t want to complete the game.

N
Nikolai Zarechin 13.10.22

Maybe patches will fix a wild random, well, at the very least - with fan mods.

D
D.Artist 13.10.22

In general, I agree with the author, fierce savagery is happening, and even in one mission I
lowered the difficulty to Norm, the enemies were removed by 1 division of life, but all the same crits
and one-shots on mine through half a map, for several heavy. shelters and other things have been preserved,
so even lowering the difficulty does not help much. I remember last night:
It turns out my pumped attack aircraft, I put it behind the box, right around the corner of the chryssalid,
the chance of hitting 94%, I shoot - a miss ... I think that's it, I'm dead, but the bot blunted, moved
to the cage and did not attack, I already from a place I shoot again with a shotgun almost point-blank, the chance
of hitting 86% is a miss ... naturally they ate me ...
It has happened more than once, as a floater stupidly bursts into the middle of my team, on responses
EVERYONE smears, and he single-handedly brings down 3 of my fighters one by one ... Fierce idiocy.

This can still be overcome somehow, but for some incomprehensible reason, right now I have 6 countries
with a wild panic (although nothing really happened there), they want to leave the council, in the original
it was only if I deliberately ignored the country and didn’t bring it down there are UFOs, but here
they are, and panic ... If I lose them, I will have to start all over again.

Playing saveload instead of XCom is pretty annoying. In the original, there was also an idiotic random,
but at least there it was possible to quickly develop to the plasma and bend everyone, but here it’s not fast, and they even
press on missions and in the air, and countries always panic, you don’t know what to do =/

B
Biboras 13.10.22

I think you should not wait for quick patches, these are consoles .. A brake on progress .. They have to pay the developer for each patch there .. And for the PC separately they are unlikely to cut .. Why the hell do they release turn-based tactics on consoles at all? They don't have enough fighting games, do they?

u
ultra_alen 13.10.22

After playing classic XCOM on normal and hard, I will say:
1. Get used to the fact that the aliens are now not oblique.
2. Go around the flanks.
3. Get used to the losses (lost 8 people and norms on the difficult one)
4. Get up in full cover and in combat readiness if you are not sure that you will hit.
5. Don't let the enemy shoot.
I will also say that the complex and insane only need to get used to the difficulties at the beginning, and then it will be much easier. There is more to think about. For more difficulty, turn on the "Terminator" mode or for a smaller one in the "Second Wave" option "Save the Bastard".
And stop ruining the game.

B
Blade Walker 13.10.22

Thanks to everyone who signed up. Partly in vain, I criticized the addition so strongly. I started over several times to find a certain approach. I overcame the crisis time, when there are only soldiers without distinct armor, with the help of the "Target" module, which quite significantly affected the number of hits, and smoke grenades, which gave the soldiers a chance to survive. Then, as soon as he could, he rushed to genetic engineering and cybernetics, got two MEKs, who are now scattering adversaries and mercilessly firing. The game has become fabulously easy, even easier than the original.

D
D.Artist 13.10.22

I recently read blogs, the developers themselves admitted that the
Classic difficulty in EW is equal to Impossible in EU, so you ca
n’t play without losses, as a result, when I lost 6 countries of the council today,
I decided to start on a new one on the norm. The bots are just as fiercely accurate, and mine are
slanting, but at least in the countries there is no such frenzied panic as on the
Classic difficulty.

By the way, many write that MEKs are strong units, I took two to fight in Classic,
I got 5 mutons, about the same chryssalids, 3-4 small and thin, enemies
now like to throw out the whole bunch, as a result, both of my MEKs were dismantled
in the first 2 moves , no matter what I did, but the hacked heavy, together with the
sniper, laid out all the remaining brethren without loss of hp. Noticed that
it is the level of the fighter that decides much more than in the EU, this is both a plus and a minus,
it’s easy to swing, but with a detachment of pumped martinets you don’t have to think too much,
throw it right into the fire, and they themselves will crumble everyone there, this is a clear minus towards the
tactical component of the game.

e
eriori 13.10.22

Yes, it’s trouble with randomness, it’s especially pleasing when only in August you have a cash gain of 1000 (and even then it’s not enough), plus a lot of everything you need to research (research time has increased, a constant shortage). For epicness, I went through the mission in the port in 4 operatives with initial weapons. In general, fur with a fist is immediately needed. In the same place, the gmo soldier saves the skin camouflage, 2 heart. You can regenerate instead of camouflage. Until the middle of the game you will eat a cactus, what to do. The prices for plasma weapons are simply unrealistically prohibitive, even if you have a bunch of engineers (on the classics, though, this bunch will rarely be up to 50 by August).

D.Artist
I have a mek on the classic one-shot often mutons (he has a crit with a gaus gun somewhere around 14), they just need to improve their armor and weapons early. There he also has 2 infernal abilities. 1 - this is increased damage for opened ones, 2 reactive sensors or absorption, plus it plays the role of someone you converted into a Mek.
But the game really needs a patch that will balance the accuracy and cut down the bot's wolf, and make normal funding.
Whoever has a sharp increase in panic, this EXALT sabotages, as soon as you get rid of them, the panic around the world will decrease very much.

e
eriori 13.10.22

In order not to produce a wall of text. Who has grown sharply in panic, try to complete the mission with the EXALT cell and storm the alien base that month, if not in might. This will reduce the overall level of panic.

W
Warlord24 13.10.22

Even from the first passage, it didn’t work for me either, after the classics it seemed difficult, especially when the moment came when I had more or less pumped fighters, the wounded were lying around and I had to go through a mission on a boat with a whale as beginners ... tin I was all killed and couldn’t do anything) I had to start the game again and turn on the brain)) schA norms, the robot suit pumped, plasma weapons and titanium armor, I endure hordes of aliens with one fighter, there are no losses)

s
skard 13.10.22

I have a few questions for the connoisseurs:
1. How do I earn medals, and is there a limit on the total number per game? During the download, an inscription flashed that they would not be in a hurry to give out medals, I didn’t have time to read further - the computer is powerful, the game loads instantly.
2. What class is better to cut into MEKs? I read the description, I decided that the bonus from heavy infantrymen is for me. Yes, and with the full pumping of soldiers and heavy weapons. infantry is no longer particularly relevant, IMHO.
PS: I wanted to experiment, damn it. I turned on random skills (something like that), I thought maybe mixing happens in my class, but no, was anyone stupid like that?

e
eriori 13.10.22

skard
The bands have suppressive fire, a bazooka, and thermal cartridges that mow down flaters and sectopods.
Konrad Marburg
And the month you have is probably December, my finances are a little tight, but long before the thunderbolt, plasma weapons were already investigated (this is still the end of July).
skard
I also liked the sniper, the accuracy seems to increase quite well, the attack aircraft also gives damage absorption.

A
AccKuuSotonA 13.10.22

ultra_alenNo, well, let's gobble it up then, and let the uncles-igrodely fill their wallets, with so many jambs?

B
Biboras 13.10.22

skard
Here are the medals for you http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Medals . In my opinion the best option is a caliper. He can always be successfully placed for a bonus to the entire squad, he is also the second most accurate after the sniper. It is advisable to swing along the branch of the tank. The Sniper Mech transforms into an auto turret with double shot and overwatch without penalty, the mech's jet pack gives good opportunities to take good positions on the high ground. The assault well tanks miles of the target, or you run up to the enemies close to nothing. The most useless option in my opinion is the heavy, it has the worst accuracy, the passive only affects 1 target. In addition, a heavy with whole arms and legs sets much more heat. Cyberdisks, mechtoids he disassembles in a jiffy. Good damage to a sectopod can only be done by a heavy, plus it demolishes covers in a large radius and opens suppressive fire,

s
skard 13.10.22

I have read the Biboras wiki for a long time, but some questions remain - about the defender's medal, it only drops for me for the death of a fighter.
Explain to a not so advanced in terms what a caliper, jet pack and high ground are. Overwatch is a run? What about a support medic?

u
ultra_alen 13.10.22

AccKuuSotonA
I actually told you how to live on a high level of difficulty, but you don't understand why it's hot.

Biboras
Hevik, on the contrary, is better, because. he has resistance to crits and can shoot 2 times from the same position.

s
skard 13.10.22

because he has crit resistance, which
is what I was guided by when I cut my heavyweights into pieces.