3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
d
deathcold 21.10.22 11:21 am

Game randomly crashes (Driver: Parallel Lines)

Another old game and another problem. The game randomly crashes to the desktop, with an error about the termination of the application. Departures are random. Can happen while completing missions, driving around the open world, but most often they occur when exiting the main menu or choosing the option to restart the mission from the pause menu.

The version of the game is complete, but pirated, completely in Russian, including voice acting. I downloaded a repack from qoob, in the description of which it is written that this is a GOG version of the game without DRM protection. I searched for a solution to the problem on the Internet, but no solution helps. Basically, it is advised to set compatibility with Windows XP SP3 and run as administrator in the "compatibility" tab, but, as I said, it did not help. I even saw advice that said that you need to set compatibility with Windows 98, but this did not help me either, because then the game refuses to start at all. In the incentive I also found advice where the author of the article recommends downloading a certain D3D9 dll file and dropping it into the game folder. But honestly, I don't want to download suspicious files that I'm not even sure will help.

All the necessary components for the game, such as DirectX and other things, have long been installed. Also, during the game, from time to time there are small loads, during which the game freezes for a second, but then continues to work. And it feels like the game is loading something on the go. But what exactly is difficult to understand. In short, we need help in solving this problem. Maybe someone has come across and knows how to solve this problem. The game is launched on Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate.
22 Comments
Sort by:
v
vftor 21.10.22

DeathCold
This old game also works crookedly on Win.7 x64, with problems. I also first installed on Win.7 x64, and then transferred the game folder (via .rar) to Win.XP and the game immediately went without problems.
DeathCold wrote: The
game starts on Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
on Windows 7 SP1 x64 - which SP1 is under Win.10? So there will be problems in general.

T
True_rivethead 21.10.22

DeathCold
If you don't want to suffer, build a separate old computer specifically for old games. It did help me. It's just that old games rarely work properly on new axes and hardware. And don't forget to roll Win XP Professional onto this old computer - games work better with it, it's checked.

d
deathcold 21.10.22

vftor
No, it's just Windows 7. I didn't have Win 10 yet.

d
deathcold 21.10.22

True_Rivethead
Damn, that's easier said than done.

T
True_rivethead 21.10.22

DeathCold
I did this just by rummaging around in the trash. So why can't you do it again? With a certain level of luck, you can do it.

d
deathcold 21.10.22

True_Rivethead
You see, it's one thing to put together a smart old PC that will function just fine and won't crash. And the other thing is to climb into the trash, collect there anyhow, anyhow, from the bulldozer, and then beat your brains on why it does not work. In addition, I doubt that you climbed straight through the garbage heaps. This is your figure of speech.

u
ugf16349 21.10.22

It's amazing that some of these games don't work. It costs Windows 10 and works without problems. Try with the DxWnd crutches from sourceforge. Reinstall Windows.

T
True_rivethead 21.10.22

DeathCold
Well, let's break down what you wrote. Firstly: I now have a fully equipped working old computer on zeon in socket 775, almost entirely assembled from parts from garbage dumps (the only thing I bought was a new cooler, thermal paste and black electrical tape). And secondly: yes, I really rummage through the garbage dumps and use the things I found there for more than twenty years. But what to do? That mocking handout from the state, which it calls "disability pension" is barely enough to pay for a communal apartment and bread and water.

d
deathcold 21.10.22

True_Rivethead
Now take a look at my profile and after that tell me that I don't have an old PC now. The only thing that is NOT old is Windows. However, for some it will be already old.

d
deathcold 21.10.22

ugf16349
And what does it have to do with programs for launching games in a window, if the problem is the compatibility of the game itself with the OS? I just googled, and for those who also encountered such a problem, everything was solved by dancing with tambourines. For me, half of this problem is solved by running games in compatibility with Win XP SP3 and disabling zooming at high screen resolutions. But only half, because, anyway, after a while the problem returns.

c
cyberlynx 21.10.22

DeathCold
If you don't have a license - try to download and install another repack, sometimes it works. Moreover, in fact it happens that a repack from another group, but the same version of the game was downloaded and the problem disappeared.
I personally have repeatedly helped with various old toys. And sometimes it helps to install another version of Windows or another assembly, but this is already a much more hemorrhoidal and cardinal solution to the problem. )

T
True_rivethead 21.10.22

DeathCold
Your processor is too weak. Zeon is necessary, it works more stable on it.

c
cyberlynx 21.10.22

True_Rivethead
Hmm, I sympathize with you, friend... It remains to really wish you only successful finds and just good luck. I'm not sarcastic...

c
cyberlynx 21.10.22

True_Rivethead
I agree, the pebble is really weak...

L
Liggalize 21.10.22

DeathCold
don't worry. i have the same problem with the game

d
deathcold 21.10.22

Cyberlynx
I tried to download a lot of assemblies from trusted sites. And everywhere there is no one on the distribution. Here is one repack from qoob of this game was on distribution and that's it. The rest are stupidly dead. And reinstalling Windows is a hemorrhoid, yes. Too radical and. Yes, and the desire to demolish Windows for the sake of a couple of games, well, or one, there is no desire.

d
deathcold 21.10.22

True_Rivethead
You mean weak? 3 GHz and 2 cores, not enough? This should be enough for many games of that time.

d
deathcold 21.10.22

Liggalize
Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Everywhere in the internet they write that this is a problem due to modern Windows. Well, that is, Windows 7. I played this game on XP a long time ago and there were no problems. But then my version was not complete. That is, without commercials and cutscenes.

v
vftor 21.10.22

DeathCold
Looked at your profile in your computer, on which I, if I were you, would divide the HDD (250 GB) and install Win.XP on a new clean partition. Switching between Win.7 and Win.XP is done at boot in BIOS. Of course your computer is weak, but it will work for old games.
Or another option: install another HDD (if there is still a free Sata connection port on the motherboard), and the power supply of this HDD can be switched in the BIOS or made even easier by switching power through the toggle switch between these HDDs. For example, I made a power switch in my house: on Win.7 x64 - 5 independent systems - 1.SSD-HDD-games, 2.SSD-SSD-Test, 3.SSD-SSD-Games+, 4.HDD-racing , 5.SSD internet. On another computer, 3 independent systems - also on power supply between Win.7 (Internet) and Win.XP (games, etc.). And for the main Internet - generally a separate computer.

d
deathcold 21.10.22

vftor
Yes, by today's standards, my PC is generally a dinosaur, but what I have is what I have. There are no more funds. Already tried to put here vidyahu up to 1 GB. Worked for a couple of days and died. I went to the store, they said that the video card is old, so it died. I asked for money back, said that they don’t do a refund, but they offered me my current card, which is described in the profile, in return, for free. Prior to that, I changed the tablet in my computer, before days I installed the power supply and hard drive from a dead laptop, for 1 Terabyte. But the hard one died. I had to reconnect the old one. From outside, I only changed the monitor, the keyboard, and more than one, and the mouse. Before replacing all the parts, more powerful, by those standards, there was a 512 MB video card, which was dead and lying around for spare parts in the nightstand.

And about the "shamanism" you proposed, I'd better refrain. A lot of dancing with a tambourine for the sake of a simple adventure that, perhaps, even I will not need in the future. That is, well, I'll put Win XP here, well, I'll switch between them, and then what? If I play enough, it will all fall into disrepair, and I will have to redo everything back. So, the advice is good, but it would be better to just find a solution for this game and play it as it is. But, if it is not there, then you have to play as it is.