3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
f
fireprincess 26.01.23 01:23 pm

The failure and closure of Google Stadia

Good day. What do you think the failure of the promising Google Stadia cloud gaming service and its subsequent closure demonstrated? What lesson can be learned from all this?
21 Comments
Sort by:
M
MunchkiN 616 26.01.23

hardware-based physical gaming has so far seemed more profitable and attractive cloudy, plus the laws of sociological inertia mean it.
there are no particular lessons to be learned from this.
for my philosophy of gaming with an emphasis on single-player experience and graphics - good and palpatine face.

k
kurskiy 26.01.23

FirePrincess
Demonstrated that not all Google projects are successful. They also invested in Google+, promoted it as best they could, and then closed it, because. no one needed this social network (and it was made in terms of functionality and design was so-so).
What's the lesson? I don't think that large shareholders of corporations are sitting here to draw some lessons from the situation.

D
Denis Kyokushin 26.01.23

FirePrincess
FirePrincess wrote:
What lesson can be learned from all this?
Nothing to reinvent the wheel

f
fireprincess 26.01.23

So, cloud gaming allows you to use old or cheap PCs for games, but because of its shortcomings, it has not yet taken root.

L
Loken 26.01.23

The lesson is that everything a bald man touches turns from Google to g***
Spoiler As far as I know, Google just offered the worst cloud service possible. You had to buy games FROM THEM, which you could not use anywhere else, and also had to pay a subscription from above. And there were also some proprietary pieces of iron Stage. At the same time, competitors offer to simply pay for a subscription and play.
As for the cloud gaming itself - ping and picture quality. I once tested the first Ding Light in the GFN - surprisingly, even with a ping of 60 it was quite playable, but the picture quality is just a pixel mess in dynamics, with 750 megabit Internet.

f
fireprincess 26.01.23

Loken wrote:
I once tested the first Ding Light in the GFN - surprisingly, even with a ping of 60 it was quite playable, but the picture quality is just a pixel mess in dynamics, with 750 megabit Internet.
Therefore, cloud gaming services cannot yet displace game consoles and powerful PCs.

M
MunchkiN 616 26.01.23

Loken
Loken wrote:
As far as I know, Google just offered the worst cloud service possible. You had to buy games FROM THEM, which you could not use anywhere else, and also had to pay a subscription from above.
perhaps in the future, all kinds of incentives and egs will, in addition to their store, also rent cloud hardware, and then perhaps many people will be drawn to this cloud gaming. the stage just got caught building up on an empty field. but maintaining cloud gaming itself is expensive and raises some questions. iet, as it were, relatively cheap consoles and expensive powerful Pecks, and everything cloudy will be somewhere plus or minus like consoles. It is not known what kind of games will be in the future. perhaps there will be some kind of gameplay somewhere for 5-10 minutes I went in, checked activity and left instead of thoughtful looting and clearing outposts for hundreds of hours in my free time with full immersion.
and the subscription model, when you get access to all sorts of games by subscription and do not buy them, is probably the most unpleasant and it would definitely change the mountain industry, but only large companies with a large number of games are capable of this.

k
kurskiy 26.01.23

FirePrincess
So other cloud services live and are not going to be closed. The problem with Stadia was that developers had to port games to it, and players had to re-purchase games (yes, pay $30-60 again to play through their service). Well, and a subscription, where without it, but if the others had it more "democratic" and justified, then Stadia decided that it had no competitors.

f
fireprincess 26.01.23

kurskiy wrote:
So the rest of the cloud services live and are not going to be closed.
It will still be visible. Live then live, but they have their characteristic shortcomings.

k
kurskiy 26.01.23

FirePrincess
Everything in the world has flaws. Profit is - is, development is - is. Stadia had problems with both of them two years ago, as the reports showed and what the experts said.

f
fireprincess 26.01.23

kurskiy wrote:
Stadia had problems with both of them two years ago,
This service might not have closed if the management of the company that owned it made at least some right decision. It was necessary to at least change somehow the business model. But alas, the service is now gone.

I think that the closure of Stadia will negatively affect the idea of ​​​​cloud gaming, especially since we are not talking about some small company, but about the world-famous giant, about Google. Of course, new gaming "clouds" may still open, but not as magnificently and not with the same promises as Stadia.

D
Denis Kyokushin 26.01.23

Loken
Loken wrote:
You had to buy games FROM THEM, which you could not use anywhere else and also had to pay a subscription on top. And there were also some proprietary pieces of iron Stage.
Yeah, it's just an unprofitable piece of shit.

FirePrincess
FirePrincess wrote:
I think the closure of Stadia will negatively affect the idea of ​​cloud gaming, especially since we are not talking about some small company, but about the world famous giant, about Google.
Oh my God, we don't give a shit. Here I have a game on HDD / SSD, it's mine, and I can launch it and play it at any time. And I won't be affected by problems with the Internet during the passage. you will definitely need to buy it, since there is no torrent. And I don’t always like what I download from there

N
Nervios 26.01.23

Yes, this subscription is not profitable for the most part. at least take at least another stage! Let's say a person works, he is only at home on weekends, he is still away on his own business. It will turn out to play half a day to the best of his ability and that's all in a week ... Beneficial for those who have a free personal life, or those who mostly sit at home, here these people will be just right. Well, I played world of warcraft, paid for two months, and in the end it turned out to play for half a month. Who benefited? Me or those? ... I don't want to print a lot. In short, the stage and all the rest are pulling money from people. Think with your own head.

M
MunchkiN 616 26.01.23

FirePrincess wrote:
This service might not have closed if the management of the company that owned it made at least some right decision. It was necessary to at least change somehow the business model. But alas, the service is now gone.
in fact it was an ecosystem like some kind of new console on the market. most likely, for its full launch, large financial investments were required for a long time, which contradicted the very concept of the business model of this project. it was also designed for stationary entertainment in fact. those would have to replace the user's pitch and console. and here you need to consider the benefit per year - most likely it was not. likewise, there were no projects of interest and technologies that could take advantage of cloud gaming, such as next-gen MMOs, social network games and just triple-hey projects that attract attention.

L
Loken 26.01.23

FirePrincess wrote:
especially since we are not talking about some small company, but about a world-famous giant, about Google
Hoho haha.
No one has more killed their own services than Google. There is even a special site, "killed by Google" :D
https://killedbygoogle.com/
Therefore, nothing particularly bad happened. Everyone understood from the beginning that 1 - Google chose a stupid model for distributing its cloud service, 2 - if something goes wrong, Google will simply close this direction, as it has already closed hundreds of others.

N
Nervios 26.01.23

At the expense of cloud services ... Played a lot of multiplayer, felt all the pain on the eyeballs with the Internet! I can also give an example, linking protection via the Internet, the same garbage! In the beginning, let the planet earth make 100% stable high-speed Internet for everyone, and then with foam at the mouth * shout how profitable such services are.

L
Loken 26.01.23

Nervios
Now cloud gaming is not created for nerds or groping gamers. It is created in order to draw more casual players into the gaming industry and keep those who no longer have the desire / opportunity to always have a full-fledged gaming device with them. And so, on phones, tablets, laptops, they will continue to play their casual games and bring some income. In the USA, as far as I know, it is popular. There are a lot of servers, so the delay does not really interfere. But it will not be possible to spread it to the whole world in the near future.

N
Nervios 26.01.23

Loken Rudely
speaking fools are found.

f
fireprincess 26.01.23

I think there is a lesson to be learned from this story. This is something that it is not necessary to promise a lot ahead of time, especially not taking into account the weaknesses of what is offered. Google promised that Stadia would be better than consoles and powerful PCs. But in the end, the history of this cloud gaming service ended badly because of its shortcomings.

f
fireprincess 26.01.23

I will also add that for those gamers who do not have unlimited Internet, cloud gaming is not profitable. Here is one of his weaknesses.