3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
G
Grand Theft Aero 20.09.19 10:19 am

Graphical comparison of GTA IV: Xbox 360 vs. PC (Grand Theft Auto 4)

As many of you know, last year Microsoft added the feature of streaming from your Xbox One to a PC running Win10. And, again, as many know, recently GTA IV was added to the backward compatibility. I decided to visually compare the graphical component of the game.
Opened a similar topic about the comparison of features H360 and PC release. There was a dispute about the atmosphere. So, on the H360 is really a completely different atmosphere, but more on that later.
So the picture looked about the same, was exhibited all medium settings except for textures, for to restart the game I was too lazy. I waited for the same time in both games and with the help of Chita has caused the same weather so that the comparison was correct. H360 produces a picture in 720p, on the PC I put the same resolution. But, this has no effect in this case, 1080p would look worse, because the window smaltovane for 720p and upscaling software picture GTA 4 can not.
Right - Hboks, left PC.

I want to see what the weather is absolutely identical! Checked that the cheat changes the weather strictly in sequence. As we can see, the fog on the PC looks, well, shall we say, very specific.

By the way, the big-eyed have already noticed one drawback of the PC version, and later discuss more about it.

For PC, the developers completely reworked the vegetation. Trees H360 version, though more dense, but in sophistication reminiscent of GTA sa.

Don't look at textures, for H360 they correspond to the average quality of PC, as I said. And look at the environment.
Note the glow of the lamps. On the H360 it smooth, while on the PC in fact emanate from the lamp four oval. And also, the PC is much less than light sources! No, nobody cleaned the posts and the other lights, but most houses don't burn the Windows!
Let's take a closer look. So it was better visible, change the weather to a bright.

Still think I had something rigged? Well, let's turn on the dark weather and consider a closer!

Did Rockstar downgraded the resolution for the PC? Well, obviously not on purpose. Changing weather, you can see the octagon and on H360! If you look closely, of course. Apparently, the PC lighting incorrect scales. Crown lamp needs to be several times more!

On the PC the other trees, the other smoke from the exhaust, missing lighting the Windows of the house on the left. If you look closely, the effect of the lamp house of the PC version has, i.e. it's another glitch! Apparently, a PC game correctly loads the night texture Windows.

What you'd expect on a PC at home did not burn all the Windows. But, please note! Texure latticed Windows of the cabaret Restructuring that Shine red, the PC just does not Shine - it is non-existent! Ie there is no longer a defect, the light source is deliberately removed and the window sealed with a concrete wall, roughly speaking. Why? It is not clear... Also not illuminated plaque with the name of cabaret.

Apparently, in Hove beach all the Windows do not burn in the PC version! It would be interesting to look at the Old junction, as the lack of lights there will hit the atmosphere! But, unfortunately, Juan has no trainers to do that I can't at the moment, it is necessary to pass the game.
Please note, some of the lamps in the PC version Shine, but do not have a glowing night textures. The same bug was in GTA 3 on PC.

Water reflections have been reworked for the PC. The screenshot was taken at medium settings the quality of the water. Personally, I like the water in H360 version, it is more smooth that is. However, it is impossible not to mention the fact that the draw distance of reflections of the lighting on the H360 version is significantly inferior to the PC version.
Pay attention to the posts. Again the same trick, PC a smaller crown, it looks strange.

Note on shadows: on a PC, they're... Strange? Well, some kind of puff or what... I would Like to mention that the PC shadows were changed with patch 1.0.6.0, it would be interesting to compare with the shadows on the clean version of the game, without patches. Also see the depth PC water compared to H360. On PC no blur backdrops, in contrast to H360.

And finally, consider the preceding screenshot carefully: on the PC a completely different rendering system. I know, hard to see, but at this distance, on the H360 trashcan translucent, while on PC it net. The fact that H360 used good old system of GTA San Andreas - the farther from the object, so it is more transparent. On the same PC uses a technology point of rendering, when the further the player is from the object, the less points he sees.

Conclusion:
-On a PC, no image processing as H360. In the end, the picture sharper, but the atmosphere is lost.
-No blur backdrops on a PC version of the game.
-The lack of night textures for lamps and lights
-Some textures(Approx. the Windows in the cabaret, the smoke from the exhaust pipe) on a PC or substituted or non-existent
-Incorrect scaling of the illumination lamps on the PC
-A strange fog in the daytime
-Changed model trees and water on more elaborate

It may not be all of the graphical differences of the game. If anyone has noticed yet, then please write in the subject line.
There are not considered graphics settings, it is clear that the PC and sharper texture can be done, and the shadows parabotany, and the resolution is much higher. No, the shadow does not cease to be a puff from it.
23 Comments
Sort by:
D
Denny717 20.09.19

Grand Theft Aero, thank you for such a reasoned comparison, been looking for something similar. BUT I was always interested in the Night Shadows on the console versions(shadows from the headlights), could you make a screenshot of the X360 version in night with headlights aimed at some sort of filled part of the street to cover pedestrians and lampposts, litter bins, etc., and noticed that in game the hallways and rooms are also missing shadows.
About blurry shadows on PC they disappear when drawing High shadows and above for PC is a function of (field of view like) is activated by pressing P, something like soap can be when it is a picture similar to H360.

G
Grand Theft Aero 20.09.19

Denny717 on the PC a completely different shade, starting with one of the patches, as I recall, in bespechiy the game they are identical to the console, like...
Well, this feature also since any patch can be enabled in settings and is called Clarity. I.e. it's just a soap on the entire screen, nothing more...

A
Argavar 20.09.19

Grand Theft Aero
Water PC is the best for the minimum salary, and on the box as a flat texture.

G

Here, added comparison. When you change settings other than the medium shade does not become more clear, in fact, they just get thicker, or what... or more shaded.
Well, they are now fairly clear, even too clear. They puff. Open the screenshot in full screen to see it. Increase settings reduce slojnosti.
Well, it's very noticeable in Sunny weather, early in the morning, in the afternoon it's almost not noticeable unless you look closely, especially in motion.

A
Avalanche02 20.09.19

Wow, straight pass in the box wanted))
But I remember like 5 years ago, turned on the PS3 after GTA 4 low / medium PC settings - vomit three days later, the city is empty, 15 fps, etc, etc.

And you yourself, what do you say, where is played nicer

G

I think the original is better just for H360, the episodes on the PC, especially gay Tony, H360 just a hell of a palette.
Well, pleasant on Juan's return, for FPS above. On the H360 fps sags when driving fast in the center.
The PS3 is the worst version, there's even 640р resolution instead of 720p on the H360.
If I released a mod like Vice city or GTA sa that would return all the lost chips of the console versions, then no issues on the PC would be the best version.

N
N69 20.09.19

On the box of shadows from the headlights no.
Spoiler

In the PC version like a used grey post filter, which is not on consoles. The water, too (except for reflections) is better on consoles.

A
Argavar 20.09.19

The shadows from the headlights spoil the atmosphere, like the ENBSeries for GTA IV. We have a mod that would return all the lost chips the console versions. And the fools from Rockstar when they did a special PC version, not a port. Much specifically rewritten for the PC rendering a dot on the screen, even the objects change by adding polygons for this they use different. What console can not, but can the soap. And here we need to abandon the PC fice, ENBSeries damned, shadows from headlights, reflections, etc. And to replace this old system of GTA San Andreas.

G

N69
Well, not quite, from the peds and Niko has shadows, but they are weird. The feeling, it's like the shadows are only from the feet.

In photoshop unscrewed brightness and contrast to maximum to see. This is a dynamic shadow, i.e., not like in GTA Vice city.

W
Wild Rider 20.09.19

Grand Theft Aero wrote:
For PC, the developers completely reworked the vegetation. Trees H360 version, though more dense, but in sophistication reminiscent of GTA sa.
This quiet horror I was glad to unsee, when switched to the PC version.
Grand Theft Aero wrote:
on the H360 just a hell of a palette.
And I liked it.
Grand Theft Aero
Ha! And the PC version has dynamic shadows from headlights. Sorry, such feature is not fully working in 5-ke, there's a shadow from normally not discarded.
Grand Theft Aero
The water really is nicer on the box looks. But with the shadows you surprised me, there are definitely on the ultra cost?

R
RikoChiko 20.09.19

Ports on the PC all the polls worse than the console. Judging only five have learned to do them.
And the comparison is a little not true. With the latest patches in four changed the shadows and the vegetation. Had no patch test.

G

Recochica
Well, what about the shadows I said I have changed, and as the vegetation is not known.
Anyway, I now have no time to do it.

P
PavelOs 20.09.19

Grand Theft Aero wrote:
-On a PC, no image processing as H360. In the end, the picture sharper, but the atmosphere is lost.
Forgot to turn off the Definition on the PC.
Grand Theft Aero wrote:
-The lack of night textures for lamps and lights
-Some textures(Approx. the Windows in the cabaret, the smoke from the exhaust pipe) on a PC or substituted or non-existent
They screwed up the Shader gta_emissivestrong.fxc after 6 patch, as a result, these glowing teksturki are visible only under some certain angle. Solved copying this Shader, for example, from patch 5 (1.0.0.4), but then there are some bugs: I noticed the traffic lights and transparent gold Uzi and phone Yusuf in cutscenes. This is all solved by replacing the Shader used in the model in gta_default openFormats via OpenIV (although the items Yusuf will not say where in the texture/model problems). If you need links, I will try to do sometime.

G

PavelOs, definition on PC - just soap, and it very much. On H360, quickly no soap, and the effect where the farther away an object, malinee, only attached it to the camera and therefore sometimes gives birth to Nico too much zamylivaetsya.

P
PavelOs 20.09.19

Grand Theft Aero
Though the effect is the same breed on the PC and compare I had with him.

A
A.Soldier of Light 20.09.19

Tube the effect is, when you play on the TV on the console than on the emulator (for example) in Monica of his pitch he saw. I guess it's not all games, do not know. Who you like more. Generally the lamppost grafona more suitable for a poll that I remember the gameplay of the old large TVs (not flat, just like now), that is exactly oldfagi can see and remember the difference.
I think that the author chose the wrong approach for comparison, to do the separately from the PC version separately from the console in full-screen and no Windows. And with maximum graphics settings (if the PC version is something like ultra, of which there is in the console, it is not necessary to put ultra - fairness of comparison). And no mods too.

Grand Theft Aero wrote:
Right - Hboks, left PC.
I mean? How you got the box right on the screen, explain?

p
pips1992 20.09.19

Didn't anyone notice the difference in the reflections on cars? PC reflection is barely noticeable and they look more like glitter. But on the consoles reflect the more pronounced, especially noticeable at night. I just because of this fact I prefer the console version. This greatly affects the atmosphere.

R
RestlessDreams91 20.09.19

pips1992
Have not you noticed that the last post was made 2 years ago?

G
Guest 29.10.20

I notice

G
Guest 26.07.21

Another key advantage of X360 version is the original unraped soundtrack if you have a 360 and a physical copy of the game - you're gold!