3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
D
DeX 28.04.20 05:17 pm

How to translate the name of the game? (The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind)

30 Comments
Sort by:
D
DeX 28.04.20

Does anyone know how to translate the name of the full game The Elder Scroll's Morrowind

M
Mitzar 28.04.20

elder - the comparative degree of old (old)
scroll - the scroll (most common value)
Morrowind is a proper name, perhaps(!) is derived from the morrow (of the mouth. morning; the time will come immediately after some event)
Delight the findings of the Lord :)

P. S. don't believe your assumptions are the truth in the last instance, it is possible that they are all nonsense. :)

A
Antroid 28.04.20

Something like:
Ancient [senior] scrolls [of Scripture]: Morrowind [the Morning wind[the wind, nesterevsky after some event]]
:))

M
Mitzar 28.04.20

Well, not so specifically to accept :) Although about the old (ancient) scrolls I agree with you :)

A
Antroid 28.04.20

I'm more interested in the translation of the word Vvanderfell :). A little remodel and it turns out miracle fell (wonder fell). The fairy....

M
Mitzar 28.04.20

As far as I know, proper names (as well as name places and others like them) on Russian language is usually not translated. And rightly so, but it turns out that..... I remember with horror translation VC Voidage....

A
Antroid 28.04.20

But in games such as Morra and co., nouns very often somehow decrypted. Or the authors are so pushed to come up with hundreds of names, taking them from the ceiling. Apparently, it's a case of Bethesda. :) I couldn't come up with as many names as they: all cities, caves, ruins... If I didn't do the original words! For example, in the plug, which I do (which is very difficult because of the huge number of bugs), there are 3 Islands, and they are called:
Samdom (Subdome, something like the Underground Dome, although in the original he was Subdom and was derived from the word Kingdom)
Starplot (Stonefloat, Soaring Stone, similar to Daggerfall - falling dagger)
The parse (Parsaw, false-this name had the basics, but then it was of parso Parsaw, from Saw-saw, saw although there is in General nothing to do with).
This is my opinion.

M
Mitzar 28.04.20

That would roughly determine the significance of a name, you will need the original version of Morrowind, which I unfortunately do not possess.

F
Fess 28.04.20

In any book in the game was this MOMA...but I can't remember which one.
In the mysterious Akavir there are translations of some names:
Atmore-forest;
Akavir-earth dragons;
Tamriel is abeauty of dawn;
only the Redguards know what means Yokudan", so that Kutuzov ask...
Based on this we can assume that Balmora is translated as stone forest, ball- stone (think of Bal Isra, which is so named because of the stones), Mora-the woods (Atmore-forest; Herma Mora nordligste deity of the forest, deception and confusion)....
Apparently Sadrith Mora is also the forest or something....
Psiba for attention.

M
Mihas_ 28.04.20

2 Mitzar-I do Not think that Morrowind is meant to have morning the wind-As one letter disappears Morrow+ind(ind, means nothing) or Morro+wind(Morro-do not snatch).Further-it is not necessary to translate everything with a dictionary-some words in a certain order have a completely different meaning(English MUST know).
Translates all of Pismo elders Morrowind

M
Mitzar 28.04.20

Let me say that I don't translate, and just gave the most common meaning of the words and all.

M
Mitzar 28.04.20

and in addition:
I don't think Your translation is correct, and if You like scroll as the writing, I will assume the following variant - the most ancient writings of Morrowind. Well, did not get here by the elders. And the idea with the morning wind was not mine, it is something You have to admit.

P. S. considering that we communicate with You only in the forum, and even then not very often, it is not necessary to draw conclusions about whether I know English or not ( and to what extent). How many interpreters - the same opinions.

Sincerely, Mitzar.

X
XbloodX 28.04.20

2 Antroid

hmmm... and what about the wind, maybe it's like a plague spreading across Morrowind... interesting...

V
Verjil 28.04.20

In short, Morrowind is translated as the MORNING WIND.
MORRO-English MORNING(morning).
WIND English WIND(wind).

M
Mihas_ 28.04.20

2 Mitzar-again wrong!! Ancient writings-would have sounded like Ancient scroll*s,and finally in the writings of elders invested a subtext-are due to certain events that are recorded on paper wise seers-EAS event is preceded by prophecy.And about the script(writing sound more literary than scrolls).
PS-I was Just wondering how you translated-morrow (lips. morning; a time occurring immediately after an event)-first explanation of the cat. exactly like this is found in the dictionary.I certainly apologize if wrong but....

A
Antroid 28.04.20

2Mihas
well I would not call the province Morrowwind, don't You think??? As if never removed from the names of the extra letter. And the Writings of the elders would be The elders' scrolls? so I remain unconvinced, because elder - translates as the oldest (and the elder too, of course, but it's NOT appropriate here).
2XbloodX yeah, and Balmora in fact - Bal Mora yeah.
2fess very interesting, thank you :)

A
Andrew 28.04.20

All this economy orde as the Chronicles of ancient but Morrowind is a proper name and therefore has no translation!!!

A
Andrew 28.04.20

Where does black holes?

a
aman 28.04.20

Vvardenfell - the Lost (wander) is a Mountain (fell). Possible. Well, obviously not a miracle fell. So at least fit in with the story.
Morrowind - after the turn (revolution). Well, this is fantasy.

a
aman 28.04.20

or even Black (Mor) Humming (row) Wind (wind)