3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
g
gaymersh 20.12.20 05:44 am

Swap file !!!

I have 16 hectares of RAM on my computer. Do I need to use a swap file ???
22 Comments
Sort by:
a
alex20301 20.12.20

NOPE

S
SemyStall 20.12.20

No

K
Kirlusha 20.12.20

gaymersh
Does the system not warn about the unhealthy consequences of its shutdown?
Put 512MB.

R
Roograx 20.12.20

Leave system choice. And you don't have to think about him anymore.

g
gaymersh 20.12.20

And for an SSD, the swap file is not harmful ???

W
Wolfram carbide 20.12.20

It is advisable to leave the swap, since some games do not work correctly without it, crash, etc.

R
RicoChico 20.12.20

Games from ID SoftWare, for example, normally cannot work without a swap file, and how much RAM is on the drum. So leave it.

V
VirusT3 20.12.20

RicoChiko
What is not normal? For more than 5 years I have been working with disabled virtual memory. The maximum where there were problems and even then not critical, this is in AE, 3ds max and that's it. In games, only ark creeps out. Doom and similar games are new, including tom rider, no problem.

ps 16 gigs of ram, os 7 after 10.

R
RicoChico 20.12.20

VirusT3 Lags
when scrolling the camera. As if the RAM isn't enough.

V
VirusT3 20.12.20

RicoChiko
This is a problem with the video memory :) Most likely it is stupidly insufficient.

R
RicoChico 20.12.20

VirusT3
The problem disappeared after enabling the paging file. And the lack of memory manifests itself somewhat differently.

V
VirusT3 20.12.20

RicoChiko
Generally yes, but I had a good FPS in the new games at 580 gtx in the same rider, but there were freezes when the camera was turned (Freezes could have been avoided with a lower video memory load, texture reduction). Replaced with 1080, everything became perfectly smooth. I have not changed anything except the video card.
The lack of virtual memory is manifested by a simple warning from Windows that there is not enough memory and applications can simply close without saving

B
BoriskaE 20.12.20

gaymersh
Harmful. But it can always be transferred to a regular HDD (I was offered to do this with the standard SSD software), but this will slow down the system a little. But if you plan to replace the SSD in 2-3 years, then you can not bother and leave the swap file on the SSD.

K
Kahran ramsus 20.12.20

gaymersh
It is necessary and nothing will be ssd.
I really like how people are worn out by the swap file and denuva that they say they kill ssd, but do not think about the browser cache, for example.

M
Mewel 20.12.20

gaymersh
Some games and programs require swap files without fail. Even if the memory is 32 GB, the swap file is needed.

V
VITYA_KOLYADENKO 20.12.20

Older games can have different problems. For example, there is a 2 TB screw, of which 100 GB is for other partitions. With a certain level of occupancy of the section where the game is installed (about 1 TB left), the game considers that there is not enough space. Game - Heroes 3.

l
lookaway 20.12.20

what's the problem leaving it on then?
it is activated in any case only when necessary.

S
Sidorovich12 20.12.20

gaymersh
You shouldn't give up the swap file at all, as there are programs and games that simply won't start without a swap file. In your case, you need to set the minimum paging file size to 16 megabytes, the maximum according to the needs of the programs, on average 4 gigabytes. In this case, the system will use the paging file only if the RAM is full.
lookaway
If you leave it on by default with autoselect system, then Windows will use the paging file whenever possible. You need to set it to the available minimum so that the system will only use it if the RAM is full.

M
Mitsu Rju 20.12.20

By default, the paging file is enabled in the system. I wonder why the idiots in the companies do it! ..
Of course you need it without options. The question is how much?
For those who do not know, it is enough to turn on "By system choice" and the system itself will distribute how much and for what purpose.
It becomes necessary to increase manually when some application or game requires more memory than it is!
Calculate. If you need a double value for each gigabyte of RAM,
For example 1Gb. RAM - 2048 Swap file. Well, count how much you have and plus.
First, set the maximum, the system will tell you the minimum.

1Archangel1 20.12.20

Set it to automatic, in rare cases the paging file is necessary for the OS itself, as well as 32GB of RAM itself, the paging file is automatically installed, the maximum that I saw is 100MB occupied)))