3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
C
ClevoGame 20.12.20 09:29 pm

Buying a new HDD, advice needed

In general, now in the Toshiba system unit [DT01ACA100] and it just recently began to slow down the entire system, when it boots to 100% it starts to hang tightly and comes to life after 30 seconds. I checked the blocks for bad, yes, they are there and the program cannot restore them. Yes, I think it makes no sense. The railway was purchased in October 2014.
I think it will be easier to buy a new one, and I would like to know which company is better to take a railway with a price up to 4000 rubles?
Let's say I buy a new hard disk drive, it will be the main one with WIN, will it be possible to use this broken hard disk drive to store files?
And one more question, is the life of a railway on average 1.5-2 years now?
25 Comments
Sort by:
P
Protocol10 20.12.20

ClevoGame
1 Normal version of ssd 128-250 for Windows, software, and at least a couple of toys. To store wd red files for a couple of terabytes, although one terabyte may be enough for many.
If you still can't take ssd, then take WD blue (somewhere around 3500r for 1tb and about 5000r for 2tb)

2 Yes it will work until it dies at all. Only something important is better not to store of course.

3 How lucky about life. Maybe two years, maybe 7-8 years quietly work. Well, cooling in a case with good airflow to the disk basket can extend the service life. Plus, as I wrote above, finding Windows on ssd, and not hdd, should in theory reduce the load on hdd, which can also increase the service life.

R
RAZIEL_ 20.12.20

Do you
use ClevoGame ?

C
ClevoGame 20.12.20

RAZIEL_
no

R
RAZIEL_ 20.12.20

ClevoGame
In vain, railways do not like abnormal shutdowns in case of a sudden blackout.

A
Acordy 20.12.20

About life. I bought my screw back in 2008, before the crisis, it works to this day without any complaints. By the way, I have it without cooling and other things in this spirit. I just got lucky. On the subject: I advise you to take WD Red or TOSHIBA. You can also use Seagate, but personally they often let me down.

l
lokkie 20.12.20

RAZIEL_ wrote:
Railways do not like abnormal shutdowns during de-energization.
Yeah. Then they say that siageyt is gross. ))
Although my seagate survived a dozen battles of Kulikovo, his paw creaked, although it still works. I use it as an external drive. )

Protocol10 wrote:
Normal version of ssd 128-250
I will say this, this is not quite a normal version.
The normal variant is the usual HDD + ACH-I.

C
ClevoGame 20.12.20

lokkie
ACH-I
you can read more what it is, I'm just from the village)

l
lokkie 20.12.20

ClevoGame
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

Included in BIOS, called ACH-I mod. Or just ACH-I. The only thing that you need to enable it before installing Windows, otherwise the blue screen and you will be tortured to install Windows with it. That is, you turn it on in the BIOS, save, reboot, and if Windows is installed, then immediately poke the Axis installation from the disk. Well, on a clean hard drive, there will be no such problems. )

R
RAZIEL_ 20.12.20

lokkie
of all my rather big screw economy died Seagate is also creaked and two days later he died, did not help him and bespereboynik, then there was another attempt to purchase Seagate, after a year of use of the screw has prismerti ...
Vedeshki plow and Samsung for more than ten years without problems.

l
lokkie 20.12.20

RAZIEL_
Well, they are also different. Super duper Barakuda is gross.
I have a simple one.

l
licharok 20.12.20

ClevoGame wrote: The
railway was purchased in October 2014.
Some kind of sickly broom ... I have a WD Black WD1001FALS for 1TB, it was bought as soon as it appeared (in 2008, probably). It still works fine, only makes a lot of noise.

M
MunchkiN 616 20.12.20

there will be no advice because how many bakers and so many opinions and the cheap segment of discs is always a lottery to some extent.
For example, I would not take a Western digital because I have it and it was caught in the corruption of files. I also learned that just that 3TB model was the most breakable. however, I did not find any faults in it, and so far I also found it in its further work. another disk, as far as I remember, of the same model, is driven upside down under the bottom of the case and seems to work, but it seems to be disabled. and there are a lot of similar peck-peck stories, but I got that disc and I got this and so on.

M
MU-admin 20.12.20

Are you sure that the disc is defective, and not the hands are crooked?

T
Tigers_Trust 20.12.20

ClevoGame wrote:
I think it will be easier to buy a new one, and I would like to know which company is better to take a railway with a price of up to 4000 rubles?
Let's say I buy a new hard disk drive, it will be the main one with WIN, will it be possible to use this broken hard disk drive to store files?
And one more question, is the life of a railway on average 1.5-2 years now?
Buy a new one for sure.
With the company, everything is more difficult if personally from my experience, then WD quite suitable disks out of 5 purchased, only 1 died unprecedentedly, the rest have been unscrewed for at least 4 years and continue to work quietly.
All of the different series are Black, Green, Blue.
About a broken xs disk, but if it freezes under load, then there is little that can be done with it, as an option to correctly divide it (so that troubles do not fall into the working memory areas)
In general, the service life is a matter of chance, plus look with the longest possible guarantee.

C
ClevoGame 20.12.20

kym1000
I just did just that, I sat all the data down in Victoria, and I highlighted all the ills of the sector, separated it from the railway into an empty section, got 100GB, worked 2 weeks perfectly, and yesterday it started

C
ClevoGame 20.12.20

MU-admin
and where did you see that I said that he was defective?
And where does the crooked hands? I don’t inflict physical damage on him, for these almost 2 years of using windows I reinstalled 5 times, I did defrag once every 1-2 months.
And on the railway there was always free about 100GB on C and 200-300GB on D

M
MU-admin 20.12.20

ClevoGame

If two years after the purchase you are ready to buy a new one just because the disc starts to slow down at times, then it is either defective or your hands are crooked. In the first case, the check would show problems, in the second case, you need to use your brains to understand what is loading the disk. But of course it's easier to buy a new disk, but it's better to take a new computer right away.

C
ClevoGame 20.12.20

MU-admin
Read more carefully, I wrote that during the check a lot of bad blocks were found and they cannot be restored.
And now read the reviews of various railways, many die before they reach a year.
It's just that nowadays the choice of a hard disk is a lottery. the quality of the discs is at the lowest level.

J
JKELL80 20.12.20

ST1000DM003

C
ClevoGame 20.12.20

is it worth taking Western Digital Red 1Tb (WD10EFRX)?