3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
AMKid 28.07.21 10:44 pm

Retro consoles, their clones and emulators

h47NWfl.jpg

I did not find a relevant topic on the forum, so we will create a new one. I propose to discuss here any retro consoles, their numerous clones and emulators, as well as a variety of accessories (both licensed and not so).

Mentioning games from the console library (including all kinds of hacks) is also appropriate, but please do not get too carried away and do not drag out the discussion for several pages - in this case, it is better to create a separate topic for this game (if not already created) and move the dialogue there.

What is welcome: all kinds of (preferably high-quality, interesting, or at least just funny) photo and video reviews of consoles, games and accessories, personal impressions / memories, articles, creativity, etc.

What is discouraged: Any attempt to provoke Hallivar

Modified on May 24, 2016 by AMKid
71 Comments
Sort by:
A
AMKid 28.07.21

The last couple of days I have been looking at all sorts of consoles on android for emulation, I found a couple of interesting consoles. Later I will throw off a couple more reviews and +/- which I noted for myself, if anyone is interested.

I'll start with the Nvidia Shield Portable - the most famous, most powerful and most expensive of the consoles I've reviewed.

i? path = b0707165428_img_id780373864261481

What do you like:

Judging by the reviews, emulators, up to the Sega Dreamcast, are working with a bang. Very capacious battery. Bright 5-inch screen with relatively high resolution (1280x720) and wide viewing angles. Nice filling. High quality of the set-top box itself. More or less convenient arrangement of buttons, normal sticks. Convenient navigation in the menu. Stable update support. A couple of PC games sharpened for it + other ports may appear in the future. Famous brand.

What's not to like:

High price. The form factor does not look very reliable - the very first fall of the opened attachment on the floor may be the last. The screen will get in the way if you choose to play with your console connected to a TV. The design generally raises many questions: the console turned out to be large, it is unlikely that you can carry it in your pocket (unless you are Hagrid, of course), but the screen is still small (for NES / SNES / SMD emulation it will do, but for ports from PCs and modern stationary consoles, it is clearly too small). Why it was impossible to take an example from the Chinese and make another "tablet with buttons", but on more powerful hardware and with a higher quality - remains a mystery to me. With software updates, all sorts of jambs appear every now and then + support for some games / applications disappears. Not everyone decides to buy a console at current prices just for the sake of emulators, and then another drawback of it emerges - very few interesting projects come out on Android. Not all Android games have default gamepad support. You can assign buttons and sticks to simulate screen touches, but the on-screen "buttons" will still be displayed on it (and it doesn't look very good). Not all touch games can completely transfer control to the pad, but using a screen with this form factor will be inconvenient. The crosspiece is like on the X360 - here it seems to be more accurate, but still there are some minor concerns You can assign buttons and sticks to simulate screen touches, but the on-screen "buttons" will still be displayed on it (and it doesn't look very good). Not all touch games can completely transfer control to the pad, but using a screen with this form factor will be inconvenient. The crosspiece is like on the X360 - here it seems to be more accurate, but still there are some minor concerns You can assign buttons and sticks to simulate screen touches, but the on-screen "buttons" will still be displayed on it (and it doesn't look very good). Not all touch games can completely transfer control to the pad, but using a screen with this form factor will be inconvenient. The crosspiece is like on the X360 - here it seems to be more accurate, but still there are some minor concerns

Other:

Cloud-based subscription gaming is a dubious thing. Streaming games from a PC is even more dubious.

Reviews:

Spoiler Modified on May 25, 2016 by AMKid

a
albedo 28.07.21

22 hours ago, AMKid said:

@albedo a good selection of consoles, half of them I've never seen live) Is everything connected to TVs?

By the way, how does their playing place look like? It would be interesting to take a look. I only have a PS2 + computer and the main consoles of the current / previous generation from old consoles, but even they take up a lot of space, not to mention the wires, power supplies and gamepads. It was always amazing how some collectors manage to place dozens of systems in one room so that everything is beautifully and conveniently arranged, quickly connected, etc.

jhhKy2V.jpg

Most in boxes. Where is 6 consoles for TV, which I constantly play. Portable on the shelf. I took it and played when you want.

T
Tinkino 28.07.21

I would take Nvidia Shield for 5 thousand, it's a pity that it is more expensive.

V
VLQ 28.07.21

On 05/22/2016 at 06:46 AMKid said:

turned on the display of fps (all the time it shows exactly 50)

run NTSC versions of games

A
AMKid 28.07.21

Another potentially interesting emulation console, this time stationary, is Mad Catz MOJO

YJRS88Q.jpg

What do you like:

Design, compactness. No noise when operating the console. Judging by the reviews, emulators, up to PS1 / N64, work with a bang. Sega Dreamcast and PSP are emulated too, but not all games run perfectly. The filling is almost identical to the Nvidia Shield Portable (the only difference is the Nvidia Tegra 4 1800 MHz processor in MOJO versus Nvidia Tegra 4 1900 MHz in the Shield Portable) Mad Catz have been producing all kinds of accessories for PCs and consoles for a long time - their products, maybe not in all ideal, but they maintain a certain level, so there is no need to worry about the quality of the console itself and the gamepad. A gamepad (this one separately costs 3600-6000r. In Russian stores) as on the XOne, but also with the ability to use it as a mouse and multimedia keys, the location of which should not interfere with the game. By the way, it can be used with any other Android devices (it even comes with a smartphone holder) and PC. Price ~ 9000r. for a good Android console and gamepad (which can be used separately) looks more or less justified. The presence of games optimized for the console. Console in console (OUYA store available).

What's not to like:

Not the most convenient interface and an ugly non-disconnectable panel with buttons at the bottom of the screen when playing movies / games with OUYA (see video # 4) - custom firmware can remove it, but this option is clearly not for everyone. UPD: you can probably hide it also using root and some applications. The "plug and play" principle will not work here - the console runs on a bare Android and at first you have to spend a fair amount of time to manually download and install software updates, select the necessary applications, etc. And if you want to use the capabilities of the set-top box to the maximum, you will also have to bother with the flashing (an example of one of such firmware is in video # 5). The gamepad does not support vibration feedback. For connecting to a mobile phone, emulating old consoles and as a joystick for a second player - it will do without it. But if you, for example, planned to use it as the main controller on a PC, you may be upset. Also, its glossy surface is a little embarrassing - not the most practical solution. The set-top box has only two USB connectors, one of which is occupied by a Bluetooth adapter. There is no shutdown button on the console. There is no such obvious thing in the axis itself - the prefix goes into sleep mode after a certain time, and this is the only way provided by the developers to turn it off (you can, of course, stupidly pull out the power, but it is hardly worth doing this all the time). Craftsmen have implemented the ability to independently turn off the console in custom firmware, but the dubiousness of such a decision by Mad Catz will not diminish from this. Not all Android games can be played with a regular pad. planned to use it as the main controller on the PC - maybe it will upset you. Also, its glossy surface is a little embarrassing - not the most practical solution. The set-top box has only two USB connectors, one of which is occupied by a Bluetooth adapter. There is no shutdown button on the console. There is no such obvious thing in the axis itself - the prefix goes into sleep mode after a certain time, and this is the only way provided by the developers to turn it off (you can, of course, stupidly pull out the power, but it is hardly worth doing this all the time). Craftsmen have implemented the ability to independently turn off the console in custom firmware, but the dubiousness of such a decision by Mad Catz will not diminish from this. Not all Android games can be played with a regular pad. planned to use it as the main controller on the PC - maybe it will upset you. Also, its glossy surface is a little embarrassing - not the most practical solution. The set-top box has only two USB connectors, one of which is occupied by a Bluetooth adapter. There is no shutdown button on the console. There is no such obvious thing in the axis itself - the prefix goes into sleep mode after a certain time, and this is the only way provided by the developers to turn it off (you can, of course, stupidly pull out the power, but it is hardly worth doing this all the time). Craftsmen have implemented the ability to independently turn off the console in custom firmware, but the dubiousness of such a decision by Mad Catz will not diminish from this. Not all Android games can be played with a regular pad. Also, its glossy surface is a little embarrassing - not the most practical solution. The set-top box has only two USB connectors, one of which is occupied by a Bluetooth adapter. There is no shutdown button on the console. There is no such obvious thing in the axis itself - the prefix goes into sleep mode after a certain time, and this is the only way provided by the developers to turn it off (you can, of course, stupidly pull out the power, but it is hardly worth doing this all the time). Craftsmen have implemented the ability to independently turn off the console in custom firmware, but the dubiousness of such a decision by Mad Catz will not diminish from this. Not all Android games can be played with a regular pad. Also, its glossy surface is a little embarrassing - not the most practical solution. The set-top box has only two USB connectors, one of which is occupied by a Bluetooth adapter. There is no shutdown button on the console. There is no such obvious thing in the axis itself - the prefix goes into sleep mode after a certain time, and this is the only way provided by the developers to turn it off (you can, of course, stupidly pull out the power, but it is hardly worth doing this all the time). Craftsmen have implemented the ability to independently turn off the console in custom firmware, but the dubiousness of such a decision by Mad Catz will not diminish from this. Not all Android games can be played with a regular pad. one of which is occupied by a bluetooth adapter. There is no shutdown button on the console. There is no such obvious thing in the axis itself - the prefix goes into sleep mode after a certain time, and this is the only way provided by the developers to turn it off (you can, of course, stupidly pull out the power, but it is hardly worth doing this all the time). Craftsmen have implemented the ability to independently turn off the console in custom firmware, but the dubiousness of such a decision by Mad Catz will not diminish from this. Not all Android games can be played with a regular pad. one of which is occupied by a bluetooth adapter. There is no shutdown button on the console. There is no such obvious thing in the axis itself - the prefix goes into sleep mode after a certain time, and this is the only way provided by the developers to turn it off (you can, of course, stupidly pull out the power, but it is hardly worth doing this all the time). Craftsmen have implemented the ability to independently turn off the console in custom firmware, but the dubiousness of such a decision by Mad Catz will not diminish from this. Not all Android games can be played with a regular pad. stupidly pull out the power, but it is hardly worth doing this all the time). Craftsmen have implemented the ability to independently turn off the console in custom firmware, but the dubiousness of such a decision by Mad Catz will not diminish from this. Not all Android games can be played with a regular pad. stupidly pull out the power, but it is hardly worth doing this all the time). Craftsmen have implemented the ability to independently turn off the console in custom firmware, but the dubiousness of such a decision by Mad Catz will not diminish from this. Not all Android games can be played with a regular pad.

Reviews:

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Tinkino said:

I would take Nvidia Shield for 5 thousand, it's a pity that it is more expensive.

Well, for 7 thousand you can use it. in good condition to find, but since the console is not very popular, it will take a long time to search. And so, yes, 11-12k is a lot, IMHO - purely for emulation, weaker Chinese counterparts look more comfortable and are much cheaper.

7 hours ago, VLQ said:

run NTSC versions of games

I also thought about it, I will definitely try later.

Modified on May 25, 2016 by AMKid

a
albedo 28.07.21

I have a GPD XD for android from a similar one. Basically I play on it in MAMA and the ps1 emulator. Everything is played superbly. The main buttons are physical. They write and let the dreamcast go without problems. But haven't tried it.

A
AMKid 28.07.21

@albedo heard a lot of positive things about it, but the EXEQ Aim Pro is still more of a portable device (the screen is bigger and the body is not a clamshell). Iron has not yet been particularly compared, but it seems that their capabilities are more or less similar.

Modified on May 25, 2016 by AMKid

-
-lena- 28.07.21

@AMKid, nothing a console, but you don't want to get acquainted with the original:  

Exeq Aim Pro, in fact, is a kind of Russian version of the Chinese game console JXD S7800b. Initially Exeq Aim Pro differed from the Chinese model JXD S7800b in increased memory capacity and warranty service in Russia. However, six months later, the Chinese manufacturer also increased the memory of its models.

However, I looked at the price, it has not grown so much. Used to be over 6500 or so. But Shield climbed robustly, before it was 9-10. 

m
mark darcy 28.07.21

why reinvent the wheel, want a normal console for emulators, take psp flash and use it, you need a screen, flash ps vita and use it. You will not find a better portable console, the price of Sonya is 2-3k. You need a laptop or pc for the whole screen, collect stimmashin, an android flash drive player. On carics, if it's expensive to collect them all, if on rewritable ones, then the same images as on PC emulations are also not kosher.

I myself shaved the portable for a long time so that I would carry the gameboy to play, either it is expensive, or does not pull, or the shape and buttons are inconvenient.

Modified May 26, 2016 by mark darcy

A
AMKid 28.07.21

@ -lena- is also possible with the original, but it is unlikely that it will cost much cheaper + delivery (without tracking, the parcels practically do not reach me), waiting and no guarantee

@mark darcy to take PSP only for emulation does not make much sense. They are now, in more or less good condition, 4-5k (Go and Street are cheaper, but they themselves are not very good) + it will still be a used console with all the consequences (it could already be repaired, it may have battery installed, etc.) A new Chinese android console in the same form factor and with similar emulation capabilities will cost 3-4k.

As for the PSV, I didn't even know that they were being stitched. Their shape is more convenient, there are two sticks, and they are sold used. consoles are sometimes cheaper than the same PSP 3008. But for full emulation of stationary consoles like PS1 | N64, they are still not very suitable: the screen is too small, there are not enough L2 / R2 + buttons, I don’t know how on the new revision, but on the old screen it’s itself is not ideal (in the sun you can not see anything at all) and it does not hold a charge for long. Well, again, if you only need emulation, the option is not very good: the new PSV now costs from 9.6k, and the Chinese counterparts in the same case - from 5k.

I'm more inclined to stationary media consoles on android, and from portable devices (if you can call them that), I like Chinese 7-inch "tablets with buttons" like EXEQ Ace and EXEQ Aim Pro (5.5 and 8k, respectively).

Modified May 26, 2016 by AMKid

N
NekiiMolla 28.07.21

@AMKid EXEQ Aim Pro is the Russian name for the JXD 7800b, which is already quite old.
JXD has a new "portable" s192, with a wild price tag of $ 339))))

Spoiler

a
alien boyfriend 28.07.21

Gentlemen, has anyone encountered difficulties in emulating MSX / MSX2 on PSP?
I decided to play SD Snatcher, but I just can't start it.
I did not find detailed instructions on the Internet.

A
AMKid 28.07.21

If suddenly anyone is interested, EXEQ Aim Pro is now at a very good discount (the current price is 4800r, although yesterday it was sold there for 8000r) http://www.pokupalkin.ru/catalogue/elektronika-i-kompyutery/igrovye-pristavki/portativnye / pristavka-exeq-aim-pro /

There are now generally discounts on all portables - http://www.pokupalkin.ru/catalogue/elektronika-i-kompyutery/igrovye-pristavki/portativnye/?min_price=0&max_price=1049990.00

@NekiiMolla looks curious, of course, but the price is O_o

Modified on May 27, 2016 by AMKid

t
thetip 28.07.21

Interesting device for emulation:

B
Beloved and respected by 28.07.21

The ideal would be that hardware that can pull emulators to ps2

Count the entire library up to the 7th generation.

It will be very interesting to know if the phones will be ready for the 4th GTA anniversary or if they will receive it for the fifteenth anniversary.

-
-lena- 28.07.21

Yes, the PS2 emulator on android will be extremely interesting when it can work normally, well enough. More precisely: it is the portable version of the game.

Http://w3bsit3-dns.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=661694 - I follow the development of the topic (for now: only at the beginning of the path)

On a PC, I play with PCSX2.

Http://w3bsit3-dns.com/2016/03/20/285009/ - from this article about retro games and nostalgia, I found an interesting interview: http://w3bsit3-dns.com/2016/02/25/279988/

"... The editors of w3bsit3-dns.com decided to talk to the person who runs the store, who not only out of all the crises survived the era of Famicom clones, but also continues to delight its customers with the wonderful world of video games.

For Novosibirsk residents, the name "Alkor" has long been associated with something from childhood ... "

Modified on May 30, 2016 by -lena-
duplicate post

A
Amil_Gaoul 28.07.21

16 minutes ago, -lena- said:

found an interesting interview: http://w3bsit3-dns.com/2016/02/25/279988/

This interview was posted in the topic of gaming blogs somehow. During my entire stay in Novosibirsk, I visited this store only once.

r
reptail 28.07.21

Uuuu, I remember Alcor well, I used to look there often, they had a very large library of ps2 games.

Y
Yourepicfail 28.07.21

Sega Releases Two New Versions of Its Retro Mega Drive Console

A few days ago, Japanese company Nintendo released a miniature modern version of its 8-bit retro console. Now Sega is taking a similar step. The company has revived its console in honor of the 25th anniversary of the Sonic the Hedgehog gaming franchise. Moreover, two versions of the set-top box are presented at once - ordinary (small compared to the original, in size) and portable. 

The first version of the console works with original Mega Drive cartridges. It comes with wireless controllers and a system for connecting a set-top box to a TV. 
The portable version is equipped with a 3.2-inch display. Inside is a battery that can be charged using a regular USB data cable. 

Both consoles come with 80 built-in games, including the most popular Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Golden Ax, and Comix Zone. That is, you can play immediately after turning on the console. If you want other games, you can download the ROM to an SD card and play on the portable version. 

Nintendo's response costs $ 65 and will be available in October.

Game List:
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle 
Alien Storm 
Altered Beast 
Arrow Flash 
Bonanza Bros. 
Chakan: The Forever Man 
Columns 
Columns 3 
Comix Zone 
Crack Down 
DecapAttack 
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine 
ESWAT: City Under Siege 
Eternal Champions 
Fatal Labyrinth 
Flicky 
Gain Ground 
Golden Ax 
Golden Ax 2 
Golden Ax 3 
Jewel Master 
Kid Chameleon 
Phantasy Star 2 
Phantasy Star 3 
Ristar 
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi 
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master 
Sonic & Knuckles 
Sonic Spinball 
Sonic the Hedgehog 
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 
Sonic 3D Blast 
Sword of Varmilion 
The Ooze 
Vectorman 
Vectorman 2 
Mortal Kombat 1 
Mortal Kombat 2 
Mortal Kombat 3 
Adventure in the Park 
Cross the road 
Jack's Pea 
Jewel Magic 
Curling 2010 
Plumbing Contest 
Wall-Breaking 
Bubble Master 
Break a Fireline 
Mahjong Solitaire 
Warehouse Keeper 
Chess 
Memory 
Snake 
Air Hockey 
Spider 
Naval Power 
Mr. Balls 
Cannon 
Fight or Lose 
Bottle Taps Race 
Bomber 
Checker 
Hexagonos 
Whack-A-Wolf 
Mirror Mirror 
Panic Lift 
Black Sheep 
Flash Memory 
Brain Switch 
Mega Brain Switch 
Hidden Agenda 
Dominant Amber 
Hide and Seek 
Jura Formula 
Lost World Sudoku 
Meatloaf Rotation 
Mya Master Mind 
Skeleton Scale 
T- Rex Memory Match 
Yawning Triceratops

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/sega-sonic-25th-anniversary-range

main-625x440.jpg00164-625x440.jpg

S
SENEL 28.07.21

By the way, I have an atari clone with built-in games. I don’t remember what it’s called, but I think you get the idea.

It's funny that even manipulators are still working levers.