3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Azzy 28.07.21 11:25 pm

Restructuring of game topics of the forum

In general, we have casually discussed this a couple of times, but did not specifically discuss it. For a long time I began to think more and more about the implementation of this idea. As it seems to me, this is now more relevant than ever.

At first I wanted to do this: make subforums on games in each of the genre forums, and transfer the topics there. For example, in the FPS forum, create subforums on CoD and Halo, In simulators for GT, Forza and FIFA with PES, etc. But there would be one problem. 

The problem may be that, for example, the old resiks are in the Survivor section, and the new one is in the Action ... If you make subforums, then the resik is, as it were, needed by default. On the other hand, the Survivor section itself is by and large a section not about anything, because we have gameplay genres, and Survivor is a narrative genre, just at the time this section was created, "Quests" with such a narrative part were quite popular .. in general, he offered this idea in modernization and options for solving the problem with a resik and the same heal or with Halo Worth the same problem, the main series of FPS, and this is a strategy ...

There was a second option, but I didn’t like it because of its cumbersomeness. Instead of forums with a genre name, make a bunch of forums with the name of games without mentioning genres. and move all genre forums to a separate sub-forum like "other games by genre" ...

However, then we came to the conclusion that we could make a separate sub-forum like "Game series" and there already separate sub-forums by series.

In general, we did not discuss much with the moderators, but I think we need to discuss it now in the general section. Who thinks what, well, if you don't like it, suggest your options. I don’t screw up the voting yet.

For example, the scheme of the last proposed option:

GameMAG Forums → Section "Games" → subsection "Game series" subforum → "Devil May Cry" → tama DmC: Devil May Cry - mechanics → tama DmC: Devil May Cry - plot [careful spoilers] → tama Devil May Cry 4 → tama Devil May Cry HD collection → tama Devil May Cry 3 → tama Devil May Cry 2 → tama Devil May Cry 1 

And so for each popular series or games with one idea such as demons souls and dark souls will have their own themes in one sub-forum.

35 Comments
Sort by:
D
DGQ 28.07.21

[member = 'Allmighty L'], read it, yes. but, if there will be no problems with sports, fighting games and races, then, unfortunately, the rest, unfortunately, has long been a bunch of small ones.

A
Allmighty L 28.07.21

[member = 'ff8frm'], well it should be. There will be exceptions, but that is why they are exceptions. Nobody will put standard NFS into sims, but some kind of dirt can be shoved into a sim, but it will be possible not to write it down. That's not fatal.

[member = 'DGQ'], yes everything is ok, anyway some type of game mechanics prevails. You shouldn't be crazy about such trifles. If someone really wants to discuss the game, then he will find a suitable topic. Moreover, the discussion of a specific game on a hamagh most often lasts no longer than a year, then everyone forgets about it. In the meantime, the discussion goes on, the game pops up in hot topics.

F
Freeman 28.07.21

[member = 'Allmighty L'], genres will suffer for a long time, you just have to put something where. Let's put the original NFS into the "racing" section, and then into the "arcade racing" subsection =)

[offtopic]

[quote name = 'Allmighty L' timestamp = '1362044690' post = '3141268'] http: //ru.wikipedia....computer_games [/ quote]

great genre Shoot 'em up, I immediately remember Clive Owen. : icon_mrgreen:

[/ offtopic]

W
Wurz-7 28.07.21

[member = 'Azzy'], I started typing thoughts on this topic into my notebook and even expanding it. Maybe tomorrow or next week I'll post it. As I write, more and more thoughts appear.

b
bag of noctae 28.07.21

support

M
MRDrama 28.07.21

And then sometimes it gets boring to read 5-10 pages of the forum on which they discuss not how to get through the next boss or find a cache, but how to eliminate lags and run the game on such and such hardware and blah blah blah.

You definitely need to do something with this, because after the release of a certain game on the PC, the desire to read the thread on this game and generally go into it ever disappears.

Modified on March 2, 2013 by MRDrama

n
nagibator666 28.07.21

[quote name = 'MRDrama' timestamp = '1362252577' post = '3145373'] after a certain game is released on the PC, the desire to read the thread on this game and generally enter it ever disappears. [/ quote]

I fully support it. The forum is still a game one, and not some kind of technical one. 

F
Fraaancis 28.07.21

It would be nice to make sections "Technical" "Discussion" "Spoilers" and already in them (in each) create Genres -> Games. As an option.

W
Wurz-7 28.07.21

I support.

All that I thought of.

Some series have many games, some parts can be combined into one theme. But this is a rarity, on the forum in the depths there is almost everything.
Create topics for discussion of the plot with open spoilers as needed, and not for each game in a row.
I would suggest one topic for the entire series with open spoilers, and in separate topics for each game they can discuss this particular game with closed spoilers. If the plot in each game of the series is separate and capacious, you can also on the topic with open spoilers for each game.
Add themes for technical pc problems and graphical settings if the game is released on a PC.
Create themes for multiplayer and trophies.
Thus, in the main topic, they unsubscribe in general about the grafon, their impressions as they progress, closed spoilers, questions, exchange of experience, discussion of mechanics, reviews, about music, and so on. The theme is multiplayer about multiplayer, the theme is a story about a story, etc. At first, they may be confused, but over time they will figure it out.
You can open special topics. For example, for laying out comics on the series (in the topic of DMC they began to upload their translation) or discussing books on the series (Metro, The Witcher, Halo, etc.).

Just as examples:

God of War 1-2
God of War Ghost of Sparta, Chains of Olympus
God of War 3
God of War Ascension
God of War Ascension - multiplayer
God of War - plot (spoilers)
God of War - trophies
God of War 4 - waiting for

Battlefield 3
Battlefield 3 - multiplayer (now there is no point in such a theme, just as an example)
Battlefield BC, BC2
Battlefield 1942, Vietnam
Battlefield -
Battlefield trophies - technical problems of the PC,
Battlefield settings - plot (spoilers)
Battlefield 4 - we are waiting.

Some close series may need to be combined into one subsection.
For example, Battlefield and Medal of Honor, Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Rising, Metro and Stalker.

Whether to combine abandoned or unpopular series into subsections?
For example, Fear, Unreal, StarhawK, Prototype, SOCOM, Sniper Elite, Kane & Lynch, Sengoku Basara?
As on a root tracker. For convenience, only the most popular TV series are displayed on the main page.
If you unload the section with all the games, pulling out popular series from it, less than half of the games will remain, and already among them it will be easier for users to find the same Kane & Lynch 2.

Themes by trophies.
Ideally, this applies to every game, but at least to game series whose platforms support prizes.
We are far from strateg.ru, but perhaps someone would like to be able to speak out about trophies right here and not get lost among other posts.
I don’t think it will get any worse from having such a topic.
True, most likely there will be carbon copies of the text from stratege.ru, or just a link, or the phrase "see stratege.ru". Here it is worth discussing whether it is allowed or not (I'm talking about a link to a third-party resource).
On the other hand, someone might want to help someone with online trophies.
You can create a theme in several episodes and see the activity.

Transferring the news topic to the topic of the corresponding series.
I think I have already read something similar, it seems, even from you.
I think of it something like this: A
subsection of a specific series. The main topics are fixed in the right order. The news for this series continues in chronological order in separate topics.
I don’t know how it should work technically. You can transfer them manually from the "Discussion Articles".
Sometimes in the comments to the news there are quite interesting discussions. For example, such posts.
It would be possible to transfer topics with a discussion of Gaimmag's reviews to these subsections.

From the point of view of a moderator.
1. The moderation time will increase.
2. How to deal with offtopic?
In any conversation, they can start jumping from one topic to another, then discuss multiplayer where it is not necessary, then the plot, then the wrong series ... And it will be offtopic.
Delete, transfer, leave as is ...
Again, the increase in time for moderation.
3. Spoilers. How can I check a theme with open spoilers if I haven't played the game yet?

I would like to somehow start topics with people search for:
- co-op multiplayer
- cooperative play in cooperative modes
- cooperative play in story-driven cooperative games
- help in getting trophies in network games
- boost in network games (the strategist.ru is full of such topics, maybe someone would like to help each other here)
I don't know how best to organize it. But now is the time.
For testing, one could create themes for several game series, and again look at the activity.
PS4 wants to make it more social, we also need it. : up:

Given the possible variety of topics, it would be convenient to be able to make a selection of topics for yourself.
For example, a person is only interested in multiplayer 2 games, the plot of 4 games, discussion of 5 expected projects.
He compiles these topics. And the forum has his personal section with selected topics.
Although, it is possible that it has already been implemented. : icon_smile: There are so many buttons on the forum. : rolleyes07:

Fluently collected (a lot of missing) on ​​the forum "live" series only from their sections (FPS and Action) to feel the volume:

Crysis
Call of Duty
Killzone
Battlefield
HALO
BioShock
Medal of Honor
Tom Clancy's
Half-Life
Resistance
Far Cry
Dead Island

Gears of War
God of War
Sly Cooper
Grand Theft Auto
One Piece
Assassin's Creed
Uncharted
Ninja Gaiden
Devil May Cry
inFAMOUS
Resident Evil
Castlevania
Twisted Metal
Hitman
Metal Gear Solid
Max Payne
ZOE: Zone of the Enders
Bayonetta
Mario
Batman
Army of Two
Yakuza
LittleBigPlanet
Spider-Man
Thief
Naruto
Rayman
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Monster Hunter
Ratchet and Clank
Star Wars
Transformers
Prince of Persia
James Bond
Saints Row
Mafia
LEGO
Splinter Cell
+ fighting games, + adventure games, + horror, + racing, + rpg, + zhrpg, + strategy, + sports

Nafoshopil about. To have an idea of ​​what will turn out in the end. Perhaps you are planning to arrange it differently.

I don't know how you can arrange ALL episodes of ALL genres in one list: icon_eek:. Arranged by genre. It even looks a bit big. Although tolerable.
I have arranged the series (the lists above) alphabetically.

43adc72315e5dc366205c057cba7dc56.png

A
Azzy 28.07.21

In principle, what you wrote is the main idea of ​​how I'm going to implement it. With the only difference that making subforums in sections by genre would not be ok because some games of the same series have different genres.
But games are similar series from one publisher / developer but with different names, I also think it could be combined as you described. Rasing Revenge in the Metal Gear sub-forum, injustice and MK ... By the way, MoH and BF could have been merged if not for the latest news from EA that they are closing the series for a while. Therefore, I think MoH and other dead episodes do not touch at all

the idea of ​​combining abandoned episodes, I don't know, I think abandoned episodes should be left where they are now, since all genre sections will remain early. I'm only going to display popular series in a separate sub-forum.
Transferring the news topic to the topic of the corresponding series. It seems that I have already read something similar, it seems, even from you. Yes, I asked Wodomon if it could be somehow automated and he said yes.

I don’t know how you can arrange ALL episodes of ALL genres in one list, not all, but only the most popular ones.

By genres, it would be good of course, but tcnm obvious problems with the fact that games have different genres and with the fact that now there are games that combine a bunch of genres, so I think it's better to sub-forum "popular series" and there, regardless of the genre, in alphabetical order games.

M
MRDrama 28.07.21

Do you happen to be considering options with the division of Sections into subsections? I just thought that it would not be bad if, for example, the RPG section was divided into ZhRPG and TsRPG so that it would be more convenient. Or, similarly, the survival horror and adventure section can be made as subsections of the action, where there would also be Slashers and TPS. Although, of course, this is most likely very steamy and will take a lot of time, but I just shared my opinion.

Modified on March 7, 2013 by MRDrama

A
Azzy 28.07.21

[member = 'MRDrama'], on the contrary, I want to get away from the division into genres, because today it is such an ephemeral concept that it will turn out that some kind of GTA should be everywhere at once =) Especially when it comes to genres such as "Horror", " jRPG "and" open world ".

Simply, if you add segmentation of forums by genre, given that now the games themselves are trying to avoid strict segmentation by genre, many questions will arise. For example: what genre is God of War - Beat`m`Up or Action-Adventure? What's the genre of Journey? Is Uncharted a 3 person shooter or platformer, or an Action-Adventure?

M
MRDrama 28.07.21

[member = 'Azzy'], well, wikipedia, if anything, will always tell you what the game genre is GTA - action adventure, Anch - TPS, Journey - adventure: gigi :. But this is of course a joke.

Initially, in general, I thought about an RPG with subsections for F, C and Action RPG (borderlands, deus Ex), there, in theory, questions about what to what should not arise. Although, of course, who knows, people can be different)) 

W
Wurz-7 28.07.21

By genres, it would be good, of course, but tcnm obvious problems with the fact that games have different genres and with the fact that now there are games that combine a bunch of genres, so I think it's better to sub-forum "popular series" and there, regardless of genre, in alphabetical order games.

Will it look like this?

191bd4b35d67b9896f4197f9193c352d.png

Looks empty. And so four screens.
I photographed the pictures for the sake of interest, to see how it will look. It may be easier to find the right series with them.

In general, I am for ... But at least some kind of breakdown by genre seems to me more convenient. : icon_rolleyes: There

are a lot of even the most popular series. I counted about 60 episodes in all (not only my) sections.
An impressive list of subsections is obtained. The list is on almost 4 screens. You get old while you scroll to Uncharted. : icon_lol:

How can a person determine where the game they are looking for is in popular series or not? : rolleyes07:

If the episode is abandoned in a year or two and its popularity declines, should the subsection with this episode be disbanded? Or the opposite situation - a new game of an unpopular, forgotten series comes out, a lot of discussions - quickly make a subsection in the series and collect all topics with games in this series into it? Vain.

How do I moderate this section?
When dividing by genre, it is more convenient to moderate. There is a section in which only yours, and you read it. And so it turns out that first read the genre section, and then look for your own among these 60 subsections? Very, very inconvenient. I am afraid that much will simply not be read. Now everything is simple, and I read all the topics in a row in my sections and more or less sure that everything has been read.

since the genre sections will all remain early.

If, nevertheless, create a section with popular series of all genres, tk. the genre sections will be unloaded, I would suggest combining some. For example, action + fps + adventure + horror.

A
Azzy 28.07.21

[quote name = 'Wurz-7' timestamp = '1363099637' post = '3161226'] Looks empty. [/ quote]

for that on the main forum it will be a list. Photoshop is far away, so I'll try to show by the forum:

GaQspBj.jpg

[quote name = 'Wurz-7' timestamp = '1363099637' post = '3161226'] How can a person determine where the game they are looking for is in popular series or not? [/ quote] You look in the list, if it is not in the list, you go to the genre or simply "search the forum".

[quote name = 'Wurz-7' timestamp = '1363099637' post = '3161226'] But at least some kind of breakdown by genre seems more convenient to me. [/ quote] 

Well, damn it, what to write again about the fact that a bunch of games today do not have a specific genre? Well, the truth is not to write the same thing ten times.

[quote name = 'Wurz-7' timestamp = '1363099637' post = '3161226'] How do I moderate this section? [/ quote] to put a separate moderator for each episode? it is not necessary for the entire section to be watched by one. You can always get people. Plus glabal moderators who are already moderating the entire forum. And so for example [member = 'Vincent'] give FF section, MGS - [member = 'dozensnake'], CoD - [member = 'alxp90'], etc. Everyone will sort out his own section, one can be alone, some can be without a moderator (for the forces of the Globals, as now Fighting, Sports and Sims without local moderators).

[quote name = 'Wurz-7' timestamp = '1363099637' post = '3161226'] the genre sections will be unloaded, I would suggest combining some [/ quote] yes, you will have to think about that too.