3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
J
JoYoung 28.10.21 09:30 pm

Using Windows XP in 2021?

Hello. Purely out of curiosity, I want to know if anyone is using windows xp now? How? What for? Why?
20 Comments
Sort by:
O
OakSorcerer 28.10.21

JoYoung
There are those who collect time machines purely for the sake of nostalgia and to have fun at their leisure. There are also, most likely, cars at some specific enterprises, everything works in auto mode there.

In principle, I think you can use it if you find some browser adapted for XP, like there was a fork of Firefox once, xs, will it be developed today. I think there are more scenarios, but I do not see the obvious ones, other than those that I described above.

v
vftor 28.10.21

JoYoung
3 computers out of 5 work on Win.XP - 2 computers are specially ancient for DOS programs, and the third one for music, movies, games (2002-2005) that work worse on Win.7 x64 but better on Win.XP, and of course without an internet connection. Generally, Win.XP is convenient, but weak compared to Win.7 x86 and x64. Tried Win.10 too, but this Windows Virus. So there is no better Win.7 yet.

L
Lex-one 28.10.21

vftor Windows
virus witnesses.
Funny, no words.

M
MunchkiN 616 28.10.21

I have a blue screen where windows xp. I do not use. as well as screw up your 2007 for example.
I would finally use Windows 98 but it is not installed because of the drivers sat. but on it the games ran fast. in hp they blunt strongly and poured out. bad Windows unoptimized.

k
kurskiy 28.10.21

Nafig need, no updates, software only of the same time, even a browser can not be installed, you need to look for ancient versions or those who write something else under XP. When, for the sake of fun, the ancient candy bar decided to "revive" - ​​put Linux Mint and it is quite cheerfully under it for simple everyday tasks (listen to music, sit on the network, print a file) works.

n
not me 28.10.21

I would love to try it. Yes, not where to get it.

r
requiemmm 28.10.21

Stands on two cars. One is on its last legs, ancient glands are living out their days in it and it is really better not to touch them, it is used to "watch movies and look through books", the second is also an honored veteran, but a little younger, "just in case", in principle, she could to pull the seven, but there is no practical need to do this. Perhaps I need to launch some of the games that even under the seven no longer work, who knows?)

G
Gott mit uns 28.10.21

MunchkiN 616
You can bake Species 95. I had such a pitch of thought in the summer, under a sultry hot July night, to bake Vince 95 for a 7200 revolving jib. I remember they put it to me in the furry 90s through floppy disks of flopik 1.44. Truly witchcraft times of the dark magic of fire and sword in the rays of the new pitch baked hope on the threshold to don grafonia!

v
vftor 28.10.21

Lex-one
Competent programmers wrote about it on the Internet. And I was convinced of this.

M
MunchkiN 616 28.10.21

Gott mit uns
there most likely there will be a problem with the drivers if you collect an old pitch on a random one. in turn, 98 will not normally stand on a 64-bit multi-core processor and if the RAM is more than 2 GB. if you put on a virtual box, it seems like the GPU acceleration will not work there. And all the great meaning of Windows 95-98 is to play games with DOS and 16 bit applications as an option (although it's like any 32 bit Windows) and games with dx7-8.1. accordingly. So I thought of somehow playing wizardry 8 live on PeKa. I run it and see that there is something wrong and artifacts. and there, in short, the fog does not work. I go through on YouTube and there is also no grafon. and on the launch there is fog. grafon is found. but I remember that on ogl the graphon was a little worse (for example, the metallic shader might not work there or not so high quality), so I appear to have a suspicion that I am not playing on ultramax. but in the field of radiance, or what is there a gorgeous RPG - there are such errors and glitches of shaders. most likely it can be corrected somehow. I sometimes in general sculpted the ENB converter from dx8.1 to 9s, put the ENB, received a slide and immediately solved a bunch of problems with artifacts, and if there could be nvidia ssao the cake could be cut in, so that over the ultrasound we get anisotropic 16 instead of 8. but in a dream with all games this the focus will pass. and if I am listed as a hatelba to pass the siege of Avalon, the interface generally bugs and I do not know how to refuel it. There is, of course, like a new remaster, but I'm not a remaster, I hach ​​with a cheat to. and then I think so why the heck all this ... there are cool games for pitch. year of war cyberpunk 2077 rdr2 for pitch,

G
Gott mit uns 28.10.21

MunchkiN 616
Yes, only great pitch healers and pitch shamans can come up with such baking experiences even at the dawn of the grafon gods. On nastolgiya feel the dawn of the initial iron gaming with Windows 95. Now for the new pitch of terminators it is difficult to find a driver package for the same Indian XP. And for earlier vindovozov it is even difficult to find Sata support, not to mention the network card, viduha, sound and similar group sex. But for the sake of experimenting, you can just throw vin95-98 into the brain of a modern terminator and run some kind of 3D test in the person of a paint. Old vindovozov all have 32 bits and 16 bits for wine 95. So I think to remember the times of the medieval dark pitch of the era of the lamp monitor, the muscle wheel of the rodent, two meters of the operative in the person of sdram.

a
an0r0m 28.10.21

vftor
windows virus
Do you at least understand what you wrote?
The 10 has many advantages. Starting with WDDM, WSL, better security and good usability. Ending up with a Microsoft store that is updated regularly and has exclusives (I'm not just talking about games), Console for example. And also by the fact that 10 is supported to this day. And helluva lot of smart conservatives can continue to sit on xp 7 and enjoy life, at the same time pouring guan on developers for the fact that they stopped supporting the old trash as well as x86.
Answering the question about win xp in 2021, I can say. that there is software that might require XP X86 specifically. From the modern I can mention the utility Viktoria, which requires XP to work properly. There is software that is not updated, but it can be very effective for solving specific problems, but it works unstable or does not work at all on modern operating systems. There is hardware with win xp on board, which works in enterprises and does an excellent job with tasks. In such a situation, the upgrade will not bring any significant benefit. But if there is a desire to use a PC in the modern world (games Internet surfing programming work study), then XP will not bring any benefit, tk. the product is technically out of date.

a
airstorm 28.10.21

JoYoung wrote:
is there anyone using windows xp now?
There are quite a few ... literally across the road, a half-kilometer building filled with such computers - they cut and weld sheet metal.
JoYoung wrote:
How? What for? Why?
Sheet metal cutting and cutting machines. RS 232 port control. RS 232 -> USB converters do not work correctly. Native software for Win 7 does not run in any compatibility mode.
Machine tools for laser welding of sheet metal :). The same story.
In general, various kinds of machines and devices, as well as highly specialized devices, require an old XP for their specific programs.
In the field of mobile communications, we still have a lot of base station analyzers, spectrum analyzers, SWR meters that work on RS 232 exclusively with Win XP. I myself use an old, but very accurate Anritsu device - at home an old gaming computer for XP is plowing for it.
Well, and anticipating the "WHY" modification in the form of "why not upgrade to a new one or upgrade the old" ... in most cases due to too many devices and / or the high cost of upgrading per piece. For example, on a machine for cutting sheet metal: there you need to replace the control module for the power supply circuit of the motors. A small electronic scarf with some kind of microcontroller and firmware - 840 euros. Plus his native 232-USB converter, with some kind of fright, as much as 132 euros, although you can replace the board itself - there is a brand new USB instead of the old 9-pin - but in this case the price will be 168 euros against 132. Plus the new version of the software together with the driver - 86 euros. Well, why pay 1000-plus euros for the modernization, if the new machine itself was bought for only 5300 (well ... yes ... in 2000).

v
vftor 28.10.21

an0r0m
I'm not going to prove anything to you, the flag is in your hands and these are your problems.

L
Lex-one 03.11.21

vftor
There is also a lot of things written on the fence.
Either you throw proofs, or you continue to pray for viruses.

M
McLaren MP4-4 03.11.21

User # 1

P
Pridymai_nik 04.05.22

vftor
and there is no installer for an hour?

V
VITYA_KOLYADENKO 31.05.22

Well, I recently downloaded XP. I was able to almost pass one level of the game, only Palpatine did not fail.

5ky1ine 25.10.22

Regarding the above "viruses" (some conspiracy theories, straight), the base of the entire Windows family is the same anyway, and the old systems are just the most vulnerable. And in terms of stability, he gradually did not recognize 7rku after XP, after 7rki 8rku, after 8rki - 10k. And without a doubt, the younger the system, the more stable it is (not on release, of course). All 10s before 1909 suffered from an unstable conductor, as an example. 20h2 messed up with updates, because of which the system could be put on the shoulder blades for one or two. Vin11 is still quite raw and on crutches, in general, it will only have to be an amateur. Today, objectively, 1909 10 is the most stable, I would even say not killed. You can love 7rka because of the nice interface, or Piggy for nostalgia or conservatism, but there are facts) Piggy has never been famous for stability at all) Again, who loaded the system how,

l
lapwing mouse 25.10.22

I have XP on my computer on one of the gestures for the sake of one legendary mega game Gorky 17. Because of it, the passion for turn-based strategies began almost a quarter of a century ago🙂