3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Alexander Bekker 11.11.21 09:33 pm

Strange and frightening noise from the system unit.

Greetings. In general, the problem is this. Suddenly, a very strange noise appeared from the system unit. I don’t know what this heartbreaking sound can be compared to and how to describe it, so I will provide the recordings below. It looks like there is a problem with one of the hard drives. The old Samsung is already eight years old (it is also the system one). Surprisingly, during the noise, the computer works flawlessly and the data is read without problems, the video is played, files are opened without delays, and so on.
In order to find out the reason, I did the following. Turned off the PC, waited ten minutes and started again. The noise did not disappear anywhere, but it died down after ten seconds. Then it appeared again (at first it started to crack, then the same noise) when I hovered the cursor over a 15 GB film on my recently purchased terabyte. I thought it was a new propeller dying, tk. I have it with weirdness (the same Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB, whose problems I wrote about earlier). I took it out, which means I started the PC without it, but the noise remained. Some kind of ringing whistle or something. That is, the problem is still not in the new hard drive, but then it is strange why the noise appeared when accessing its data. Tried running defragmentation and it ran fine. After about twenty minutes, everything was quiet. Turned off the computer, plugged in a new hard drive,
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0LYOZiD8IAm
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1EG1T7VMNKE
I don't know if this power supply unit can still sin. In theory, the computer should have turned off, because such sounds clearly symbolize something serious. But nothing turned off, there was no smell. After all, the system engineer is such that it is very difficult to find out the source of the sound: you listen to the power supply unit - you hear the sound from it, you listen to the hard drive - as if it comes from it. It is incomprehensible at all. And it's too alive for a dying hard drive.

What could be the problem? I had never encountered such a thing before, and this behavior shocked me, to put it mildly. Could it be that the type of "had been ill"? Well, somehow, by itself, or something, something was corrected there and stopped making noise.

I would be grateful for the help provided.
31 Comments
Sort by:
g
graptor 11.11.21

Most likely some kind of cooler is making noise.

a
a.srael 11.11.21

+ for the fact that some of the valves is on its breath

A
Alexander Bekker 11.11.21

a.srael
graptor
Can a fan make such hellish sounds? Especially under the conditions described above.

G
Gai-sensei 11.11.21

Open the lid and listen.

L
LD123 11.11.21

Fade Baker
Hmm ..... Hellish sounds you say ..... Maybe you got devils or demons there? Try to light it up, invite a priest, maybe it will pass.

E
Eroppo 11.11.21

Fade Baker
So disconnect everything from the motherboard and try to turn it on - there will be no noise, connect the coolers one by one and listen when the sound appears

A

Danil Nazurbaev
Why is your sarcasm here?
Gai-sensei
Well, if I took out the screw, maybe I already opened the lid and listened, didn't I?
> you listen to the power supply - you hear the sound from it, you listen to the hard drive - as if it is coming from it.
And apparently you haven't finished reading this far. Well, as always, we read the title and made conclusions.

Y
You wanna PUNCAKE 11.11.21

If there are coolers, then try to turn off each one in turn, find the problem one, so to speak. If the hard drive, then only change. The sounds are hellish indeed, but in words you will not understand what is wrong with you there.

z
zagruzon 11.11.21

You wanna PUNCAKE
can not even be turned off, just press down lightly with your finger, press down so that it does not rotate for a short time and so calculate.
the author of the topic. first try to completely disassemble, clean, then check the coolers

L
LD123 11.11.21

Fade Baker
In addition, instead of guessing why these sounds can be: 1. Googling in the end, sooner or later you will find a solution to your problem. 2. You can call the master like you yourself, well, you can't figure it out, and there a person is more professional and his call will be inexpensive.

A

You wanna PUNCAKE
eroppo The
last time I turned on the computer, the noise did not appear anymore. Generally strange.
The cooler of the processor and video card cannot make such infernal sounds. Unless there is a fan on the power supply, but there is no way you can turn it off. And a malfunctioning hard drive would manifest itself in a slow system. And if there was a reason in the power supply, then I think the computer would have turned off already, because the sound is not without reason. So I don't even know what to think and what to expect.
Danil Nazurbaev
Wanderings in Google did not bring any results, otherwise I would not have to create a topic here. The wizard may then be called in the event of a precedent.

a
a.srael 11.11.21

Fade Baker
The valve can still make such sounds, especially if the bearing is dead. Moreover, as practice shows with my vidyahy, on which 1 of 3 valves works on parole, the sounds are almost the same, except that there are no squeaks.

M
MunchkiN 616 11.11.21

I currently know that hard drives can make noise. in particular, I have one disk creates a fierce noise when the pitch extinguishes the monitor. and why I do not know.
fans should make a little different noise. the sound is butchet a bit rhythmic, it can smoothly arise and fade. the fan can also start every other time if it warms up. For example, I was looking for a source of discomfort pitch for a long time, I stopped all the fans in turn, I was just bored that it was a power supply, but it turned out that it was a processor cooler that ruined one pitch-pitch propeller.

A

a.srael
I'm not very good at this, but why has the noise still stopped and now does not manifest itself? And why did it appear at the very moment when the data was being accessed?

b
bloomm 11.11.21

In my opinion, you have settled Soton, call the Exorcist. I found a decaying problem.

Y
You wanna PUNCAKE 11.11.21

Fade Baker
My CPU cooler was noisy and louder. But the sound, yes, was not so ... terrifying. The power supply can be turned on without the motherboard. Or maybe the video card coolers really are. Try to start the computer, as described above, slightly press down the coolers on the video card. And then unsubscribe, what and how.

M
MassChester87 11.11.21

Fade Baker
Lubricate the fans, it happens to them.

M
Morgal 11.11.21

Yes it is a valve. The grease is dry. When it has been working for a while, it warms up and stops making noise. Find the problem color and lubricate.
Had the same problem

S
Sanchez ramirez 11.11.21

For the future for the author:
1. clicks, taps - CDM dies;
2. squeak - throttle (although there is nothing particularly critical here);
3. hum, howl - of the cooler (either the grease has dried up, or the bearing has spilled).
As the comrade said above, the buzz disappears after a while, since the remaining grease unwinds and heats up. In my practice, this has happened several times.

A

Thank you all for your answers! Now everything is fine, nothing is buzzing. I will hope that this muck will no longer make itself felt. Otherwise, I will already take some measures.