3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Alexander Bekker 11.11.21 09:33 pm

Strange and frightening noise from the system unit.

Greetings. In general, the problem is this. Suddenly, a very strange noise appeared from the system unit. I don’t know what this heartbreaking sound can be compared to and how to describe it, so I will provide the recordings below. It looks like there is a problem with one of the hard drives. The old Samsung is already eight years old (it is also the system one). Surprisingly, during the noise, the computer works flawlessly and the data is read without problems, the video is played, files are opened without delays, and so on.
In order to find out the reason, I did the following. Turned off the PC, waited ten minutes and started again. The noise did not disappear anywhere, but it died down after ten seconds. Then it appeared again (at first it started to crack, then the same noise) when I hovered the cursor over a 15 GB film on my recently purchased terabyte. I thought it was a new propeller dying, tk. I have it with weirdness (the same Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB, whose problems I wrote about earlier). I took it out, which means I started the PC without it, but the noise remained. Some kind of ringing whistle or something. That is, the problem is still not in the new hard drive, but then it is strange why the noise appeared when accessing its data. Tried running defragmentation and it ran fine. After about twenty minutes, everything was quiet. Turned off the computer, plugged in a new hard drive,
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0LYOZiD8IAm
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1EG1T7VMNKE
I don't know if this power supply unit can still sin. In theory, the computer should have turned off, because such sounds clearly symbolize something serious. But nothing turned off, there was no smell. After all, the system engineer is such that it is very difficult to find out the source of the sound: you listen to the power supply unit - you hear the sound from it, you listen to the hard drive - as if it comes from it. It is incomprehensible at all. And it's too alive for a dying hard drive.

What could be the problem? I had never encountered such a thing before, and this behavior shocked me, to put it mildly. Could it be that the type of "had been ill"? Well, somehow, by itself, or something, something was corrected there and stopped making noise.

I would be grateful for the help provided.
31 Comments
Sort by:
A
Alexander Bekker 11.11.21

I seem to figure out what the problem was. I took off the old hard drive, unscrewed its cooling, cleaned everything of dust, of which there was a lot, and then looked closely and noticed that the central circle is like this (sorry for ignorance, I don't understand this, therefore I describe it in my own words), around which the fan blades are attached , burst in several places, well, and staggers still. I twisted it and noticed obstacles to rotation and that notorious whistling sound, which, apparently, intensifies with the speed of rotation and takes on more frightening forms. Also smelled a burnt smell in that place. In short, I started the PC without cooling this and there is no noise. The problem is most likely resolved. It remains only to observe the temperature of the screw, and if it is higher, then you will have to buy two coolers at once: for the old and for the new screw. By the way, this cooling has been in operation for eight years. A natural failure, given the quality of the then production.
Thank you all for your help!
Spoiler Ah, yes, another question. Why didn't this cooling disappear in the HWMonitor list and even shows its temperature?

S
Sanchez ramirez 11.11.21

Because this is the temperature from the temperature sensors of the railway. 29 degrees, where else to cool it? The optimum idle temperature is about 34-37 degrees, and low temperatures do not benefit the disk, as far as I heard.

7Rain7 11.11.21

Sanchez Ramirez
And low temperatures are not good for the disk, as far as I heard.
You heard the bullshit. I have the usual hards from 25 to 30C in the load. Hardam just above 40 is not ice, especially the high temperature is not liked by WD-shniki. 50+ will generally die quickly, if it is not black metal and velociraptor. My SDR never rises above 27C.

A

Sanchez Ramirez
Yeah, now I get it. The computer has been working for several hours, and now the temperature of the old HDD is 37 ° C, and the new one is 46 ° C, at a room temperature of 19 ° C. Prior to this, the temperature of the screws was 4–6 ° C higher at a room temperature of 22 ° C. It turns out that the efficiency of the broken fan was zero and it even had a negative impact.

P
Porsche911GT3RS 11.11.21

I had something like that 10 years ago)))) oh nostalgia! Suddenly, not with how the babayka will win from the systematic, then I gave him a yulina from his feet, and he almost always fell silent the first time, although I bent the lid, but I taught the bastard a lesson.

O
OlololKing 11.11.21

Fade Baker
37 is fine, but 46 is no longer desirable ..

O
OlololKing 11.11.21

Fade Baker
well, first in the case, rearrange it somewhere in front of the cooler for blowing .. the screw shouldn't be so hot .. according to reviews, the cooling is not very good .. also somehow I wanted this but changed my mind

S
Sanchez ramirez 11.11.21

Yes, on the front panel 120, put the valve on the blower and that's it, all the disks will blow and the card will also get it.

M
MelShlemming 11.11.21

They are demons. Run for the shotgun. Doom will start soon in your house.

A

Sanchez Ramirez
I have a cramped body (it feels like they used to construct everything through the ass, I have it since 2008), so this, unfortunately, is impossible. I would have put it this way for a long time, because I want to cool the components for a long time. The processor in GTA V heats up to 70-73 ° C, and I think this is not a very acceptable temperature. It's dumb to realize that you have such a hot piece of iron in your case.

S
Sanchez ramirez 11.11.21

Yes, 70 for a processor is a lot. Then I would have looked at the case more spacious.