3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
K
Konstantin Kuplensky 11.11.21 09:36 pm

Desktop PC Upgrade

I have been thinking for a long time to upgrade my desktop, I would like to know who will advise what on the budget in the region of ~ 35k
At the moment I have a
CPU - Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard - P8P67 EVO
GPU - ASUS GTX 760 (I also don’t want to change it because I don’t have enough money and this is still normal will serve)
RAM - 10 GB
(for HDD, monitor, mice, keyboard, headsets, blocks, cooling, the upgrade is not needed)

I thought something like this to upgrade
Motherboard Asus Z170-P
Intel Core i5 - 6600K
Kingston KVR21N15D8_8 (1 bar so far)

How to read it's okay or still it doesn't make sense to upgrade to Skylake and DDR4
Maybe try Devil's Canyon or that's it (after all, after 1.5 years it will be exhausted)
and DDR4 with Skylake is it necessary? or take Skylake and DDR3 ???

I hope you have good and clear answers. Thanks :)
24 Comments
Sort by:
M
MunchkiN 616 11.11.21

I think you need to warm up the processor to a boil and take 970 for this money.
in this computer, the weak point at the moment is the video card. I did not use i5 yaba in the near future for 3-4 years.
new generation processors with ddr3 make no sense to take because there is a bad motherboard.

B
Belomorkanal 11.11.21

Konstantin Kuplensky
You should not upgrade anything without replacing the video card, since the 760 will soon become irrelevant. Well, if you still change the video card to a top-end one, then, of course, you need to start from the platform, because a video card is a more "consumable" element of the system. video cards are becoming irrelevant faster than CPUs. I would advise you not to skimp and immediately take the i7 with an unlocked multiplier on skylake for the sake of hypertrading (there is none on the i5), since future toys will most likely be optimized for multithreaded computing, in which the i7 is head and shoulders above the i5 due to hypertrading. And, of course, you need to take DDR4 right away, because normal 1151 motherboards on the Z chipset do not support DDR3. It would be best to have 2 8GB strips, for 16GB of RAM in dual channel mode. After the phased assembly of the platform, it will be possible to change the 760 to anything top-end in the future, for example, a hypothetical GTX 1080 or R9 490X. You can, of course, consider such an option as the already released 980ti, it already depends on future prices for it.
In general, I assembled a PC in parts for six months, first a power supply unit with a margin, then a CPU, followed by a motherboard with an operating system, a video card in a month, a monitor a little later, and an SSD in two months. If I bought everything at once, it would have gone over 100k, with the old exchange rate 35-40r per dollar. And right now, it's even scary to imagine how much it will cost.
Well, if replacing the platform with an i7 skylake does not work out for the money, then don't even think about any haswells and canyons, since it will not be much cheaper. Here it is better to use the advice above: overclock the CPU to the limit and buy a GTX 970 or R9 390 (for the sake of 8GB), the CPU will not reveal more powerful video cards.

n
nikita2112 11.11.21

With such a budget, it is better to change only the vidyuhu.

n
nickSIA 11.11.21

nikita2112
I agree with you.

Konstantin Kuplensky
I have "almost" exactly the same system. I made it easier, replaced my ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II 2Gb with an MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and that's it. You don't need to change anything other than the video card! Everything works fine in 1920x1080p. My system: i5-2550K / 8Gb / GTX 970 / 650W / Win 10.

K
Konstantin Kuplensky 11.11.21

Belomorkanal
I like your advice. If I still buy a Skylake i7 with K and a motherboard on the Z chipset, it is still possible to live with a GTX 760 before I save up for a hypothetical GTX 1080 or some kind of GTX 980 demanding games (although I'm not so bad and I live with a GTX 760 and don't complain much and play highly demanding games (at least the same shooters)). After all, you have a collection in parts, but I'm not the same terrible and already dead video card

B
Belomorkanal 11.11.21

Konstantin Kuplensky
Of course, it will be possible to live for several months from 760, while the platform is being assembled. And then you look and the Pascal will arrive in time, but it already depends on the prices, if they are inadequate, then it would be better to take the top on Maxwell in the form of 980ti.
And about overclocking - you need to manually increase the sprint, I can't say anything concrete, since each CPU has its own individual approach to overclocking, moreover, it strongly depends on the quality of the CPU feed on the mat. board. So here you have to achieve results by trial and error, I think that on the water your CPU will go to 4.5 GHz with proper overclocking. My 4770K takes 4.5 in the air without any problems, but with prolonged load it still throttles at 70 Celsius, but this is already a lack of heat dissipation.

K

Belomorkanal,
I just looked at the prices (yes, of course, at first the jaw dropped) 980 ti is just worth my budget. To be honest, I think that a hypothetical GTX 1070 or 80 or Pascal would be enough for my eyes, so it's easier to start with the motherboard and processor. while my 760 still somehow survives (I'm not complaining about it, and Nvidia, with the help of its new Game Driver, is able to optimize more or less auto-settings for the game)

and then I will assemble Skylake and the motherboard with RAM, little by little money will accumulate to the video card (fortunately, they they are still piling up (pah-pah))

Okay, now the people will still listen to someone who will say something else

B
Belomorkanal 11.11.21

Konstantin Kuplensky It's
not just "easier" to start with the CPU and the motherboard, it's more correct in every sense. And the people who have enough knowledge and experience to give really good advice on assembling system engineers (a few percent of the total mass of visitors to the PG) will say the same thing.

w
warp 37 11.11.21

There is no point in changing the processor.

d
danilukHF 11.11.21

Konstantin Kuplensky,
you better take vidyuhu, THAT you want to change the FPS won't add, but from vidyakhi much more efficiency)

B
Brotello 11.11.21

I am missing 6600K to reveal the entire GTX970 graphics card. Writes your power is limited by the processor, compared and definitely not enough. Change the vidyuhu, add operatives, leave the processor for now.

B
Belomorkanal 11.11.21

Konstantin Kuplensky
You see the "tips" above? They do not know what exactly you need (in general, you yourself did not know this until I indicated the right direction) and advise based only on the topic header. We have already discussed everything with you.
PS I think that the i7 on skylake thanks to hypertrading will remain relevant for several generations of video cards, that is, by the time it becomes irrelevant, you will probably have already changed the "hypothetical" GTX1080 to something more "hypothetical". But at the expense of i5, I can not say this, since I doubt that it will remain relevant for so long.

n
nickSIA 11.11.21

Brotello
Who writes? Can you provide evidence? I can provide that my i5-2550K fully discloses the GTX 970.
Spoiler

d
danilukHF 11.11.21

Konstantin Kuplensky
after vidyuhi, in general, you can buy the rest

S
Sergey Ivanov 11.11.21

970 / R9 390 and that's it

B
Belomorkanal 11.11.21

danilukHF
"after the vidyuhi, in general, you will buy the rest"
Bad advice. Very bad. We read my posts above and delve into the essence.

K

Belomorkanal
about the more hypothetical is also true. until I save up maybe some kind of GTX 1170 or GTX 1180 will be released

D
Dimkinpark 11.11.21

Konstantin Kuplensky
I know people who are sitting with two GTX 980 TIs on a core i5 2500k (of course overclocked to 4.8 Hz), so it's better to buy a GTX 980 for 35 and overclock your Core i5 to 4.5. I do not advise you to switch to skylack, as it does not have many advantages (IN GAMES) over sandik.

K

Okay, let's say I only take the GTX 980, then the question is which model do you recommend (from the manufacturer), what frequencies?

B
Brotello 11.11.21

nickSIA
Easy, use the test from Valv, then translate it into Russian, it clearly says that your GPU is limited by your CPU. And it is interesting that some do not write, but my 6600K writes that there is not enough power, even with overclocking to 4.4 XD