3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
D
Deserter of Darkness 27.12.20 09:57 am

Localizations: Fallout from 1C 2008 and from Fargus 1997 (Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game)

And so at the end of February this year, the localization of the first Fallout from 1C came out - I bought it for 170r.

In general, the localization from 1C would pass for almost decent, if only not to compare with the pirated translation from Fargus (full version) of the end of 1997 and of course the original.

Let's start a descriptive comparison of these "types of localizations":

Fargus December 1997. Revival of the
Advantage: a very complete and correct translation of text and interface, the compatibility with DOS and DOS emulators is preserved; relatively low glitchiness on the full version. This translation retains 90% of the original meaning.

Disadvantages: incomplete voice acting of "talking heads", some liberties of translation, the button does not work - ask about what?
Version glitches: a bug with a computer at a military base, incorrect display of weight in the inventory. treatment - http://www.fallout.ru/fallout/files/f1_rus_fix.zip

1C version of Fallout February 2008
Advantages: full voice acting of "talking heads" including the Overlord.

Disadvantages: just a surprisingly distorted translation, 2/3 of machine translation, and the rest was naturally translated by people with a sore head - only 70% of the initial meaning was preserved. Also, for example, the voice acting of the Overseer has become worse compared to the Fargus version. The 1C version is also not without a gag. Button - ask what? - again for some reason does not work well. The game has become incompatible with DOS and DOSBox emulators. Incompatible with previous mods for the Russian version.
Version glitches: it is often impossible to create and launch a game through a shortcut, a glitch with a black screen every 15 minutes, often crashes, there may be problems with saves, a glitch with a white bar at the bottom of the screen is possible. Treatment: TeamX fan patches have been released.

For clarity, here is just one quote from 1C and Fargus.

The file master.dat /dialog/TOGGLE.MSG:

{101} {} {The toggle switch looks like an on / off transmitter of some sort.}

For 1C:
{101} {} {??? Button switch resembles on / off a transmitter of some kind.} <<< insanity :).

at Fargus:
{101} {} {This switch appears to be an on and off type signal transmitter.} well, correct :).

And the sea of ​​small inconspicuous clumsiness - in any long phrase in the 1C version, a semantic error. There are notes like - ???
In general, the translation of the first Foul 1C is much worse than the 1C localization of Fallout 2, even worse than the pirated translation. I have a glitch in black.
59 Comments
Sort by:
C
Carbon 27.12.20

original english version ftw

5ehtiP 27.12.20

a glitch with a black screen every 15 minutes, often crashes, there may be problems with saves, a glitch with a white bar at the bottom of the screen is possible. There is no treatment yet.
Exactly! And this is already starting to infuriate ..

C
Clonears 27.12.20

I join the opinion that the translation from 1C is so-so. And it's better not to minimize the game in the tray))))))))))))

D
Deserter of Darkness 27.12.20

There were released then versions of fan patches for the 1C version, which partially correct game bugs, and localization bugs - patches 1.2 and 1.3.3, it's all on the TeamX website.

Soon 1C will release a DVD collection with loHalized Fallouts (F1, F2 and FT) for 440r. , but in the regions the price can exceed all 550 rubles.
So there is a desire to buy?

b
budazzzlll 27.12.20

Thank you very much for fixing bugs, I will finally make it to the end ...

M
Mordrag 27.12.20

Fargus has a sooooo buggy version, and + 1C - no bugs. And I did not notice the machine translation, although I replayed it several times. Fargus on new machines is very difficult to start.

D

Patches for all versions are here http://www.teamx.ru/rus/files/f1patch.shtml. I recommend installing patch 1.2 without fail on all versions, patch 1.3.3 of your choice, because he himself can disrupt the gameplay in some places, and especially on the original version.

As for the versions: the original and old versions of Fargus with a PodDOS installer may fail when installed on new machines.

And all the new versions that already have a Windows installer - version from 1C, pirated DVD compilations with translation from Fargus and collection DVD with the original US version, are installed and run equally well on new machines.

The 1C version has increased glitchiness due to the changed type of text encoding, which is sometimes not recognized by the game engine, and partially due to the root-cut DOS component from the EXE file, which apparently causes a white bar at the bottom of the screen, and aggravates the glitch with dimming.

In the 1C version, a significant part of machine translation, and with logical errors.
Here, for comparison, the lines from the original, from the translation from 1C and the translation from Fargus:

From master.dat: JON.MSG, BITSBOB.MSG, HHOOKER.MSG, JASMINE.MSG, SETH.MSG, ARADESH.MSG, AIRGRD.MSG, etc.

ENG {112} {} {Have you been through the mountains west of here?}
headlights {112} {} {Have you climbed the western mountains?}
1C {112} {} {You crossed the mountain range?} ---------- (in the 1C version they forgot about the "west", and apparently the type of time in English was incorrectly identified - a complete loss of meaning in the dialogue with Aradesh )

ENG {111} {} {Halt! What is your business here, 'child'.}
Headlights {111} {} {Stop! What do you want here, "baby".}
1C {111} {} {Stop! What the hell are you doing here, little one?}

ENG {189} {} {I guess I was rude. Have a nice day ...}
headlights {189} {} {I think I was rude. Happily. ... .}
1C {189} {} {Yes, I was probably wrong. Have a nice day ...} ---- (the original meaning of the phrase is completely lost)

ENG {178} {} {Anyone else?}
Headlights {178} {} {Anyone else?}
1C {178} {} { What else -what?} ------- (purely PROMT glitch !!!!)

ENG {102} {} {Hello, stranger. You look like you're new here. What's your name?}
Headlights {102} {} {Hello stranger. It looks like you are here recently. What's your name?}
1C {102} {} {Great buddy. It looks like this is your first time here. What's your name?}

ENG {151} {} {There's a lot more going on here than I want to know about. I'll be going, now.}
Headlights {151} {} {Great things are going on all around, and I don't know anything about them. I'm going to leave, don't hold me back.}
1C {151} {} {There are a lot of things I could do here. I'll probably go.} ------ (I managed to distort and cut the phrase surprisingly much)

ENG {112} {} {You learn to be careful out here. So what are you doing here?}
Headlights {112} {} {Local life teaches you to be careful. So what are you doing here?}
1C {112} {} {Learn to be careful here. So what are you doing here?}

ENG {300} {} {Thank Dharma you're here wanderer. My girl. ... ... uh, Tandi, Aradesh's daughter, has been kidnapped. We believe the raiders have her.}

Headlights {300} {} {Thanks to the Dharma who brought you, stranger. My girlfriend ... uh ... that is, Tandi, daughter of Aradesh, was stolen. We think this is the work of the raiders.}

1C {300} {} {Thank the Dharma for being here, stranger. My girlfriend ... well ... Tandi, daughter of Aradesh, has been kidnapped. We think the hijackers did it.} --- (semantic mistake - it is not the hero who should thank the dharma, but the speaker thanks the dharma for the hero's deign to appear.)

D

Another comparison of Fallout translations, maybe some fun:

from master.dat /dialog/ABEL.MSG, ADYTOWNR.MSG, KILLIAN.MSG, etc. :

ABEL.MSG:
ENG {108} {} {I'm gonna kick yer ass if you say that again!}
Headlights {108} {} {I'll fuck you in the ass if you say that again!}
1C {108 } {} {Don't you dare talk to me like that!} ------------------------ (not only "castrated" translation of the curse, but also ignoring the direct threat attacks)

AIRGRD.MSG:
ENG {124} {} {A true follower of the Master would have that knowledge. You are an intruder!}
Headlights {124} {} {A true follower of the Overlord would have this knowledge. You rub yourself into trust!}
1C {124} {} {Whoever honors the Creator should know this. You're tricking into getting in here!} -------------- (follower nAsileli's word)

ENG {119} {} {I sense the untruth behind your words. You will not be allowed in. This I promise you ...}
headlights {119} {} {I can sense the lies in your words. They won't let you in. I promise you that.}
1C {119} {} {I think you're lying. I will not miss you. No way.} ---------- (trimmed down to a minimum of machine translation adjustments)

ALAN.MSG:
ENG {110} {} {Oh, well, I mostly study philosophy and stuff. I mean, if we're going to bring about peace, then we need a good grounding for it, right?}
Headlights {110} {} {Okay, I mainly study philosophy and matter. I think if we're going to come to peace, then we need a good foundation for that, don't we?}
1C {110} {} {Oh, I study philosophy and other sciences. You need to build the world on a solid foundation, do you understand?} ---------- (the phrase is cut off by machine translation, until the meaning is severely distorted)

ENG {123} {} {No way. I hear that they're all freaks. I wouldn't want to talk to them.}
Headlights {123} {} {No idea. I've heard that they are all eccentric. I wouldn't want to talk to them.}
1C {123} {} {No, no. They say they are all crazy. I wouldn't talk to them.} ------- ("no way" is not translated correctly, they forgot about "i hear that")

ALEX.MSG:
ENG {100} {} {You see: Alex, the night watch Regulator.}
{100} {} {You see: Alex, the night watch Regulator.}
1C {100} {} {You see Alex, the Regulator. He's on night watch.}

ENG {111} {} {Get out of my face, John Law.
headlights {111} {} Get out of sight, John Lowe.}
1C {111} {} {Get out of sight! To me too, honest one ...} -------- (

o_0 ) ALYA.MSG:
ENG {118} {} {We give them the most important thing possible. We give their dreary lives excitement.}
Headlights {118} {} We are doing perhaps the most important thing. We make their dreary lives exciting.}
1C {118} {} {We give them the most valuable - we diversify their lives.} ----------- (again, the phrase is cut to a minimum)

ADYTOWNR.MSG:
ENG {105} {} {I'd get back to the Hub, if I were you.}
Headlights {105} {} {If I were you, I would return to the Hub.}
1C {105} {} {I advise you to return to the Hub.}

CRVNDRVR.MSG
ENG {160} {} {Uh, yeah. This is hard and dirty work! We risk our lives for those in less fortunate places.}
Headlights {160} {} {Oh, yes. This is hard and dirty work! We risk our lives in less fortunate places.}
1C {160} {} {Yes, that's for sure. The work is difficult and dangerous! We risk our lives for the sake of those who are really bad.} ----- (the head of the 1C employees is bad)

and in the conclusion from KILLIAN.MSG:

ENG {281} {} {I'd like to take a look at traveling gear.}
headlights {281} {} {I'd like to look at travel gear.}
1C {281} {} {??? I would like to look at travel gear.} --------- - (Simply out of competition! The auto-translator program did not cope with the translation and issued a mark "???" in front of the phrase)

Everything is simple - in the translation version from 1C 80% of machine translation of average quality :(

N
Nuarlathotep 27.12.20

Comrades, if there is still someone left here, please lay out the file for Foul ...

V
Volart 27.12.20

Patch 1.2 contains an "executable" they are here for each version: http://www.teamx.ru/rus/files/f1patch.shtml

Better just to patch to 1.2.

Or what is needed specifically - a disk image? What is the actual problem? Support is mainly on the forum site http://www.fallout.ru.

V
Volart 27.12.20

Right now I'm replaying the first fallout translated from 1C ... - it was very funny when the hero turned to one NPC-man in the feminine gender. )

In general, I met some of those blunders that are discussed above. Annoying is the idiotic translation of people's names from English into Russian - a man in a robe with the name "Whipping", sounds good? Or the name "Razor"? - The result of the PROMT work, including the "burial ground" as the name of the inhabited city (not Necropolis).
We do not call New York New York, and George W. Bush is George Bush. People's names are never translated, including other proper names.

Natural SUPERIOR, quotes from Fallout translated from 1C even in an example article:

---------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ----------------
1C:

No way licensed translation of the first part of the Fallout game . - No no.
Anyone else? - Anything else?
He Harry's boss - Harry is our senior.
I guess I was rude - Yes, I was probably wrong.
Consider yourself a friend of the Raiders - Consider yourself a raider.
You're not getting in this door - you are not allowed through this door.
We're hardly a gang - We're not a gang.
I'd like to take a look at traveling gear - I'd like to take a look at the traveling gear. (true: I'd like to look at travel gear).
The toggle switch looks like an on / off transmitter of some sort - The toggle switch looks like an on / off transmitter of some kind. (By the way, this is Promt!)

Translation of the second part of the Fallout game, made by 1C:
You see a little rugrat - you see a little rug-rat. (Although there is a kid running down Redding Street)
------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------- --------------

PS: Glitches also get it: the screen dimmed every 40-60 seconds, I installed patch 1.2, the screen dimming began to occur only once every half hour, and the white bar at the bottom disappeared. Sometimes there is a glitch with unreadable text in the pip-boy and some dialogues, only restarting the game helps, although this is not the case on the old Russian version.

S
Shifroval 27.12.20

Dear ... um ... diggers? :))

I'd love to see a similar comparison of F2 from Fargus and 1C.
Perhaps this is not quite the forum (here F1), but still.

Now it is clear that the Soviets have done a lot with the translation ...
Yes, they generally violated the translation rules. Firstly, the names of cities / streets / newspapers / proper names are NOT subject to translation. And they translated. Boniyard-Burial Ground, the most striking example. Boniyard he will be Boniyard even in Chinese.
We do not translate the Empire State Building, or The Times ...

The same crap with medicines. Psycho, for example. What the fuck is the sun ??! The sun baked their heads themselves ...
Jet there too. Yes, ONE phrase does not sound in Russian (there is something like: -Do you want to fly a little? -What, on an airplane? -Yes, on a jet). Something like this.
But they are almost right about the GECK. By the way, Levcorp translated it as KOSOGOR, which is a brilliant allusion, but preserved in Russian speech.

Chosen One: Have you heard anything about KOSOGOR?
Chel: Yes, geckos love to nest on slopes ...

An alternative? She is the most. But the GECK, though not entirely true, has retained the original idea (gecko-GECK).

By the way, I will offer my own translation of GEKK. CityEdemCompactSet.

In general, 1C sat down in a puddle, and its own. They promised quality, but got nothing.
Partly because Fargus NEVER used promt to translate games.
They ordered a translation for a person / several and then received a MANUALLY translated text.
And there the author can add his own zest, which is also in Fargus.
The translation of the inscriptions on the graves into F2 is already a huge step forward! The essence is saved!
Examples:

"The children of Israel asked for bread, and the Lord sent them manna; the old clerk Wallace asked for a wife, and the devil sent him Anna."
"Poor Jonathan Braz lies here, he wanted to hit the brake, but he got on the gas."
"Butch is lying here, he fired quickly, but slowly pulled out the barrel."
"Lester Moore lies here with four holes, each with a forty-fourth gauge."
"O traveler, if someone needs money - here is Penny, 4 feet deep."
"In this grave lies the lonely Jonathan Violin, who played out of tune."
"Our Anna is resting here, having accepted death from a banana. It was not the unfortunate fruit that I ruined - the boot that I stepped on the skin."
"Owen Moore left us, and no more moore moore."
"In memory of Little Chris the Coffin. There is a Coffin, laid in a coffin, A coffin in a coffin, like a nesting doll. Although the outer coffin is superbly kind, inside it is a little cheesy."
"Under the cover of sod and thistle lies the body of the unfortunate John Pea. He is not here, there is only a pod: Peas in paradise are good, old man."
"Jughead - King of the World of Queen Anti-aircraft Guns"
"Fu Der Mo. May God have mercy on his name."

Well, you understand, in general ...

And yet, I would like to see comparisons of F2 from Fargus and 1C, I wonder what they screwed up there ...

D

Yes, for a long time I watched the translation of the second fallout from 1C.

It is easy to do this:

First, it extracts from .msg files from master.dat from text / english / dialog / or other files in .msg format by editors: http://teamx.mhost.ru/node/180, http: // teamx .mhost.ru / node / 177, http://teamx.mhost.ru/node/173, or any other dat-editors for Fallout2.

But to unpack the master.dat of the first fallout, a different type of editor is required: http://teamx.mhost.ru/node/183

To view the extracted .msg files, use http://teamx.mhost.ru/node/92 and open .msg files through EditorMSG.exe (sometimes it does not work correctly in Russian text, confusing the letters X with Ё, i.e. in the word Hub reads as Ёab). Or use any other .msg file editor.

Here the volume of the text is simply enormous, in the first fallout I looked through only a tenth of the volume of the text, and revealed this clumsy. In the second fallout, the volume of the text is more than three times, and I personally did not reveal gross errors.

In general, the translation of Fallout2 from 1C, in contrast to their translation of the first fallout, is quite correct - obvious mistakes are not striking here. There are some heavily truncated phrases as a result of editing machine translation, but this is not particularly significant. There are, of course, well-known clumsy things like the skill "NATURALIST" or "Generator of Eden Compact" and "Sun", etc.

Volart writes:
>>>>>>>>> Translation of the second part of the Fallout game, made by 1C:
You see a little rugrat - You see a small carpet rat. (Although there's a kid running down Redding Street)

This I naturally did not notice due to the huge volume of the text.

In general, for serious catching of translation clumsy, you have to translate the lines yourself, and with such volumes of text it is almost unrealistic. It doesn't matter if you get a job as a translator.

By the way, the translation of Fallout2 from Fargus, I do not have now, there is only from the Left Corporation, 1C and a rare "nameless" localization.
As soon as I get / download the second foul from Fargus, I'll see it in my spare time.

Anyone who has the required versions can compare the translations himself, this is easy to do. But catching the clumsy translation in a sea of ​​text is quite tedious.

S
Shifroval 27.12.20

Well, I know how to work with msg and dataloggers :))

I was interested in the comparison of translations. Well, since you say that there are no gross mistakes, then okay. But it would still be interesting to see :)) I'll wait until you get Fargus.

By the way, is there a Levkorp translation of F1? It is the 1st, not the 2nd. They say that there is generally a funny translation :)) But I could not find it anywhere ...

A
A NAMELESS HERO 27.12.20

And how can the thread be changed in versions from 1C to Fagrus.

n
nimfetamin 27.12.20

I play translation from Fargus, I like it, although I did not compare it with 1C. The voice acting is incomplete, and the voice in the opening video is not very good.
But such pearls "This is the end, but where is my gun?" - they rule.

G
Govnilov 27.12.20

1C condom what to say, normal localization can not do, all through w * ny! Fargus well done, they did their best. Here is the truth of the actors for the voice acting they do not have normal ... there were no normal.

G
Glebrett 27.12.20

I've played Fargus all my life, this translation has always been my translation. Small flaws are not noticed. And self-willed in translation - Duc it is artistic, it is made with the soul peculiar to the Russian person. With the Fargusian arbitrary rus. a person understands what feelings are transmitted from the characters, which cannot be conveyed by machine translation. Take, for example, an appeal to Maxson: "May I turn to you, Comrade General?" or "I serve the working people!" =)) It is immediately clear who is the commander here, who is the subordinate, and not what 1C has: "can I ask you?" and goodbye and what is it?
Or here's Myron: Fargus spoiled his speech with tons of obscene expressions and swearing (well, by the way, in Fallout the original is, in principle, it's just that there is no swearing in America =)) - you can see right away - the shked rash ** dyay and proud m ** ac. 1C wrote in his mouth the most terrible word (even in capital letters!) "P ** DETS!" and even so in the voice acting the word "Hana" sounded and that's it, Myron speaks somehow soullessly, gray and does not look at all raspy. I am not a supporter of obscenities and do not trudge from the sound of obscene words, but without them you often cannot see what the creator of the film / boarder wanted to convey, etc. I'm not here for a mate, but for a normal translation.
Majorne from Fargus in New Reno: "More of those f ** ks in their f * cking clothes" (something like that, roughly);
The same from 1C: "There would be more women (or women,
Passed 1 time from 1C and I don't want to. Now the current from Fargus or in the original.

X
Xaker 23 27.12.20

but how to learn from fargus or from 1s

M
Mordrag 27.12.20

Xaker 23
View on box