3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
D
Deserter of Darkness 27.12.20 09:57 am

Localizations: Fallout from 1C 2008 and from Fargus 1997 (Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game)

And so at the end of February this year, the localization of the first Fallout from 1C came out - I bought it for 170r.

In general, the localization from 1C would pass for almost decent, if only not to compare with the pirated translation from Fargus (full version) of the end of 1997 and of course the original.

Let's start a descriptive comparison of these "types of localizations":

Fargus December 1997. Revival of the
Advantage: a very complete and correct translation of text and interface, the compatibility with DOS and DOS emulators is preserved; relatively low glitchiness on the full version. This translation retains 90% of the original meaning.

Disadvantages: incomplete voice acting of "talking heads", some liberties of translation, the button does not work - ask about what?
Version glitches: a bug with a computer at a military base, incorrect display of weight in the inventory. treatment - http://www.fallout.ru/fallout/files/f1_rus_fix.zip

1C version of Fallout February 2008
Advantages: full voice acting of "talking heads" including the Overlord.

Disadvantages: just a surprisingly distorted translation, 2/3 of machine translation, and the rest was naturally translated by people with a sore head - only 70% of the initial meaning was preserved. Also, for example, the voice acting of the Overseer has become worse compared to the Fargus version. The 1C version is also not without a gag. Button - ask what? - again for some reason does not work well. The game has become incompatible with DOS and DOSBox emulators. Incompatible with previous mods for the Russian version.
Version glitches: it is often impossible to create and launch a game through a shortcut, a glitch with a black screen every 15 minutes, often crashes, there may be problems with saves, a glitch with a white bar at the bottom of the screen is possible. Treatment: TeamX fan patches have been released.

For clarity, here is just one quote from 1C and Fargus.

The file master.dat /dialog/TOGGLE.MSG:

{101} {} {The toggle switch looks like an on / off transmitter of some sort.}

For 1C:
{101} {} {??? Button switch resembles on / off a transmitter of some kind.} <<< insanity :).

at Fargus:
{101} {} {This switch appears to be an on and off type signal transmitter.} well, correct :).

And the sea of ​​small inconspicuous clumsiness - in any long phrase in the 1C version, a semantic error. There are notes like - ???
In general, the translation of the first Foul 1C is much worse than the 1C localization of Fallout 2, even worse than the pirated translation. I have a glitch in black.
59 Comments
Sort by:
C
Confucius 27.12.20

like this always, 1C, as always, ruined the translation, and the translation from Fargus is gorgeous, but with a couple of glitches (but they are global)

C
Carbon 27.12.20

ENG {151} {} {There's a lot more going on here than I want to know about. I'll be going, now.}
Headlights {151} {} {Great things are going on all around, and I don't know anything about them. I'm going to leave, don't hold me back.}
1C {151} {} {There are a lot of things I could do here. I'll probably go.} ------ (surprisingly much managed to distort and cut the phrase)

Both screwed up, actually.

"no way" is not translated correctly,

and for both.

Yes, I like to recycle old posts :)

ENG {105} {} {I'd get back to the Hub, if I were you.}
Headlights {105} {} {If I were you, I would go back to the Hub. }

IN YOUR PLACE, I would return to the Hub. The translation of this construction is taught at school, abanamat.

In short, both translations are worthless shit, that's the truth.

S
Shifroval 27.12.20

In short, both translations are worthless shit, that's the truth.
Oh, and all translations of books are also shit ... And in general, everything in the world is shit, why

should I be ashamed of it ... I would not say that.
Fargus translated manually (readme would have read them, or something), 1C - promt.
So to speak. At 1C, the basis is promt. Fargus is based on manual translation.
Yes, there and there promt is found, just where it is taken as a basis, it is very difficult to hide it. And where he is as an exception, he is an exception.
That's the difference. Readable text is not necessarily an exact copy of the original design; it is enough to correctly and accurately convey the idea.

Or do you think that having found 1 left phrase from Fagrus, everything, translation is shit, hang everyone ..? Then you need to quarter 1C, and then incinerate and let it go down the wind, following your logic.

The Fargus translation is not more accurate, not better, no.
It is more readable and made taking into account the target audience - Russian-speaking people. Whereas 1C just unified everything, as usual. Plus they cut it. Mat, rude phrases .. length of dialogues ... And added bugs.

C
Carbon 27.12.20

The main task of translation is to convey meaning.

Fargus cannot cope with this task.

Conclusion?

X
Xaker 23 27.12.20

That is, you want to say that they have a gallows translation?

C
Carbon 27.12.20

You're a quick-witted guy!

M
Mordrag 27.12.20

All fans of the Fargus translation have two or three phrases from the 1C translation, which are not written correctly. In contrast to them, they put more or less correctly translated phrases from Fargus. All. The arguments are over. And the fact that in general the translation of Fargus is a rare shit they forget =) Uh, comrades ...

C
Carbon 27.12.20

Everything from poor language skills and lisping nostalgia. Such a fanatic will also describe how the memories of phrases from this trashy translation brightened his longing on long winter evenings. Well, or some other nonsense like that.

M
Mordrag 27.12.20

Of course, habit is an important factor, but it should not be decisive ...
But in general - to each his own. Only now I don’t like it when they poke at me: Here are three typos for the whole game, but here are four !!! 11dyn Don't you understand that playing the second variant is not possible !!!!

S
Shifroval 27.12.20

Such a fanatic will also describe how the memories of phrases from this trashy translation brightened his melancholy on long winter evenings. Well, or some other nonsense like that.
Oha. I'll write ... More precisely, I already wrote.
Many phrases from the Falls have become for me actually memes ...
"City of hard asses", "What will you need?" and so forth ...

And I chronically cannot stand 1C. You can't go far with their prompts ...
As a translator, I see errors very clearly.

And as for
Fargus, he cannot cope with this task.

Conclusion?
Replay Fargus. Replay carefully.
I cannot stand heretics. I burn them.

Anything to object?
Write crooked phrases from the Fargus datnik, and do not throw shit.

t
technician-san 27.12.20

Fargus ... a
slightly better translation, although in some places - sheer nonsense.

"City of hard ass", "What do you need?" and so on ...
they probably smoked weed when they wrote this;)

C
Carbon 27.12.20

Anything to object?
Write crooked phrases from the Fargus datnik, and do not throw shit.

Take the trouble to use the mouse wheel and scroll the posts page ten higher.

Replay Fargus. Replay carefully.

I'd rather go into a hole full of scorpions than do this shit translation.

Many phrases from the Falls have become for me actually memes ...

Your deepest personal experiences, generated by the stupid translation of the pirate office, do not affect its quality in any way, alas ...

S
Shifroval 27.12.20

Oh, one more! (c)

Take the trouble to work with the mouse wheel and scroll the page of posts ten higher.
Take the trouble to work your brains, open the datalogger and pull out phrases.
I've already seen everything above. In addition, this is an incomplete copy-paste from the topic on fallout.ru

So. Play Fargus first, and then speak.
No fact - no conversation.
And
I'd rather go into a pit full of scorpions than put this shit translation.
smacks of shkololo and their fear of English letters.
Know, you're just afraid to play Fagrus. That's all.
Or you simply do not want to admit that you are wrong, you have not seen both options, and you just say the jagged "burn Fagrus because you burn it."
To be able to evaluate a thing, you need to see it not only in 1 version.
And you saw in one. And what can I say? Nothing, nuff said. Buy Mosk, for starters.

Your deepest personal experiences, generated by the stupid translation of the pirate office, do not affect its quality in any way, alas ...
Actually, "The City of Hard Asses" and "What You Will Need" are the correct translation.
At the moment I have no time to look for originals in dataloggers, but I once checked this case ...
Cassidy says the first phrase when we come to Vault City, and the second is Sulik's greeting when you start a conversation with him.

I've seen both translations. And for a very long time ...

And yes, go through the Temko here, there all the bloopers are described
http://fforum.kochegarov.com/index.php?showtopic=17011&hl=
http://fforum.kochegarov.com/index.php?showtopic=19418&hl=
http://fforum.kochegarov.com/index.php? showtopic = 12489 & hl =
http://fforum.kochegarov.com/index.php?showtopic=7520&hl=

And yet, yes, I watched datalogs WITHOUT patches.
And there were not so many mistakes ... there were a lot of them. Over 9000, I assure you.
Be able to distinguish between factual errors from grammatical and semantic ones.
1ass has a lot of semantic errors, while Fargus has a lot of factual ones. The difference is that the factual error is just not an entirely accurate interpretation of the original, but by which you can understand its meaning, because the context will not be thrown out.
And semantic is when you write something completely different instead of one phrase.
There are examples above, see for yourself.

Now the new generation has gone ... give them everything in the best possible way ... and turn up their nose from the old ... From history! That's all your gratitude to the past. Thanks to Fargus, we played Fall in almost a year, and 1ass only recently translated all this. At the same time, they profiled, because the Orthodox translation of Fargus has become native to 95% of fans (some are already over 30), and the new vyser 1ass shrinks from the number of errors and violations of translation rules.
Well, the Newfagi are happy about that. They don’t want to know how it really was.
You too.

In addition, 1ass has pestered the Falls with its bugs, such as a black screen and a white bar at the bottom. Well, esessno, in Russia mate is prohibited, of course.

C
Carbon 27.12.20

Oh, cool. A sheet overflowing with splashing saliva, speculation about my modest person and two-handed gavnasleng. Where do you all come from?

Take the trouble to work your brains, open the datalogger and pull out phrases.
I've already seen everything above. In addition, this is an incomplete copy-paste from the topic on fallout.ru

Be able to distinguish between factual errors from grammatical and semantic ones.

Translation of the sentence There's a lot more going on here than I want to know about. how great things are happening around, but I know nothing about them. - this is an obvious semantic error. Do you get it? If not, I recommend not to throw loud words like "I am a translator and I know everything."

Now the new generation has gone ... give them everything in the best possible way ... and turn up their nose from the old ... From history! That's all your gratitude to the past.

This is what happens to young men who are struck by the thought of their own adulthood. An individual of 20 years old, but he still goes there - to find fault with the "new generation" (of which he is, btw)

M
Mordrag 27.12.20

ENG {151} {} {There's a lot more going on here than I want to know about. I'll be going, now.}
Headlights {151} {} {Great things are going on all around, and I don't know anything about them. I'm going to leave, don't hold me back.}
1C {151} {} {There are a lot of things I could do here. I think I'll go.} ------ (surprisingly strongly managed to distort and cut the phrase)
And who here sobsno correctly translated? : D In my opinion, 1C translated no worse, if not better, than Fargus.

Well, the Newfagi are happy about that.
OMFG, and only ...

S
Shifroval 27.12.20

A sheet overflowing with splashing saliva, speculation about my modest person and two-handed gavnasleng. Where do you all come from?

Where am I from? From Perm, heh. And I took it from my mother (it's time to already know where people come from). Expected more?
And yet, yes, I have never been to two or fourchane. What have I forgotten there?

He who has eyes, let him see, won't he?
I saw it at the time when the topics just appeared (I was sitting with the modem then, 215r for 10 hours). And you?

this is a clear semantic error. Do you get it?
Well, here the meaning of Fargus is preserved. Like, there are so many things around, but I am sitting around.
1C does not have this either ... 1C has the point in that there are a lot of things around that I would like to do. In the original, the meaning is that the hero complains, they say, "life passes me by."

If not, I recommend not to throw loud words like "I am a translator and I know everything."
By my 2nd education I am a translator and interpreter in the field of professional communication.
When I graduate from university, I will have a second diploma.

An individual aged 20 years
Fail. But in general ... almost it is.
On the Internet, age is not an indicator. The indicator is a matter, not a word.

And who here sobsno correctly translated?
Honestly - "both are good" as gritsa. I don't like both. For 1C, the first offer is overwhelmed, for Fargus it is still quite good, but I don't like the second one.

More or less the correct version is this:

There is so much going on around here, much more than I would like to know. I'll probably [probably] go.

But I'm not sure about the connection between lot more going on and than I want to know.
Here either it means that more is happening than the Persian wants (he is simply not interested in this), or more than he has time to learn, that is, he is overwhelmed by events.
For a complete picture, context is needed ... Then I'll tell you which of the options will be better here.

And yes.
The problem with localizers is that they translate without seeing the game.
And they are voiced without seeing the game. Blindly. That is why heaps of pearls and fail often occur. Whereas the original is written and voiced immediately after getting acquainted with the context of the situation.

C
Carbon 27.12.20

Oh, how many emotions the little man has not in the business.

In the original, the meaning is that the hero complains, they say, "life passes me by."

Get out of the profession.

By my 2nd education I am a translator in the field of professional communication.

Say the name of the university - I will know where mediocre translators have a nest. Point bombing against crowds is very effective!

S
Shifroval 27.12.20

Get out of the profession.
Thank you. Flattered.
Do you have anything to say about the case or just a trololo?

Or do you think I'm god?
And yes, who are the quotation marks for? Or do you still not understand what I wanted to say with this phrase?
And yet, yes, you did not look at the translation at the bottom of the post. And a postscript to it too ...
Lazy boy, don't be so shy ...

Tell the name of the university - I will know where the mediocre translators have a nest. Point bombing against crowds is very effective!
In the profile.
In general, the department of linguistics and something else at PSTU.
Perm State Technical University.
My main specialty is a chemical technologist, TNV, technology of inorganic substances. There is still a little left to finish my studies ... I went to English, because I have been doing it since kindergarten ... Then 11 grades of school ... and here's a university. Don't underesimate me. Or you are a new Pain?

And who are you yourself?
Philologist? Linguist? Ahh ... nobody ... I see. Then I think .. he also knows something .. cool!
I didn’t think ..

But in general, comrade fat windbag, balabolny troll, I hasten to hear YOUR "correct" option. And there's no food here, forget it.
Well, come on, translate, and I'll see.
There is no need to throw shit here. Or is that the only thing you can do?
Esessno, you don't know how, that's why you only speak. These are the Internet ... you are nobody here without proof. Do, or do you.

C
Carbon 27.12.20

After reading this, sorry, vyser, all that remains is to offer you to wipe your drooling off the monitor. What do you call it there? And, exactly - "butthert". You have a classic case.

Or you are a new Pain?

One can only guess what meaning our expert put into this phrase. No, I'm not a new Payne, and I'm not a new Pain, except perhaps only in your ass :)

And yet, yes, you have not looked at the translation at the bottom of the post. And a postscript to it too ...

I laughed at the postscript - pearls of the form "he is overloaded with events" show your degree of literary language skills.

In general, comrade fat windbag, balabolny troll, I hasten to hear YOUR "correct" version.

You can speak to me.

The most correct option is just something about "there are many more things going on here than I would like to know." I don’t argue with that, by the way.

But to say that the meaning of such a phrase is equivalent to the fact that the hero complains, they say, "life passes me by." is idiocy.

(I leave the rest of the anal part of the post without comment)

S
Shifroval 27.12.20

No, I don't have a butthirt. And why all of a sudden?
Otherwise I would have burst into srach here ... And so classically, demotivator + text.
Prevention.

One can only guess what meaning our expert put into this phrase. No, I'm not a new Payne, and I'm not a new Pain, except perhaps in your ass :)
It's a long story ... Payne ... was such a ... person. No longer there.
The point is that he considered himself a god and wanted to create peace on earth by organizing a world war, giving everyone a certain weapon, using which, people will learn to understand that violence is not an option. This is in brief. As a result, he died from his own idea .. more precisely, its consequences.

I laughed at the postscript - pearls of the form "he is overloaded with events" show your degree of knowledge of the literary language.
Being overwhelmed by events happening = information overload. What's wrong? When a lot of other people's problems and new information are poured on your head (and the Persian has just come to the city, he knows nothing, everything is new, everyone is talking about something ..) - so you will be overwhelmed that you will not want to hear or see anything and nobody.
Mosk collapses, in general.

But to say that the meaning of such a phrase is equivalent to the fact that the hero complains, they say, "life passes me by." is idiocy.
Well, in fact, I wrote a post in the evening, tired and dead for the
umpteenth time ... At first, without thinking (read without a mosk), I rattled off an answer, then I noticed Mordrag's post and answered it, but after turning on the mosk, because it was necessary translate the phrase.
As a result, the top and bottom of the post do not converge :)))
That is, the final version of the translation is still below, and not that thought at the top ...

(I leave the rest of the anal part of the post without comment)
:))))))))))))) I understand (c)