3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
H
HyperXStream 07.01.21 07:37 pm

Game Impression (Black Mesa)

We waited 8 years and finally waited, share our impressions!
68 Comments
Sort by:
D
Djexat666 07.01.21

Jin Kisaragi THESE WORDS DOUBLE PLAY THEN IN SOURCE.

D
Djexat666 07.01.21

IF SO DIFFICULT THEN TURN ON EASY GAME

K
Keks 07.01.21

I didn't like it. Not hooked at all. Boring and monotonous game. Maybe if I had passed hl1, then because of the feeling of nostalgia, the impressions would have been better. Yes, and Last Engineer 2077 is still somewhat right, I think.

d
desigmax 07.01.21

Passed with pleasure. I think many modern games are equal to it (not a mod), and use its gadgets. Pleased with the puzzles, albeit simple ones, but now they don't bother at all. I think HL2 downgraded the first part.

J
JetRanger 07.01.21

I don't even know exactly why, but I didn't like BM, and that's it. I play the original Half-Life often (about once every 3-4 months), and Half-Life 2 too. So BM, in comparison with them, looks somehow faded and sluggish, even if you make allowances for the fact that it is "just" a fancy fan mod. I never made it to the Lambda complex, I just didn't want to continue. Dropped BM and started real Half-Life.

I liked the introduction to BM (detailed ride in the trailer, interesting dialogues from npc, Vance and Kleiner). But then annoying details began to appear.

First, the soundtrack. The music itself is good, but it absolutely doesn't fit the setting. As if Freeman does not make his way through the flocks of dangerous creatures along the gloomy corridors, but peacefully walks along the sunny meadow, with daisies in his hands.

Secondly, ambient. The original CL was full of characteristic sounds, besides there was an echo (from footsteps, from shots, from sounds of reloading, and even from switching on / off the flashlight). In BM, background sounds are either too few, or too quiet.

Third, the execution of opponents. Especially the bullsquid got it: the eyes were red like those of a Vortigaunt and shifted upward like those of an alligator, the tentacles were crooked, and in general the body was somehow shapeless. Houndies have "eyes" of random size, but should be the same, this is a compound eye. Grants have horizontal jaws with flat teeth. The voice acting of the soldiers is horror, people don't say that. The ichthyosaurus animation is not much better than what was in the CL. Only garg and tentacles are good (I never reached the controllers).

Fourthly, the swinging of the weapon in the hands is somehow strange. It seems like a trifle, but always before your eyes. Couldn't do as in Half-Life 2, or what?

Fifthly, "purely old-school dismemberment." From the machine-gun burst, the soldiers burst like ripe watermelons, with fountains of pink jelly. The body parts also look so ridiculous that they are ridiculous. Some kind of Painkiller.

There are a few more quibbles, but the mod, of course, is still good. The problem, IMHO, is that the original is better, and the best is the enemy of the good.

K
Kay Ovald 07.01.21

- Wake up, Mr. Freeman. Half-Life is out, great things await you ... Again.
Geibushka cleverly did it, allowing the fans to release this remake officially, especially since the work has been enormous. This is the same Halfa, only slightly adjusted to modernity. Of course, very relative modernity, but everything is better than it was. And what did they do to Xena? This is my respect, indescribable beauty.
But there are also problems. Bugs, so far, including in scripts, due to which you had to load from autosave. Sudden fierce lags in some places, although before that even in 4k it was played at 165 fps without problems.
Zen was enlarged, and somehow even overkill. Many episodes, especially at the end, should be cut in half. Well, they were too smart with parkour, especially considering the over-ass jumps.
I never really liked the first part and now the impressions are also not the same as from the second part, which is a masterpiece. But at least I remembered the plot, or for the life of me I didn't remember why the Vortigaunts fell in love with Freeman so much.
There is a crack and text (good) and textures (good, but 95%) and sound (monstrous, do not put!).
Overall, a great remake, but once again I made sure that I'm a fan of the second part, not the first.
7.5 / 10

p
pekabir 05.04.21

well, such a thing. the original is much more cheerful in terms of narration, but here they added gags by lengthening the levels. although the graph is not bad, all these polygons with textures look alien in the empty corridors from the original game. in short for an amateur remake

B
BetelgeuseS 07.10.21

Didn't play original Half Life, only Blue Shift. It was interesting to dive into the atmosphere of Black Mesa. At first, everything was fine - beautiful and bright graphics, interesting shootings. But starting from the Zen levels, it started just dumb dr ... h. Clueless repeating puzzles, endless jumps, conveyors, unrealistic difficulty of confrontation with telepathic tadpoles. And finally, the most important thing is an IDIOTIC autosave system, when the game saves at the moment Freeman falls into the abyss. I deleted the game, without finishing playing to the end, a kind of hack-work is felt.