3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
y
yuhan 06.08.21 11:14 pm

Casual games. What are they?

Let's figure out here what kind of casual games we talk about very often and mostly with disdain. Let's talk about their future, about their popularity.

To begin with, I suggest reading the article from Wikipedia. This is not the last resort, but it provides good food for thought.

[url = http: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game [/ url]
65 Comments
Sort by:
v
vodafon 06.08.21

Games that are made under license from film companies.
Spiderman, Shrek, etc ..

A
Artiom 06.08.21

Yes, that very food for thought. But the article contradicts itself in many ways. As for the neglect, it is quite understandable, on the part of "experienced" players it is justified. With what joy it is necessary to love games with a simplified gameplay, not an outstanding picture and in most cases without a plot - the very things that people who have been playing for years have appreciated. The bad thing is that the industry, with its growth, attracts people who were not previously associated with games and, to make it easier for them, it attracts with casual projects, as a result, all outgoing games to one degree or another get these casual features.

A typical example is complexity relief. Will not will, the thought arises - "either I played better earlier, or the games have become easier", since the experience only grows with age [:)], then I tend to the second option.

v
vodafon 06.08.21

[b] SSnake [/ b], I agree.
There is a growing number of casual gamers around the world, and Sony is helping a lot! : evil:

0042 06.08.21

Come on, vodafone. :)
Casuals grow understand.
Vaughn started with Tamagotchi ended with all sorts of Mixes.

A
Artiom 06.08.21

Hmmm, this is a natural process of market growth, which began much earlier than Sony's arrival. IMHO MS and EA have much more accelerated the process of "casualization" of games. In general, it is useless to resist, as I said, this is a natural process and it is easier to adapt the game than to raise the level of the players. On the other hand, I personally don't like it. There are two options for the outcome for "hardcore players": 1) either they humble themselves and accept everything as it is 2) or simply stop playing. By the way, the loss of interest in games for many is precisely because of this, they go according to option number 2.

y
yuhan 06.08.21

The last casual game that I have ever played is BT for DS. Moreover, this game attracted me much more than other titles that I had.

I think that the main criteria of a casual game is its simplicity and accessibility for any person. Most of the games on cell phones, most of the shareware games for the PC. Games on iPods, cameras, etc.

Assigning 50cent, gta, ff, etc. in a row with casual games is not correct. This is for hardcore players only.

S
Spriggan 06.08.21

Each game has its own casual game

v
vodafon 06.08.21

[b] SSnake [/ b], I'm afraid that Nintend will not be overwhelmed there. Otherwise, in principle, this is possible with WII ..

S
Spriggan 06.08.21

[b] vodafon [/ b], [quote]
I'm afraid that Nintend "will not be too busy there.
[/ quote]
That's right. Remember at least Nintendogs

y
yuhan 06.08.21

[b] SSnake [/ b], if the game has super_puper_easy then it doesn't make it casual.
It turns out that any quest becomes casual, because there are no such moments that only an experienced player will pass, but there is a PLOT. Is it just the plot that makes the puzzle suite a hardcore game?

[color = green] [size = 75] Posted after 1 minute 15 seconds: [/ size] [/ color]

[b] Spriggan [/ b] is a game for girls. Just a new market. They are just different from us. They just need something else. It's just not a casual game. She's quite a hardcore girl game: mrgreen:

A
Artiom 06.08.21

[quote name = "yuhan"] The last casual game that fits this definition is BT for DS. Moreover, this game attracted me much stronger than other titles that I had. [/ Quote]

Apparently age or satiety with games in general. This happens.

[quote name = "yuhan"] I think that the main criteria of a casual game is its simplicity and accessibility for any person. Most of the games on cell phones, most of the shareware games for the PC. Games on iPod, cameras, etc. [/ quote]

One of the criteria. Accessibility and simplicity in all respects, including not only in the gameplay, but also in the presentation of the stories, in the elaboration of the game world.

[quote name = "yuhan"] Assigning 50cent, gta, ff, etc. in a row with casual games is not correct. This is for hardcore players only. [/ quote]
I agree, in part. FF and GTA things are not casual, due to the elaboration of the worlds for corrosive players, but the 50cent, which is simpler and focused on a wider segment of the public, including fans of "fifty dollars", is a mod and not completely casual, but it smells strongly of casual ... The whole industry is gradually sliding towards this.

[color = green] [size = 75] Posted after 3 minutes 52 seconds: [/ size] [/ color]

[quote name = "yuhan"] [b] SSnake [/ b], if the game has super_puper_easy then this is her doesn't make it casual.
It turns out that any quest becomes casual, because there are no such moments that only an experienced player will pass, but there is a PLOT. Is it just the plot that makes a set of puzzles a hardcore game? [/ Quote]

As I said, there are several factors. And "simplicity" concerns not only the gameplay, all other aspects too, and the sound, and the plot, and even the controls.

[quote name = "yuhan"]
[b] Spriggan [/ b] is a game for girls. Just a new market. They are just different from us. They just need something else. It's just not a casual game. She is quite a hardcore female game: mrgreen: [/ quote]
Same yay .. I mean Tamagotchi, right side view. All this has already happened, just a new wrapper.

y
yuhan 06.08.21

[quote] One of the criteria. Accessibility and simplicity in all respects, including not only in the gameplay, but also in the presentation of plots, in the elaboration of the game world. [/ Quote]
The most important criterion!

[quote] I agree, in part. FF and GTA things are not casual, due to the elaboration of the worlds for corrosive players, but the 50cent, which is simpler and focused on a wider segment of the public, including fans of "fifty dollars", is a mod and not completely casual, but it smells strongly of casual ... The whole industry is gradually sliding towards this. [/ quote]
50sent is simply impossible to classify as a casual game. there is a brand here, and the brand is not accidentally bought, because

casual - a person who is temporarily or accidentally engaged in any kind of activity (temporary worker, casual customer in a store)

It is very important to understand.

[quote] As I said, there are several factors. And "simplicity" concerns not only the gameplay, all other aspects too, and the sound, and the plot, and even the controls. [/ quote]
So what? Let's consider quests casual?

A
Artiom 06.08.21

[quote] The most important criterion! [/ quote]
I agree, but "simplicity" is different, as I said. It's just that the gameplay, plot, controls, sound, game world. If the game is simple in only one of the above aspects, then it is not casual. The casual game is usually "simple" in everything.

[quote] 50sent is simply impossible to classify as a casual game. there is a brand here, and a brand is not accidentally bought, because

casual is a person temporarily or accidentally engaged in some kind of activity (temporary worker, casual customer in a store).

It is very important to understand this. [/ quote]
A casual buyer will just buy a brand that is promoted outside of games. These are games of the bottom of his "accidental" acquisition, but he (the buyer) understands the other things. It is for these that third parties are attracted to brands that have not previously been related to games. A person who accidentally comes to buy a game in a store will see the familiar face of "fifty" and take the game, because he may not understand games, but he knows the performer. The same goes for games based on films, by the way.

[quote] So what? Let's consider quests casual? [/ Quote]
No. See the answer at the very beginning of this post. The quest can be simple in one aspect, but very versatile in others. I strongly doubt that it is so simple that a casual shopper will take quests off store shelves.

y
yuhan 06.08.21

[b] SSnake [/ b], well then at the expense of a cent and games on films I agree

A
Artiom 06.08.21

[quote name = "yuhan"] [b] SSnake [/ b], well then at the expense of a cent and games on films I agree [/ quote]
In general, there is no dispute. Most of the games are made by non-gaming brands and are designed for casual buyers - casuals. They are attracted to games by non-play titles. By simplifying everything and everyone, we end up with casual games. All these FIFA, NBA in the same heap, using my father as an example, he does not care about games, but when he sees the FIFA inscription on the box, he will at least be interested.

The worst thing is that these games are the future, simple and unpretentious and they are sold steadily (50 cents is a good example of this) and, therefore, "hardcore" games with a complex world, gameplay and storyline will also "adapt". This foulbrood will still spread and it depends on whether the experienced player accepts new realities or simply stops playing.

y
yuhan 06.08.21

But this is already a kind of "second generation" of casual games.

A
Artiom 06.08.21

Yeah. More precisely, this is the development of ideas for the casualization of games. These are mutants who try to combine hardcore and casual in themselves, no matter how silly it sounds. However, “you’ll chase two hares, you won’t catch a single one,” such mutants cause more rejection in me than purely casual games, which, in general, have a right to exist. There is a feeling that a hardcore gamer is mixed with this, that he is used to eating a new product faster.

O
OkaRin 06.08.21

[quote] hateful mutants that try a perfect balance hardcore and casual as silly as it sounds. [/ quote]

O__o first time I heard) ... And you can be an example?

Yes, and more - just wondering if all sorts of love-date Japanese sims can be attributed to casual in any way? (Like Sakura for example)

o
ok 06.08.21

[quote]
using my father as an example, he doesn't give a damn about games, but when he sees the FIFA inscription on the box, he will at least be interested.
[/ quote]
Exactly, the same story. In my understanding, * casual * is mundane, everyday. Simple, unpretentious, like Tetris. Understandable, not stubborn to strain, accessible to everyone, interesting in the process, but not leaving particularly vivid impressions.

O
OkaRin 06.08.21

[quote] Simple, unpretentious, like Tetris. [/ quote]

And also, the most casual, so to speak, hero of our time - Contra: gigi :. Our whole school plays it - from young to old - horror X ___ X.
You can get stupid.