3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21 11:00 pm

MSI r9 290x Gaming is warming up

Reviews of this map have appeared on the Internet (guru3d.com, overclockers.ru). Everywhere they write about temperatures up to 34 and up to 78 degrees at idle and under load.
My copy heats up to 40 and 89.

Has anyone here had a similar situation (not necessarily with the same card)? How did you do it? Should I take it back to the store?
92 Comments
Sort by:
D
DozoRRR 14.10.21

Here hardly anyone will answer you, tk. the card is new and few will have it, ask on the overclockers.ru forum. And so option 3:
1. Reviews were paid
2. The case is poorly ventilated
3. An unsuccessful sample got caught (try to increase the speed of the cooler through the drivers)

D
DartMaul 14.10.21

As far as I know, in all reviews the cards are tested on an open bench, so the temperature in a closed case will always be higher.

I had 290X, though the reference, and I cooled them with water. The card is very hot by itself, the power consumption of the chip is too high.

r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21

In the comments to the article on overclockers.ru I tried to ask a similar question (twice), but the messages, for some reason, were not published. They just answered that they carried out the tests in a closed Cooler Master HAF 922 case.
I have a SilverStone Raven 3, I don't think it is well ventilated (although if you don't close it, the temperature is lower, something about 80 degrees). Apparently the chip is such a "lucky" one.
In principle, while it is winter, and the house is not hot, it does not interfere with living. I'll see what happens next.

S
SUSUL1 14.10.21

R9 290x is warming up - it means it works =)
In general, the card temperature largely depends on the cooling system settings. Temperature is normal, so there is no need to spin the propellers

-
-SK.art- 14.10.21

DartMaul
As far as I know, in all reviews the cards are tested on an open bench, so the temperature in a closed case will always be higher.

the opinion is erroneous. In a well-ventilated case, the components are cooled better ..
On this topic, I remember, at the overs there was an article on the PS (it seems) ..

ramil.bagizov
Apparently the chip was such a "successful" one.
In principle, while it is winter, and the house is not hot, it does not interfere with living. I'll see what happens next.

it is better to try to replace the card with the same one. It is possible that the thermal paste at the factory was crooked / not smeared enough or something else .. But this should not be your problem) You should not just smear it yourself, otherwise they will not be accepted back (as a rule, when returning the card to the store, the sellers carefully examine bolts on the card at the time of opening) ..

At one time, I bought a reference GTX670. In all reviews, the card warmed up to 80-82 degrees in load, and I had less than 89 degrees. did not want. And what I just didn’t do (and the case (by the way, it was well ventilated) opened it and tricked it with the fans), nothing helped. As a result, I agreed with the director of the store to replace it with a card with nonref cooling.

r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21

-SK.art-
There was a thought about thermal paste (I was even going to remove the cooler and check / grease). But the heat pipes and radiator fins are very hot during operation, which means the heat is removed, but the GPU, for some reason, generates this heat more than in the reviews :)

I 'll try to call the store, maybe it will be possible to arrange an exchange.

D
DartMaul 14.10.21

-SK.art- wrong
opinion. In a well-ventilated case, the components are cooled better ..
Well, this is probably in a very well-ventilated case. Such cases are usually large and expensive, and I have not met such fans here.

ramil.bagizov
I 'll try to call the store, maybe I can arrange an exchange.
Try it, but this is hardly an unsuccessful copy, rather it is just a feature of the model.

e
exlipse88 14.10.21

ramil.bagizov

Everywhere they write about temperatures up to 34 and up to 78 degrees at idle and under load.
My copy heats up to 40 and 89.

I have a SilverStone Raven 3, I do not think that it is well ventilated (although if you do not close it, the temperature is lower, something about 80 degrees).

You yourself answered your own question.

K
KnightRider696 14.10.21

The R290X itself is a hot card, it heats up to 100 * without any problems. And the reason for this is the reference CRM. Therefore, it is better to wait for the neref, since it comes to that. And I'm sitting with the 780Ti. Ref, but cool! Up to 80 * Rarely brought.

e
exlipse88 14.10.21

KnightRider696

He already has a neref, but in his case, cooling is carried out by 2x180mm turntables standing at the bottom of the case, i.e. ventilation in the case is not only bad, but terrible.

K
KnightRider696 14.10.21

exlipse88
1. Well, I meant R290X in general
2. It depends on what kind of turntables. Oh yeah, how do you fit 2x180 into the bottom of the case? Homemade, or am I behind the times?

e
exlipse88 14.10.21

KnightRider696

This case is the above link to the review. And here it doesn't matter what kind of turntables, I know from personal experience, tk. I have a TY-140 on the back wall and the air flow is very perceptible, and on the bottom it is exactly the same, and the air flow is barely felt at the same speed.

r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21

exlipse88
He already has a neref, but in his case, cooling is carried out by 2x180mm turntables standing at the bottom of the case, i.e. ventilation in the case is not only bad, but terrible.

With ventilation, I think everything is in order. If the lid is not closed, then the temperature of the video card, under load, is lower by about 5 degrees (84-85). Not super, of course, but not "terrible" either :)
Here we must take into account the fact that the legs of the case are rather high. Between the fans and the table surface 4 centimeters (specially measured), so there is where to suck in fresh air.
Well, in practice, during games, a rather noticeable stream of hot air escapes from the upper part of the case.

r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21

NyakoCat
What nonsense. If they showed the truth, people who bought video cards would not complain.

I'm not complaining about the card, it keeps the declared frequencies stable, even overclocked it a bit.
The situation itself is interesting to me. Why is there such a difference in the results of my map and those that took part in the reviews. And there are two options left: either paid reviews, or I came across an unsuccessful sample.

It would be nice to find a couple more owners of this msi and find out about their copies.

S
SUSUL1 14.10.21

ramil.bagizov
that is, you think the temperature of 80 degrees is very different from 79C, what in the reviews? Lay the case sideways, then the hot air will go up and get your 79 degrees

b
bloomm 14.10.21

ramil.bagizov
Open the case completely and test it.

I had this one above 73, the rpm was not warming up, I put the thermaltake element S case open in MSI afterburner

M
MKUltra 14.10.21

1. You can increase the speed of the video card coolers (usually they do not spin more than 60% in nominal value), but it will be noisier.
2. You can try to lower the GPU voltage. On my example, the nominal was 1069mV at 850MHz, now it works fine at 1050mV and 950MHz.
3. Perhaps on the vidyuha curve / raw BIOS, if possible, it's better to flash another one (it helped me get rid of some artifacts).
4. And yes, the thermal paste on msi is not very good, I came across posts several times discussing msi vidyuh, where it was discussed

D
DartMaul 14.10.21

Okay, guys, tie the water in the mortar to crush.

Firstly, with regard to reviews: the first thing you pay attention to when reading a review is where the copy of the map you tested came from. If at the end it says "Thank you to the store" At Petrovich "" then most likely the card is retail, but if "Thank you MSI" then most likely not. And these cards have differences. + also note that the tests always indicate ambient temp.
In addition, any decent review contains photos of the card without cooling, and they usually appear at the beginning of the review. It is quite possible that the card is first disassembled and then tested, that is, the paste is smeared.

With regard to airflow and other ventilation: cooling in the case can only be better when there is a direct flow of air from the outside directed to the part to be cooled. Roughly speaking, if you do not have fans on the wall of the case, it is better to remove the wall. And in general, it is better to put the system unit on its side. Convection does its job.

As for the tweaks from simmerr,
you are unlikely to throw off the voltage, it is already twisted under the asix + it already sags from the wedge. I had a lot of cards, both 290X and 7970 and on the same model there were different stock voltages.
Bios of course there can be at least 10 times crooked and raw, but this has nothing to do with heating.
Thermal grease is there as usual of average lousy, if you have Gelid Extreme or at least MX-4 then it may be worth greasing.
In addition, it is no longer important what to smear, but how to smear.

In general, dropsy is put on such cards.

r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21

In the morning I noticed that I had left contradictory comments here.

I have a SilverStone Raven 3, I do not think that it is well ventilated (although if you do not close it, then the temperature is lower, something around 80 degrees).

With ventilation, I think everything is in order. If the lid is not closed, then the temperature of the video card, under load, is lower by about 5 degrees (84-85). Not super, of course, but not "terrible" either :)

The fact is that I did not run tests on purpose. I played Battlefield calmly, occasionally turning down and looking at the MSI Afterburner scores. And, apparently, at different times I caught different current indicators.

In general, I decided to fix it and drive out a normal test, which, it seems, should provide the same load during all tests.

The room is 22 degrees.
GPU frequency - 1030MHz, memory frequency - 1250MHz.

As a test I use Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (20 minutes each), with the following settings:
DirectX 11;
Quality: Ultra;
Tessellation: Extreme;
Anti-aliasing: x8;
Resolution: 1920x1200.

The open case is in the normal position, the case fans working for blowing are turned off.
Pre-test temperatures:
CPU: 31 ° C
GPU: 38 ° C
VRM T1: 31 ° C
VRM T2: 33 ° C

Post-test temperatures:
CPU: 46 ° C
GPU: 84 ° C
VRM T1: 80 ° C
VRM T2: 67 ° C
Graphics card cooler working at 64%

I turn off the test and wait until the temperatures drop to their initial values ​​(I help with a floor fan :)).
I turn the body 90 degrees (I put it on the back wall) and wait 5 minutes.

An open case on the back wall, case fans working for blowing are turned off.
Pre-test temperatures:

Post-test temperatures:
CPU: 48 ° C
GPU: 85 ° C
VRM T1: 82 ° C
VRM T2: 69 ° C The
cooler of the video card works at 64%

I'm waiting for the iron to cool down. I turn off the computer, turn on the case fans, put on the side covers.

Closed housing on the back wall.
Temperatures before the start of the test:

Post-test temperatures:
CPU: 47 ° C
GPU: 84 ° C
VRM T1: 79 ° C
VRM T2: 67 ° C
Graphics card cooler works at 64% I

turn off the test, turn on the case fans to the full, wait until everything cools down.
I put the body in the normal position.

Closed housing in normal position.
Pre-test temperatures:
VRM T2: 34 ° C

Post-test temperatures:
CPU: 49 ° C
GPU: 85-86 ° C
VRM T1: 82 ° C
VRM T2: 69 ° C
Graphics card cooler working at 64-71%

Without stopping the test, I remove the side wall. In 15 minutes, the following values ​​were obtained:
CPU: 46 ° C
GPU: 84-85 ° C
VRM T1: 81 ° C
VRM T2: 67 ° C The
cooler of the video card works at 61-64%

Something like this.

Open body spit to ensure that the position of the heatpipes (vertical, end-down / horizontal) does not significantly affect the results.

t
theme11471 14.10.21

I have not read everything, and I will not unsubscribe about the card directly. Let me just say that if you force V-Sync in the video card control panel, then the temperature in games will be noticeably lower.

It is now the middle of the night, so ogsobo didn’t read it. If the user has a laptop card (I have never used AMD, so I don’t know if there is a laptop version of this card), then the temperature is generally acceptable. In my laptop, I overclocked the Giraffe at 125 megahertz in the core, and played on it for years at a temperature of 91 degrees. They have a limit of 105.
If the card is "desktop", I think you can try to return it to the store, because 89 for a modern desktop card is of course the devil knows what.