3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21 11:00 pm

MSI r9 290x Gaming is warming up

Reviews of this map have appeared on the Internet (guru3d.com, overclockers.ru). Everywhere they write about temperatures up to 34 and up to 78 degrees at idle and under load.
My copy heats up to 40 and 89.

Has anyone here had a similar situation (not necessarily with the same card)? How did you do it? Should I take it back to the store?
92 Comments
Sort by:
R
Rewers v.01 14.10.21

ramil.bagizov
Not known (this is an extract from the correspondence, I have no exact information)

M
Mikhail Shatalov 14.10.21

the same map played in multiplayer batelfield 4

r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21

Mikhail Shatalov
In which building is the system assembled? Is vertical sync disabled in the game?

M
Mikhail Shatalov 14.10.21

ramil.bagizov
Miditower ATX GMC Double-X case, included

D
DozoRRR 14.10.21

Mikhail Shatalov is
on.
Then it's clear why it's so cold.

r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21

DozoRRR
Yeah, unless the monitor is 120 hertz)

Mikhail Shatalov
The fact is that if the number of frames per second is limited to sixty, then this card is loaded weakly.
I also tried to turn on v-sync, and paired with lowering the voltage under bf4, I got a temperature of 68-70 degrees.

r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21

Pink elephant
71 at 89 may or may not, but +14, approximately, works out for me.

m
mister611 14.10.21

For such a map, 80-90 degrees. not scary, but of course everyone wants to lower the temperature. As soon as I installed and started testing the new card in games and synthetics, I noticed that the temperature often exceeded 80-85 degrees in difficult moments, but the cooling fans did not spin faster than 48%. Those. the manufacturer, in my case asus, set the MAX work of coolers to 48%, so that up to 90 degrees. she could not be heard. In add. The software from the asus had a program for overclocking and controlling the operation of the cooling system, but as in the catalist, the control itself was divided either into manual or automatic (controlled by the card's BIOS, without additional adjustments). I decided to go with the proven method, now, as always, I use MSI Afterburner - a very convenient and functional program, in which I consider the main advantage of the available software user auto mode for controlling the cooler speed, depending on the temperature of the card heating, and also excellent monitoring. After all the tests and adjustments, the card in the most difficult games (BF4, crisis 3, I always play in HD3D mode, i.e. stereo with active glasses in Full resolution) does not heat up above 70-71 degrees, while the coolers spin up to 75- 76% and did not make much noise, so the rustle of the breeze, if the sound of the game is turned off. The case is an ordinary, not cool Cooler Master CMP-350 (RC-350-KKN1). When installing the card, I even had to cut the inside (where the disk installation frame is) to fit a new card (a big fool of course). One 120 mm cooler is installed for intake and exhaust in the system unit, the case is always closed. So I don't see any problems with cooling the R9 290x.

D
DartMaul 14.10.21

mister611
problems with cooling R9 290x I do not see
Me too)

D
DozoRRR 14.10.21

DartMaul
WITH CBO, of course)

D
DartMaul 14.10.21

CBO is the only efficient way to cool cards with a TDP of 250+ watts. (well, at normal room temperature, and without using extreme, of course)

V
VITYA_KOLYADENKO 14.10.21

DartMaul
CBO is the only efficient way to cool cards with a TDP of 250+ watts. (well, at normal room temperature, and without using extreme, of course)
In ancient times for processors one winter: "Using high-tech cooling methods, Presler can be overclocked to a frequency of more than 5.5 GHz, as evidenced by the first successful experiments carried out by enthusiasts in this direction. "
Specifically, what I read in the magazine is the conclusion of the dropsy radiator at -20 frost. Without such perversions, just overclocking by a multiplier - "As for the temperature regime, the maximum temperature of the processor overclocked to 4.26 GHz (at full load) reached 79 degrees."

D
DartMaul 14.10.21

VITYA_KOLYADENKO
There are nuances here.
Firstly, in order to pull the radiator out into the cold, you need to fill in an anti-freeze. There are no problems in the choice of liquids, this is essentially any alcohol (usually ethylene glycol), but unfortunately all alcohols have a significantly worse heat capacity than water.

Secondly, if it is really -20 outside and the radiator is large and allows the water to cool down to at least -10, you will have to insulate the hoses (the part of the hoses that is in the room), as condensation will form on them.

+ there is also a question with a pump and coolers. I don’t know how the pumps are (in any case, such temperatures are not specified in the specs), but the coolers definitely don’t like frost.

In general, there is a variant of the so-called open loop. A bucket of water is taken, people from the freezer are poured into it, a pump is pushed into the bucket and a return hose through which the water will drain back. Cheap and cheerful)

S
SUSUL1 14.10.21

DartMaul
VITYA_KOLYADENKO
How do you think in a standard way!
No engineering approach.
radiator outside ... it's weather-dependent!
Better buy a freezer, fill it with antifreeze, and dip the radiator into it!
here is a heat exchanger at -25 at any temperature outside. A good freezer gives out 700W of cold in a lightweight mode in forced mode.

D
DartMaul 14.10.21

SUSUL1
This is a variation of what is called a "chiller".
If you take a freezer, it is better to make freon out of it. Or you can take 2 freezers, solder both compressors and make a cascade. It will be possible to get -100C.
Theoretically, it is possible to screw a peltier element there, although it also needs to be cooled, I don’t know how much it can help with air cooling, although I don’t know how much a peltier element can cool a chip with a release of 250+ watts.

S
SUSUL1 14.10.21

DartMaul
Should disappoint you, but the pellets are very dull in terms of productivity. though simple. Their maximum is a few watts.
The variant described by you requires complex and expensive equipment (it is not so easy to go to "-60" on freon. - then at least 3-4 cycles will be needed!)
At -100 and further, cryogenic gases are needed - air, nitrogen, hydrogen or helium ... In order not to bother, I recommend the ZIF-700 car. (dear truth, an infection, although maybe you can find BU from oilmen)
Against the background of all this, a freezer with antifreeze looks cheap and angry =)
For a finished product is bought and raped to the extent of spoilage =)
I wonder how many refrigerators does one chiller cost?
=)

D
DartMaul 14.10.21

I know very well what a peltier element is. It was used with ancient processors or for cooling bridges.

it is not so easy to go to "-60" on freon. - then at least 3-4 cycles will be required.
When using compressors with a capacity of 500+ watts each, and the correct gases, one compressor can provide up to -45 and a circuit from 2 to -100.

By the way, a month ago they sold a good freon for 7 rubles in total)

S
SUSUL1 14.10.21

DartMaul Maybe
they can =) But how much freon will they have to pump in order to keep the cooling capacity? at least 300W?
I'm afraid a 500W compressor will not be enough here.

D
DartMaul 14.10.21

SUSUL1
45 degrees normal freon keep under load (not 300 watts of course, but 150 for sure). And without load, just there - 50 kopecks.

Don't be afraid. Google it better.

S
SUSUL1 14.10.21

DartMaul
Why google =)
I once wrote a coursework on freon systems, but did a diploma for helium.
Just too lazy to count =)