3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
r
ramil.bagizov 14.10.21 11:00 pm

MSI r9 290x Gaming is warming up

Reviews of this map have appeared on the Internet (guru3d.com, overclockers.ru). Everywhere they write about temperatures up to 34 and up to 78 degrees at idle and under load.
My copy heats up to 40 and 89.

Has anyone here had a similar situation (not necessarily with the same card)? How did you do it? Should I take it back to the store?
92 Comments
Sort by:
D
DartMaul 14.10.21

SUSUL1
Well then, you should go look for old refrigerators and make freon from them. Sell ​​and earn good money)
The cost of a homemade freon is usually in the range of 15-20k rubles.

m
mister611 14.10.21

The topic was banned, but in my opinion the card is not at all hot. I have asus. At first (as soon as I took it) I tested - yes, the temperature rose to 85-86 degrees, but at the same time the coolers were set by the developers for 48% of the work, up to 90 degrees. (I haven't seen it so hot) Ie. max promotion of coolers in tests and games did not rise more than 48%. Using MSI Afterburner, I set up the coolers depending on the temperature (I wrote about this above) and everything is ok! Che here took up freons ???

V
VITYA_KOLYADENKO 14.10.21

mister611
If you don't know what freon is, then you probably don't know that there were processors like the Gallatin core.

s
stpt 14.10.21

lower the frequencies to 10-20 and you will be happy

0rbby 14.10.21

There was the same problem, in the end I just disassembled it (because I live in another city), and there the thermal paste goes beyond the core and touches the transistors (or resistors, I don't really understand them), I cleaned everything thoroughly (although a little thermal paste between them left, but ...) after which the temperature dropped sharply:
Stoke (did not touch anything): simple - 45-50 degrees
load (witcher 3, everything on the ultim) 90-97 degrees, 25-45
fps batman (all on the ultim) 82-89, 20-48 fps
After operations, I did not touch the frequency, but slightly dig deeper into the cooling (set to 100% at 68 degrees:
simple - 37-41 degrees
load (witcher 3, all on the ultim) 78-85 degrees (URA !!!) 29-52
fps batman (ultima) 69-76 deg 29-64 fps (fig swing)
batman (ultima, but shadows on medium) 65-74 deg 37-72 fps
I reduced the frequency of the processor to 1000 MHz, and the memory to 1200 MHz:
simple - still the
load (the Witcher 3, all on the ultim) 72-80 degrees 23-48
fps betman (ultima) 64-71 degrees 22-49 fps (
betman (ultima but the shadows on the middle) 61-67 degrees 25-60 fps
Here are the things, where the temperature is indicated the maximum when the case is open / closed, respectively (because the case is not to hell)

0rbby 14.10.21

mister611
The fact is that here there are 100% less revolutions than others, for the sake of silence (here MSI HAWK HD7870 2gb at 100% made noise a little quieter than a vacuum cleaner)

N
NukeNick 14.10.21

It should warm up) MSI and ASUS R9 290x VRM 100 heats up due to CO peculiarities, if R9 290x, then there is nothing better than Sapphire!

m
mister611 14.10.21

NerdGeek
at MSI and ASUS R9 290x VRM 100 heats up due to the peculiarities of CO
- what kind of fiction? Or have you tested all these cards yourself? Why blurt out "from the ceiling" which you yourself have not tried. Well, you like Sapphire, that's understandable, but where do you draw conclusions about its exclusivity? Moreover, each manufacturer has at least 2-3 different models of the same 290x with different overclocking, power supply and cooling. For example, I do not experience any problems with cooling and noisy operation from a real card from ASUS. Max temperature in heavy games (in 3D stereo mode) 68-72 degrees. - it's not hot at all for such a card. In general, do not exaggerate, be more modest))

N
NukeNick 14.10.21

mister611 There were friends who changed it from MSI to Sapphire and for the pace on VRM2 under 105

M
MythOfTheLight 14.10.21

The R9 290X plows flawlessly in all games, BUT the sister TheSims 3 turns on, the temperature soars to 80, the cooler up to 80% (makes noise like a vacuum cleaner), the card falls into artifacts for a couple of seconds, then Windows gives out that "the video driver stopped responding, restarting the video driver" and there are no artifacts , running sims3 in 30FPS limitation mode solves the problem.At the
same time, there is no such situation in any other game, BUT
when starting FurMark on BURN-IN, the test gains 80 degrees a moment after launch and artifacts-resetting the video driver-and so on in a circle
Unigine Heaven 4.0 , 3DMark Firestrike (demo) runs without problems.

W
WWQ 14.10.21

MythOfTheLight
r9 290 windforce 3x, nothing of the above except temperature, but it heats up to max 105 in games and 110 in a bagel (modified BIOS)
regardless of overclocking, after 107 the arts start, but the firewood does not fly off, I limited it to 106, the cooler gives out 4700 rpm ...
By the way, you are not the first with such a problem on x *, 290 without x lack of these problems due to low tdp, try to trick with tension, some manage to set it up. The temperature cut-off should be shifted and check if the memory is cooling normally, change the mb of thermal pads (I changed it in due time)
Well, update the BIOS on the card, for example, it often updates a gigabyte.

i
iGorf33 14.10.21

CHECK THE STATE OF THE THERMOPASTA ON THE CRYSTAL !!! DRIES OUT !!! especially if it was moved when installing the radiator.