3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
D
Daenur 06.11.21 11:15 pm

Beta Half-Life 2 - impressions

It seems that I did not see someone here sharing their impressions of the Beta, so let it be a topic;)

The first thing that becomes clear: if the hacker did not lie and this is really all that Valve had in his work, then the game simply could not be released on September 30 in any way - there is simply nothing to release: rotfl: and God forbid they have time to finish everything by April :)

Really playable levels are very few - on the fingers of one hand of a disabled person can be counted :) there is a bunch of something like a hangar without windows and doors inside which there are three dudes hanging in the air :) and there are more than enough such levels. There are half playable ones in which, say, there is no scripted scene due to which it is impossible to advance, there are no textures in some places, etc.

Rumors that there is no AI in beta did not come true. AI is, although it does not shine at all. The animation of people's movements is not at all happy - it is very jerky and unnatural. The vaunted Lipsink works occasionally and then through the ass. Although the water is beautiful, it looks unimportant and it is annoying that it is always in motion (although there are never waves), i.e. constant chaotic flickering, what is the calmness of the local water was not explained.

It is not very clear with the damage system: either traces remain on people, or nothing remains at all :? Pomegranates do not tear anyone into vinigrette, well, maybe zombies, and even then they always fly into three identical parts. So everything here looks very rough at the moment.

Physics is very good, but quite useless: you look once or twice as the barrels from a grenade scatter and you forget. Well, the corpses, of course, competently twirl their limbs after death, although this will surprise no one already.

The weapons are almost all old and of no interest - the usual set of guns, except for the gravitational bullet.

The sound is very good and this is practically the only thing that leaves an extremely positive impression.

The walls without textures also look very funny, on which markings are made for doors, windows, etc. :) and all sorts of inscriptions left by the developers: "But here it would be necessary to let some water" or "And this door will be locked": mrgreen:

The game slows down a lot in places (despite the not weak config) and often falls out into Windows: evil:

The main conclusion: if this is all that Valve has, then plow it and plow it so that another soap bubble does not turn out, which was blown up by PR people for a long time and tastefully and which, with the release of the game, will burst with relish and sprinkle everyone : gigi:

PS if anyone needs this beta - you have two blanks and: lovebeer:

68 Comments
Sort by:
G
GUUD 06.11.21

It's a shame ... very ... Does anyone in Kiev have this beta? Share ...

G
G-offspring 06.11.21

I especially liked the G-offspring replica, in the style: I have not seen the alpha, I have not seen the video, but I heard that .... It does not remind you of anything ....

Understand me, gentlemen, a person who is very interested in gameza (but does not see the videos) gets a rumor that all the videos are bullshit ... And naturally this person rushes to the forum to find out the truth ... I didn’t claim as pensioners: "We have not read the Land Code, but we are against it!", But I wanted to ask: is this a rumor or a bitter truth ...

S
Segal 06.11.21

It has been there for a long time. Hands do not reach to install it.

A
Action 06.11.21

I especially liked the G-offspring replica, in the style: I have not seen the alpha, I have not seen the video, but I heard that .... It does not remind you of anything ....

Understand me, gentlemen, a person who is very interested in gameza (but does not see the videos) gets a rumor that all the videos are bullshit ... And naturally this person rushes to the forum to find out the truth ... I didn’t claim as pensioners: "We have not read the Land Code, but we are against it!", But I wanted to ask: is this a rumor or a bitter truth ...

As for the graphics and physics, they are the same as in the video, and in AI it is not the one that was painted for us, but this can be easily attributed to the fact that it is alpha.

Absolutely here ...

ZY yes, I generally understand, but your phrase came out funny in general :)

H
HAEMHuK 06.11.21

I saw videos, incl. and with "E3" ... not impressed .... absolutely, I don't know why ... the last STALKER video is much more impressive ... that's what I'm waiting for, I'm preparing a computer ...

G
Guest 06.11.21

How could I have missed this topic? So .....

Once again about the situation with the hacker. I do not know, but she seems to me some kind of garbage. Why lay out everything that is on a computer with a net? How does a hacker know he stole everything? Here either Valve is lying and there is no hacker, or both.

I would also like to play the demo. Is there a reason to download video at 1.2Hz and 32? And how much does it take?

The main conclusion: if this is all that Valve has, then plow it and plow it so that another soap bubble does not turn out, which was blown up by PR people for a long time and tastefully and which, with the release of the game, will burst with relish and sprinkle everyone

Yes, it is unlikely that a bet is all they have:?

About beautiful moments in alpha:

Very beautiful screens, and the water is a pancake just a miracle. Look into the distance: nothing is blurred, no ladders. The graphics are excellent on the screenshots, maybe it's worse in beta, I don't know :?

Let's hope for the best :)

K
Kay'L 669 06.11.21

I don't know, but she seems to me some kind of crap

Stop using this word all the time.

-
-DileSoft- 06.11.21

People, but you can list what cards you have, otherwise I have something, in my opinion, is not enough. And one more thing: on the maps e3_tech_01 / 05 and e3_lab a bunch of big red objects will pop up error ... :( Is this also the case for everyone?

S
Sick 06.11.21

Has anyone played beta on vidyuhs with full DirectX 9 support?

G
Guest 06.11.21

I don't know, but she seems to me some kind of crap

Stop using this word all the time.

Does it also fall under your undoubtedly fair code? :)

D
Daenur 06.11.21

Has anyone played beta on vidyuhs with full DirectX 9 support?

played, however, apparently, while the game slows down completely regardless of the config, my fps constantly dropped from 60 to 30 for absolutely no reason, measured frapsom naturally.

K
Kay'L 669 06.11.21

Does it also fall under your undoubtedly fair code? :)

Matershina is generally forbidden by the rules.

A
Action 06.11.21

How could I have missed this topic? So .....

I would also like to play the demo. Is there a reason to download video at 1.2Hz and 32? And how much does it take?

It takes about 1.5 gigabytes in the archives, you shouldn't download it, your car is rather weak for alpha :(

Very beautiful screens, and the water is a pancake just a miracle. Look into the distance: nothing is blurred, no ladders. The graphics are excellent on the screenshots, maybe it's worse in beta, I don't know :?

I filmed all this myself, when I played at seafloor level in alpha (in my opinion the most beautiful), so everything is natural!

But nothing is blurred and the wires are clear exactly because antialiasing costs 6x :), anisotropic 16x :), but nevertheless ..

In short, I believe in Valva and I hope that everything will work out for them ...

G
Guest 06.11.21

But nothing is blurred and the wires are clear exactly because antialiasing costs 6x, anisotropic 16x, but nevertheless ..

And with such settings, what kind of computer does it slow down?

And take a screenshot, please, with 640 by 480, medium details, 4x anti-aliasing and 16-bit color. And and turn off all sorts of 8 and 9 direktovskie bells and whistles. My video is GeForce 2 Gts Pro 32 Mb.

I would like to see what I see in my car. :)

G
Guest 06.11.21

... I looked at it. I looked at a couple of levels (yes, not even levels, and so - blanks), because I do not want to spoil the impression of the full game.

Physics is not used - that's what is insulting. Yes, you can grab all sorts of devices with this thing (G-Gun or whatever) and throw them at others. Yes, in some places it is beautiful - a helicopter, for example, blows objects away with air currents.

But physics does not particularly affect the gameplay, although it would seem - such prospects. Everything is the old fashioned way.

PS The water is beautiful

G
Guest 06.11.21

But physics does not particularly affect the gameplay, although it would seem - such prospects. Everything is the old fashioned way.

And what kind of gameplay can be in the beta?

The videos showed very clearly how to use new physical features. I remember, I shot at some kind of rope, there something fell, then pushed ... in short, there are 3 dudes below, some with a log, some with a barrel :) Yes, the very ability to move objects changes the gameplay. For example, cha has zero rounds, and five evil guys with machine guns are chasing you. You got up, you look, the refrigerator is standing - well, and let it down the stairs. So there are no uncles and weapons have appeared. :)

G
Guest 06.11.21

And what kind of gameplay can be in the beta?

The videos showed very clearly how to use new physical features.

Yes, it is clear that there is no gameplay there (besides, this is not a beta at all, but ... a piece of content), but there are hints of gameplay. The picturesque moments that were shown in the commercials are exactly the moments. There is no integral use of physics in the game, but for the most part everything happens in the old fashioned way: we walk and shoot.

Physics is remembered either in specially prepared places or by accident (oh, I threw a grenade into the room, and from there the battery flew out).

-
-DileSoft- 06.11.21

But nothing is blurred and the wires are clear exactly because antialiasing costs 6x, anisotropic 16x, but nevertheless ..

And with such settings, what kind of computer does it slow down?

And take a screenshot, please, with 640 by 480, medium details, 4x anti-aliasing and 16-bit color. And and turn off all sorts of 8 and 9 direktovskie bells and whistles. My video is GeForce 2 Gts Pro 32 Mb.

I would like to see what I see in my car. :)

Instead of water, you will see either a texture of gray-white cells, or a large blurred multi-colored spot, moreover, without the effect of transparency.

I ran it on a GF4 MX440 with a friend, there was just such an effect.

Well, it will slow down ...

G
Guest 06.11.21

The picturesque moments that were shown in the commercials are exactly the moments.

And on what basis did you come to this conclusion? You said yourself, besides, this is not beta at all, but ... a piece of content

DileSoft

So the game adapts to the second Force or to those hackneyed cards like GeForce 4 Mx?

A
Action 06.11.21

GF 4 MX is no different from GF 2

You will NOT see beautiful water on your map in HL2 - these are shaders that your vidyuha does not support

HL 2 is optimized for DX 8.1 -9.0 cards, and GF 2 and GF 4 MX only DX 7.0

Unfortunately, I have already erased the folder with HL2 alpha and put Max Payne 2 in its place, and therefore I cannot click screenshots in 640 * 480, but I still have a screenshot without anti-aliasing http://action.hotmail.ru/%d5 % cb2% e2% ee% e4% e0.JPG

In addition, I'm not sure that this alpha already includes support for DH 7.0 cards, so you better not risk downloading 1.5 gig of any junk, it's not worth it, there is practically nothing to play there, it's techno-demic and nothing more ...