3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
D
Daenur 06.11.21 11:15 pm

Beta Half-Life 2 - impressions

It seems that I did not see someone here sharing their impressions of the Beta, so let it be a topic;)

The first thing that becomes clear: if the hacker did not lie and this is really all that Valve had in his work, then the game simply could not be released on September 30 in any way - there is simply nothing to release: rotfl: and God forbid they have time to finish everything by April :)

Really playable levels are very few - on the fingers of one hand of a disabled person can be counted :) there is a bunch of something like a hangar without windows and doors inside which there are three dudes hanging in the air :) and there are more than enough such levels. There are half playable ones in which, say, there is no scripted scene due to which it is impossible to advance, there are no textures in some places, etc.

Rumors that there is no AI in beta did not come true. AI is, although it does not shine at all. The animation of people's movements is not at all happy - it is very jerky and unnatural. The vaunted Lipsink works occasionally and then through the ass. Although the water is beautiful, it looks unimportant and it is annoying that it is always in motion (although there are never waves), i.e. constant chaotic flickering, what is the calmness of the local water was not explained.

It is not very clear with the damage system: either traces remain on people, or nothing remains at all :? Pomegranates do not tear anyone into vinigrette, well, maybe zombies, and even then they always fly into three identical parts. So everything here looks very rough at the moment.

Physics is very good, but quite useless: you look once or twice as the barrels from a grenade scatter and you forget. Well, the corpses, of course, competently twirl their limbs after death, although this will surprise no one already.

The weapons are almost all old and of no interest - the usual set of guns, except for the gravitational bullet.

The sound is very good and this is practically the only thing that leaves an extremely positive impression.

The walls without textures also look very funny, on which markings are made for doors, windows, etc. :) and all sorts of inscriptions left by the developers: "But here it would be necessary to let some water" or "And this door will be locked": mrgreen:

The game slows down a lot in places (despite the not weak config) and often falls out into Windows: evil:

The main conclusion: if this is all that Valve has, then plow it and plow it so that another soap bubble does not turn out, which was blown up by PR people for a long time and tastefully and which, with the release of the game, will burst with relish and sprinkle everyone : gigi:

PS if anyone needs this beta - you have two blanks and: lovebeer:

68 Comments
Sort by:
-
-DileSoft- 06.11.21

In addition, I'm not sure that this alpha already includes support for DH 7.0 cards, so you better not risk downloading 1.5 gig of any junk, it's not worth it, there is practically nothing to play there, it's techno-demic and nothing more ...

Support is on, everything works, but the quality of the graph drops greatly - in addition to the glitches with water I described, there is no bump mapping,

G
Guest 06.11.21

... there is no bump mapping,

Does mine hold the bump too?

You will NOT see beautiful water on your map in HL2 - these are shaders

How will my water look like?

-
-DileSoft- 06.11.21

2Tommy

But it will be so on GF2, because GF4MX is the same as GF2 in terms of technological chips.

G
Guest 06.11.21

2Tommy

But it will be so on GF2, because GF4MX is the same as GF2 in terms of technological chips.

So what will be there instead of water?

V
Vitaly Vorobyov 06.11.21

2Tommy

Purple and black squares: rotfl:

G
Guest 06.11.21

2Tommy

Purple and black squares: rotfl:

And in the final version? : shock:

D
Daenur 06.11.21

when, for fun's sake, I ran this case on gf4 mx, instead of water there was just an even white texture :)

G
Guest 06.11.21

The picturesque moments that were shown in the commercials are exactly the moments.

And on what basis did you come to this conclusion? You said yourself, besides, this is not beta at all, but ... a piece of content

And so it is understandable.

PS "Gingerbread man" is cool - such a monster. Like a spiked ball. I liked him very much. Moves interesting.

R
RENAISSANCE KNIGHT 06.11.21

Sorry for the intrusion, but can anyone know how to make this very beta go like a normal game, and not on separate levels? : upset:

D
Daenur 06.11.21

yes in no way, although, they say, some of the pirates who released the beta made a kind of campaign, wrote a script so that the levels were launched in some sequence they knew :) I can’t vouch for the reliability of this information, but even if this is so, then so what? all the same, nothing really can be assembled from these pieces.

G
GUUD 06.11.21

Damn, I have a problem here - D3d does not turn on, only OpenGL ...

A
Action 06.11.21

This setting does not work for anyone, forget it ...

D
De @ th 06.11.21

Is this Halva on 2 disks? and on the back it is written that they say this version was made from the game code that was stolen?: confused:

B
BlindGuard 06.11.21

And I liked to ride a typewriter :) And so - some kind of garbage ...

F
Footman 06.11.21

I don't even know if it's worth buying it or not!

Please advise.

B
BlindGuard 06.11.21

I don't even know if I should buy it or not!

Please advise.

A topic to read poorly? :)

IMHO, only spoil the impressions of the future game (whatever it may be).

For example, after meeting this beta I think that HL2 will be a complete "atstoy", or, as one friend of mine put it, "a rail shooter." And then the game will be very difficult to convince me of this.

So it’s better not.

S
Strange 06.11.21

Everyone has their own opinion - for example, I think that HL2 will be the greatest masterpiece of game development, maybe even the 1st will surpass, and hardly anyone will be able to convince me otherwise - HL2 is the tomorrow of game development, nothing is better either in terms of graphics, in physics or in atmosphere I have not yet seen in the camp of 3D shooters, I do not know with what reboot everyone spits so much from this beta, can the cars be weak? - so the game is not to blame for this, it was not designed for GF2 and GF4MX and the like, and you can hardly see all the charm of the game on them.

R
Raipper 06.11.21

It's a shame ... very ... Does anyone in Kiev have this beta? Share ...

It has long been lying on all trays. I even saw in the c-pont-license :)

I don't even know if I should buy it or not!

Please advise.

When it comes out - be sure. :) And this is perhaps the pre-alpha demo pulls ... But if it is valid. (I hope not) as the hacker says 70-80 percent. games ..: roll:

N
Nicolas 06.11.21

For the slept light version, this is fine.

E
Ex @ ltED_1 06.11.21

we seem to be finally fucked:: evil:: evil:

"According to CNN Money, Valve Software CEO Gabe Newell has confirmed our worst fears. For now, the Half-Life 2 developers are hoping to complete most of the work on the project by mid-summer this year, but this does not mean that the game will be released before the end of this year. "