3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
L
Lou Tenant 19.11.21 02:08 am

Localization (Fallout 4)

Maybe I didn’t notice it, but maybe it didn’t, I decided to create a topic for discussing localization. Or rather, loHalization.

I think it's not worth talking about such masterpieces as "Lead Riser" and "Baseball Cue Ball".
And also errors in quests are very pleasing: I think many have already encountered the quest "Collect the technical documentation from the proctor Quinlan", which actually asks not to "take it from the proctor", but "bring the proctor."
And what about the inexplicable transformation of an agent by name (or callsign) Deacon (Deacon in the original) into a priest Deacon (yes, now they throw slippers at me because I "don't know" that Deacon is translated as Deacon, but there is another option translation as "to cheat", and given its nature to lie to some events and facts,
What kind of loHalization errors did you find?
73 Comments
Sort by:
T
Terminator Sidor 19.11.21

Katyushka
Absolutely, the product must immediately comply with all standards. I would buy a license, but on condition of respectful attitude towards me, that is, with translation and dubbing. And so you can drive a pirate.

V
Vanya Rygalov 19.11.21

Dimanishche
I would buy a license, but on condition of respectful attitude towards me, that is, with translation and dubbing.
Dude, do you believe what you wrote yourself? Heh, heh ...
And so you can drive the pirate.
And you will drive her to the end of time.
And in general, why all these excuses? After all, you are a pirate. Pirate - that sounds proudly.

T

Vanya Rygalov
Of course. I am not a beggar. And the products must be sold of high quality, and not with lead risers and muzzles. The idea is somewhat good, if they translate it with dignity and sound it, then I will definitely buy it. This is the first thing.
And second, until the end of centuries, in principle, no one will drive her at all, dear you are our lawyer for hacks and shabashniks of jamshuto-translators. In addition to F4, the world has a lot of interesting things.

V
Vanya Rygalov 19.11.21

Dimanische
I am not a beggar.
However, I am wondering.
... if they translate it with dignity and sound it, then I will definitely buy it.
That is, never. Heh, heh ... And again, excuses. For what?
... dear you are our lawyer for hack-workers and shabashniks of jamshuto-translators.
Unlike some "not beggars" I download from torrents with a clear conscience and don’t hesitate, like: - if only if only ...
In the world besides F4 there is a lot of interesting things.
Dig-dig, and this maxim to which place to apply?

T

Vanya Rygalov A
miracle in feathers, what did you want? )

K
KAPRAL27 19.11.21

I hope that someday the Deputies. They will adopt a law on MANDATORY full localization of games. If the game is sold in Russia, then it must have subtitles and voice acting in Russian. Regardless of whether the developers want it or not.

V
Vanya Rygalov 19.11.21

Dimanishche A
miracle in feathers ...
Whose cow would moan ....
... what did you want? )
I love, you know, reading fairy tales, but you do it great.

T

Vanya Rygalov
Whose cow would bellow ....
Not yours, definitely a child, due to absence;)

m
mdskzo 19.11.21

Dimanishche
The whole article is at: https://games.mail.ru/pc/articles/feat/istorija_russkih_lokalizacij_ot_fargusa_do_nashih_dnej/
Petr Glants: We cannot say that the quality of translations changes over the years. This is a matter of chance, and it all depends on who is translating the games. For example, Electronic Arts in Russia had its own localization division, but after the crisis they decided to restructure and apply for translation to multilingual firms. These are companies that can sit anywhere in Spain and translate into all 20 languages. To do this, they have local people who "sort of" know the languages.
There were attempts to dub in the same place - it seems that Half-Life 2 got under the experiment, and it sounded like walking around the Odessa market. After that, they decided to stop this practice and from these multilingual offices they began to send us only the text. But it is categorically impossible to edit the text - and blunders came out through the word. It happened that the translation turned out to be different in style, the names did not coincide, and so on.
Mikhail Volkov: There are cases when an international company is engaged in translation, and the result is horror. It's good if we have time to somehow correct the translation so that it does not resemble the result of the work of Google Translate.
Elena Kovaleva, lead localization producer at 1C-SoftKlab: At the same time, Western studios have their own teams that check and test the translation. It happens that an emigrant from Eastern Europe, who has lived in London for 10 years, tests the Russian game and even manages to write witty comments!
Mikhail Volkov: Alas, for the most part such quality checks are performed by people who are not quite suitable for this. This is usually done in the West by Russian-speaking migrants, most likely not even from Russia, but from the former Soviet republics. They think that they know Russian quite well, although in fact, they have forgotten it and do not quite understand what they are doing. Unfortunately, this often happens.

m
mdskzo 19.11.21

KAPRAL27
Have you ever felt that you pay too little for video games, music, films, books and other content on foreign sites? If so, then State Duma deputy Andrei Lugovoi intends to take care of you: he proposed a bill that would add an additional tax on such purchases.

Lugovoi calls for VAT to be levied on the acquisition of content in the foreign part of the Web. In his opinion, now the situation is unfair: Russian organizations include value added tax in the price of their services, and foreign companies are spared from this. As a result, it is more profitable to take content abroad, and domestic providers allegedly become less attractive. It is this "injustice" that must be immediately corrected by introducing VAT on purchases on foreign sites.

Similar conditions, as stated in the bill, are already in force in the European Union, Japan and South Korea. In these countries, the tax on electronic services is applied according to the rules of the territory where the end user is located.

At the moment, the State Duma is only considering the draft law, that is, it is not a fact that it will actually come into force. However, if prices on your beloved Steam suddenly jump, you know who to blame.
Information taken from the site StopGame.ru

K
KAPRAL27 19.11.21

mdskzo
Well, since I download all games from a torrent, I somehow don’t care about the tax. I play ALL the games that come out. I do not understand those people who are here on the forums asking which game should I choose Fallout, Witcher, or Syndicate? I downloaded both that and that and that.

m
mdskzo 19.11.21

KAPRAL27
There are several levels of game localization depth:

paper localization (box, user manual, promotional materials, etc.)
economical localization (all text contained in the game is translated - interface, tips, subtitles, descriptions, etc.)
in-depth localization (game re-voiced)
excessive localization (graphic objects are localized)
deep localization (the scenario is adapted for a specific country)
The depth of localization is determined by the specifics of a particular project, budget and other factors.

m
mdskzo 19.11.21

Varlon
as I said, there are several types of localization depths, one of which is economical localization, this is when the entire text of the game is translated - tooltips, game dialogues, statistics, help, etc. these publishers are confident in the sales of their product. This method of localization is the most cost-effective, provided that the rest of the clauses are in English. that's all the hell to a penny. Localizing sound and graphics is quite an expensive thing, and if the publisher is not sure that the game will sell well, he may not want to do his voice acting and redraw the graphics, but leave them in English, understandable for most users. In any case, the publisher chooses the depth of localization based on their own market assessment.