3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
D
Dark corsair 11.12.21 12:32 am

Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain (Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes)

It looks like the VGA 12 trailer for The Phantom Pain has served its purpose by confusing all MG fans with false truths. Hats off to maestro Hideo, who has surpassed himself.

So let's put everything in its place, and see what actually happened.

I The Phantom Pain is the debut project of Moby Dick Studios. An

almost detective story took place at today's Spike Video Game Awards 2012 in Los Angeles. It all started with the video preview of The Phantom Pain, which immediately raised questions from both the public and journalists.

The essence of the action-packed video: the main character wakes up in the hospital after a coma and discovers that he can hardly move, and his left arm is generally amputated. But this is far from his biggest problem, since unknown heavily armed soldiers are running around the hospital and diligently exterminating all patients. Why, you yourself can see everything from the eleventh minute of the official broadcast of the ceremony, which was hosted by actor Samuel L. Jackson.

The announcement is unusual and interesting, however, most of all surprised by the game developer: studio Moby Dick with a logo in the form of a white whale tail. Why surprised? Because no one knows that! Its official website is clean, fresh and empty - there are only a couple of words that the studio is from Stockholm, and it was founded by a certain Joakim Mogren, who had previously worked for American game companies for a long time. Of course, no one has heard of such a game designer either.

Naturally, the journalists, sensing the riddle, immediately made a stand and began detective work. It was soon revealed that the developers in The Phantom Pain / Moby Dick Studios T-shirts were not found somewhere, but in the Konami VIP section. No, but evidence!

II Main character and scene

The video has also undergone close analysis. A lot of interesting things came to light. At the beginning of the video, the hallucinating hero sees white petals from the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3. The protagonist's face is covered with a bandage, but the scar on his face resembles the scar from the portraits of Naked Snake / Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes announced in August. The man in the flames turned out to be similar to the famous MGS3 hero Evgeny Volgin. And the name of the founder of the non-existent Swedish studio Joakim is an anagram of the name of Kojima Hideo, the "father" of the MGS series.

III Title

Players and journalists did not stop there and continued to unearth evidence after evidence. But the final point was the analysis of the “The Phantom Pain” logo at the end of the video. Behind a row of letters, a barely noticeable second row appeared, in which the words "Metal Gear Solid V" fit perfectly.

At the end of all of the above, I will share my own opinion. Perhaps not everyone remembers one extremely insignificant thing that sounded in an interview with Hideo Kojima regarding Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. Maestro Kojima defined the Ground Zeroes subtitle shown in the demo. From his words, it follows that Ground Zeroes is nothing more than the title of a plot chapter (prologue), which took place during the demonstration of the gameplay of the game.

Now let's take a look at the story of the Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain demo. Everything shown is nothing more than another chapter of Metal Gear Solid V. Apparently this episode takes place in the form of a dream or a nightmare of Snake, or an attempt to get into his mind, in the manner of Psycho Mantis or Sorrow.

If, after all the evidence given, I could not convince you of the connection between Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. Well, let's look at the other side, in Ground Zeroes there was already a reference to The Phantom Pain.

64 Comments
Sort by:
r
rozil 11.12.21

Anderby
It depends on what period of time to take into consideration ...

A
Anderby 11.12.21

Well, though, you can expect everything from Kojima. And if there are even more mysteries, I will only be glad.

r
rozil 11.12.21

Well, here's the new trailer from E3:

No words, some emotions

A
Anderby 11.12.21

No, well, you've seen it. Kaz without an arm and a leg, Chico in prison, Africa (getting closer to Outer Heaven), Mother Base, walking and torturing Ocelot Emerich, open world, children. This is amazing. Truth be told, Snake's voice was, as expected, so-so.

r
rozil 11.12.21

Anderby The
voice is delightful. I did not expect such a replacement for Hayter. As for me, it fits perfectly into the image of the new Big Boss (which in turn has become older). But I definitely will not accept the replacement of Solid's voice in any form.

A
Anderby 11.12.21

> As for me, fits perfectly into the image of the new Big Boss (which in turn has become older)

Naked was always old.
pix.PlayGround.ru

pix.PlayGround.ru
At the time of MGS3 he is "almost 52". In MGS5 he is 9-12 years older.

r
rozil 11.12.21

At the time of MGS3 he was "almost 52"
Mathematics suggests that since he was born around 1935, at the time of the development of events in MGS3 he was 29 ... And at the time of the creation of the clones he was about 37 years old ...

Official chronology to help.

A
Anderby 11.12.21

And in PW, he already has gray hair. It's too early.

r
rozil 11.12.21

Singe military shampoos did the trick. Forgive him ...

A
Anderby 11.12.21

C-c-c, okay.

A
Anderby 11.12.21

By the way, I was looking at my screenshots of PW and ..:

pix.PlayGround.ru

Indeed, at the time of the events of PW (1974) he was 39.

And he was born ..:

pix.PlayGround.ru

Between 2001 and 2008, the canon changed slightly. Oh, this MGS2.

Eh, and how easy it was to justify the murder of the gallant Naked by the young salaga Solid by deep old age.

A
Anderby 11.12.21

But the gameplay scares me. Enemy marks; stupid white interface with 3D windows; blind enemies; too fast Snake; live codec; main menu in Naked's hand; a radial menu instead of a list; unavoidable anxiety; Mosin, not reloadable from the first person after each shot; missing indicators of everything - health, sound, disguise, maps; no first person shooting, regeneration (!), one-button CQC, time dilation. GTA of some kind.

pix.PlayGround.ru pix.PlayGround.ru

pix.PlayGround.ru pix.PlayGround.ru

pix.PlayGround.ru
We haven't seen such an empty interface for a long time.

r
rozil 11.12.21

But the gameplay scares me. - yes, some things in it, I am also quite puzzled ...

regeneration - no comment. only tears.
Enemy marks are god knows what, too. considering that the presentation was at the easiest difficulty, it remains hoped that this feature can be turned off when passing through more difficult levels.
codec "live" - ​​amen, after the 4th part the codec began to gradually leave the game, which is very sad, because it was one of the main calling cards of the series. and very interesting.
too fast Snake - wow, I thought I would be lonely, but I thought so too. in some moments it feels like the game was set to fast rewind.
unavoidable anxiety - rather, extremely avoidable. that's what I definitely didn't expect that now, upon detection, a slow mo will be triggered in pick-up with bullet time straight from the best traditions of max Payne.

main menu in Naked's hand; a radial menu instead of a list; - the main menu contains things that, in principle, should be "at hand". real-time viewing of such things as a map brings their share of realism, however, the presence of all documents and information in one device resembling a walkie-talkie (and even in digital form) significantly reduces this share. even a solid could not boast of such a device, in his 2014.
I think that the menu in the form of a list will still be present, but again, in real time. This radial menu is a quick selection of frequently used items. By the way, the equipment itself now causes a storm of positive emotions.
- this is due to the fact that now all weapons and objects will be physically located directly on the naked, even when selecting another weapon, it will have to be thrown away if there is no corresponding cover - which looks extremely cool, because this makes the gameplay much more serious than it was before, when only it was left to guess where the main character shoved a dozen trunks on each hand.
no first person shooting; no first person reloading after each Mosin shot, the 1st person view is probably present, just not shown yet. But why should I reload Mosin from it, I don't quite understand something =)
missing indicators of everything. We have not seen such an empty interface for a long time - from this one, only the lack of a masking indicator is confusing (because it is not clear whether this system will be present at all), and a lifebar (well, everything is already clear here). the rest is simply not equipped, therefore it is not displayed. and a "naked" screen is not so bad. also has its own contribution to realism.
one-button CQC - here you got excited. cqc looks extremely promising. a variety of techniques, including the possibility of their use even while standing on karachiks near the barricade, the ability to fight several (!) opponents, a variety of blows that have replaced three arcade punches, even the ability to choose the questions that you will ask the poor fellow patrolman, deciding whether to leave his ridge on your rightful place. everything is very exciting here. and I'm sure this is not even half of what remains to be seen. I didn’t like only the animation during the throw of the enemy from the tower and the game of "bouncers" by the selected soldiers. the rest is clearly much better here.

A
Anderby 11.12.21

Nafig realism, you give the good old traditions - a cloud of information on the screen and in the menu, fingertip CQC from the third part, long animations, a codec with endless chatter, a minute sitting in shelters.

r
rozil 11.12.21

Nafig realism, you give the good old traditions,
yeah, let's go back to the days when the camera was focused on the primer of the base of ill-wishers, and to the snake's ass, consisting of a couple of square polygons, the

fingerless CQC from the third part,
yes you, my friend, a masochist. fuck that mantis style.

a cloud of information on the screen and in the menu
so that there is something to read in a minute of silence on the courts in the grass ... in other versions it makes little sense.

A
Anderby 11.12.21

Without all this, Metal Gear turns into an ordinary Siphon Filter or Splinter Cell. Yes, stealth, yes, fun and easy, but not expected from MGS.

Peace Walker could be forgiven a lot - the impossibility of crawling, walking along shelters, cheating gadgets, one-button CQC, the fastest missions - all this was due to the portability of the platform and was compensated by the rank system, long pumping and very branchy Mother Base's menus.
Right there, there is still a full-fledged sofa part, the PW gameplay does not look very good in it.

r
rozil 11.12.21

Yes, stealth, yes, fun and easy, but not expected from MGS.

yeah ... simple and fun - this is of course the opposition to the whole genre of MGS. As a rule, we ourselves create the whole seriousness of stealth from kojima. If you understand the game, you can complete it in less than two hours. This is one extremely vulnerable spot of the entire series. Arcade. This is not bad. It's just there. And in fairly large quantities. If desired, each part of the series can be turned into a puppet theater and that serious stealth that we are talking about will clearly not participate in such a passage. We just go through the game differently. For it does not give me pleasure to jump on each enemy, shooting him in the buttocks, simultaneously switching between RPG and RPK.

I don’t understand why, speaking about the old traditions of MGS, you are citing exactly the 3rd part of the game as an example. everyone knows that it gives a sharp slap in the face to many traditions of the first two parts, which should be considered canonical. from the location of the camera to the lack of a radar. hence the question - did you play anything from the series, besides the 3rd part and peace walker? =) it is

also impossible to talk about cqc from MGS3 as the best version of the combat system after passing MGS4. Even the combatant from Peace walker does not look much, but still more thoughtful) Which is correct, because it is partially copied from the 4th part.

and do not offend Logan, it’s completely incomprehensible how SF annoyed MGS, and even underwent a pejorative comparison) the game was complex and very interesting.

one thing only kicks in the butt of all the joy - marking the enemy. but given the ability to disable time dilation when detected by enemies, marking may also become optional. in other cases, I do not understand how one can talk about the multiple similarities of the peace walker and MGSV and complain about the obvious progress of the latter.

A
Anderby 11.12.21

> have you played anything from the series besides the 3rd part and peace walker? =)

Played. 1, 2, 4, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Online, Portable Ops, Ac! D, Ac! D 2, Touch, Rising. + Substance, Subsistance, VR Missions, PO Plus, MGR Ultimate Edition and demos of the first and second parts.

Of all this booth, the third part is my favorite, what to do.

r
rozil 11.12.21

Played. 1, 2, 4, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Online, Portable Ops, Ac! D, Ac! D 2, Touch, Rising. + Substance, Subsistance, VR Missions, PO Plus, MGR Ultimate Edition and demos of the first and second parts.
Well, I take off my hat if that's the case. The list is really impressive.

Of all this booth, the third part is my favorite, what to do.
And one of my favorite parts. I see no reason why she could not be.

r
rozil 11.12.21

We are in no hurry to rejoice, but in one of the Japanese interviews, it was mentioned that the ability to mark the enemy could be turned off. There will also be special rewards for those players who completed missions without using markings or reflex mode (a.k.a. time dilation).
It is hoped that such a choice will be present not only in the prologue, but also in Phantom Pain.

By the way, I saw the game at the Hard difficulty level. The player was spotted by the enemy and a firefight began. It took about 3-4 hits for the big boss to be sent to outer heaven. This event is not completely comforting, but still partially reassuring.