3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
P
Podvipodvertov 14.01.22 10:26 pm

The Witcher 3 and DX12 (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

I have such a question, I have not found an answer anywhere, and I'm tired of breaking my head. I have a graphics card that supports DX12 and Windows 7 doesn't support it. I heard in recent news that The Witcher 3 will still support DX12, and that's what I don't understand. Will it support DX12 at launch, or will it be added over time? Or perhaps I can now upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 and play The Witcher 3 in DX12 from day one? I also heard that Windows 10 will officially start somewhere in the middle of summer and only in the summer the seven can be upgraded to ten, or can everything be done today, right now for example? Who thinks about this.
78 Comments
Sort by:
w
warp 37 14.01.22

DX12 isn't out yet, but the game is already out. Turn on logic.

G
Gerald333 14.01.22

at the start, there will be support for 11.2 technology so that after the release of Windows 10, after that it may not be immediately 12 direct will be released, and even after that, until they sort everything out, they will probably give a patch with direct 12 or an addon like a redux with the metro and pay for a new one)

B
Berstrider 14.01.22

DX12 was written from scratch, not like all previous versions. This was done on purpose so that DX would work directly with processors, as if using a completely different technology. Those who use the previous version of 10 can already see DX12 http://www.3dnews.ru/908677
And although there are still no drivers for video cards on Win10, I was able to install them. When installing drivers from Nvidia, it unpacks them into its folder on the main disk, but during installation it says that the OS is not supported. We go into the video card settings in the device manager and manually update the drivers from the folder where the installer was unpacked. Used drivers for Win8.1 64bit.

M
Mercurionio 14.01.22

DX 12 will give you the ability to fetch more objects without sacrificing performance. He is the heir to AMD's Mantle, albeit indirectly. The trick is that he doesn't use crutches. Prots communicates with vidyuhi directly because of what delays on both sides can be avoided.

B
Berstrider 14.01.22

he is not the heir of Mantle. Why do you think so? They weren't even close. And the development of both technologies went in parallel.

n
nig.low 14.01.22

berstrider
is not the heir of Mantle. Why do you think so? They weren't even close. And the development of both technologies went in parallel.

Nothing like this. Which ones in parallel? AMD with its development - "Matle" was ahead of the small-soft ones - these (microsoft) still only have heard of a low-level APU called. Dx12 and it is not yet known whether it is being tested at all, while AMD has been using it for a long time in BF4 and in future AAA class games.
The same situation with the green ones with their Hairworks - AMD was 2 years ahead of them with their TressFX and used them in TR. In general, both greens and small ones are slow poke :)))

L
Lisstoman 14.01.22

nig.low
Well, only mantle and TressFX are already in the grave, and dx and Hairworks are flourishing)

n
nig.low 14.01.22

Lisstoman
Google to help you about Mantle, about what projects he will be involved in and along the way about TressFX.
Mantle was born and lives on. DX12? - Blah blah blah. hairworks? - Brakes;) Realism in hairs?

L
Lisstoman 14.01.22

nig.low
Mantle was born and died, having been in only one game) Samy Amd refused him)

t
tesla707 14.01.22

Lisstoman
1. AMD didn't abandon Mantle (driver build for windows 10 - 75, for windows 8.1 - 45, i.e. Mantle development goes on and doesn't stop).
2. Mantle has been in at least 7 games, 2 benchmarks and implemented in 5 modern game engines.
3. The performance of Mantle is commensurate with the performance of DirectX 12 and outperforms DirectX 11 many times over. both APIs are low level.
4. Due to its proprietary nature, Mantle remained in the shadows against the background of Dx11 (and its versions 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3) and Dx12. But perhaps AMD will still release the SDK, because in March they posted a 500-page manual on their API online, which already now allows ordinary programmers to write applications on it without an SDK.
5. and about the fate of Mantle - two scenarios: either AMD will continue to develop it, or give all the developments to Khronos Group, which will use them in their Vulkan API, created on the basis of Mantle.

B
Berstrider 14.01.22

I repeat once again - DX12 is not a successor, both technologies were developed in parallel. And do you even understand the very concept of "heir"? DX12 is the successor to DX11, but not the mantle. And the mantle loses DX12 already because it will actually be registered in the OS itself and Win10 itself works on it. And you can't do anything about it - everything will plow on dx12.
And what kind of children's statements are slow-pokes? Be serious.

t
tesla707 14.01.22

berstrider
"And the mantle loses DX12 just because it will actually be registered in the OS itself and Win10 itself works on it."
Mantle "lost" only through the fault of AMD itself and nothing else (due to the fact that the technology was conditionally closed, it was necessary to promote it as much as possible everywhere, up to ordinary users). On the other hand, Mantle will not die for one simple reason - performance.
DirectX 12 (and indeed any API) is "embedded" due to the presence of the corresponding libraries in the system folders (GAC is not needed here), which will be installed with the DirectX distribution. When installing a driver for AMD video cards, their API libraries are also installed in the system folders in the same way. So the built-in of both is identical and does not differ from each other in any way.
Windows 10 does not work on any API, for rendering the desktop and other things, a much simpler technology is used than the constant rendering of it - GUI / GDI +.

B
Berstrider 14.01.22

in principle - everything is correct, but T-shirts will put dx12 into all holes, in six months it will be not only on Windows and phones, but even on Xbox One they will replace Mantle (yes, yes, and you think - where did it come from? it was developed as a low-level API for next-gen set-top boxes) on DX12. And it seems that so far all the developers say that they build Mantle support into their engines, but that seems to be tied to AMD products, so soon everything will settle down to DX12 anyway, because. all video cards will work on it and so on. AMD will simply have to include support for it in their video cards, because. it will be a priority, because not only games require 3d, but also many other programs, and there developers will not specifically prescribe support for another technology, if you can prescribe the base one and not worry.

t
tesla707 14.01.22

berstrider
"even on Xbox One they will replace Mantle (yes, yes, where do you think it came from? it was developed as a low-level API for next-gen consoles) with DX12"
I'm afraid you are very wrong. Mantle was developed as an analogue of low-level console APIs, but not for them (AMD themselves spoke about this at their presentation). Just at the same time, a bike swept through the internet that Mantle would be built into the consoles, because. they work on a chip similar to the HD7870. But both MS and Sony immediately said that they would only consider such an option and nothing more. Sony already has an excellent API - low-level GNM and high-level GNMX, which is a wrapper over the former (like DirectX and Managed DirectX) and they are absolutely able to improve it further. MS uses a DirectX-like API in their consoles, and it's quite reasonable that they wouldn't embed Mantle while developing their low-level API.

"tied to AMD products"
AMD made an attempt to port its API to NVIDIA, but most likely the latter refused.
on the other hand, Vulkan (based on Mantle) is being developed, and NVIDIA will include support for it in their video cards. In this case, Mantle will simply flow smoothly into Vulkan.

R
Riddick00x 14.01.22

Podvipodvertov
DX12 will be exclusive to windows 10, so you will have to switch anyway if you want dx 12.
But I'm just sure that even with dx 12, the game will not increase optimization, but it will even get worse.

J
JONDROGON 14.01.22

How much did this Mantle give you?

t
tesla707 14.01.22

Adolom
if you are put behind the wheel of an F1 car, will you be able to arrive in the top ten? I think not until you run a couple of thousand laps.
the same thing here - the developers were given a new technology, and until they understand it, do not wait for the results. This also applies to DirectX12, you should not expect a huge breakthrough in performance from this API in the first year or two.

J
JONDROGON 14.01.22

tesla707
And I don’t expect anything from him, unless the wheels are 16 carbon, but round

d
demanik1 14.01.22

Adolom
Mantle gave a lot to those who sit on the average PC.

J
JONDROGON 14.01.22

demanik1
I'm sitting on it, well, let's wait and see until all this is introduced GTX960 becomes an average card, although it's probably already average, well, now I have 660. It doesn't pull 12DX D: