3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
J
Jay C 20.01.23 04:30 pm

Video card connection.

Hello people!
Do not take it for stupidity, because I'm not a teapot, but I already have a pretty solid user experience in owning and assembling a PC. My question is this:
Increasingly, I began to stumble across various forums and I became extremely curious and not very clear at the same time.
Here is an example - we take a powerful video card with two or three 8pin power supplies.
How to connect it correctly? ))))
I myself have an RTX3080Ti, I have it connected to the PSU with one wire with a splitter at the end for 2 to 6 + 2 pins, respectively, everything has been working smoothly and normally for more than a year.
But here on the forums people write that you need to connect a similar video card with two different wires, and not one with a splitter for 2 to 8. Why is that? Or I don't understand something.
It turns out that you connect two separate wires to one 8 pin connector and to the second, and right next to you will have separate 8pins hanging out or what? I just haven’t seen single pci-e wires, they all go one wire and at the end there is a branching into two by 8. The processor is another matter if there is power 2 by 8, so there are two different wires. Or did I misunderstand something from the user's message?
This is someone with 4090 with four connectors on the adapter, do you need to stick four wires? And four separate 8 pins will hang out nearby? Nothing is clear!
Why then do wires with splitters for 2po8 come with the PSU at all?
54 Comments
Sort by:
L
Loken 20.01.23

If the power supply is of high quality, and not some kind of cheap one, and the cables are of normal quality, and not an alloy, it’s not clear what section is unclear, then there is no fundamental difference.
If everything is fine with the quality of the block and cables, then connecting different cables makes some sense only on blocks with several 12v lines. In this case, sharp bursts of card consumption will be less sharp for certain power supply nodes.
And if there are doubts about the cables or power supply or you often reconnect the connector, then it is better to connect the office with different cables. Considering how many fans of ksass and other PSUs "850 watts for three thousand rubles", the advice to connect the card with different cables has already become universal, in some way foolproof (including home-grown miners).

L
Lain Rain 20.01.23

Jay C
Power supply maker Sea Sonic and former graphics card vendor EVGA even recommend in their product manuals to connect cards above 225w via separate cables.

Now I will tell the situation on my own example. I have a Palit 1080 ti Gamerock video card that is connected to a 750w Super Flower power supply. Initially, without bothering, I connected the video card with one power cable with a branched wire. Everything worked fine, but the tdp of the video card during boost can reach 350w and at full load the noise of the chokes on the video card was noticeably audible, moreover, a characteristic crackle of the chokes appeared, reminiscent of the sound of a transformer. At the same time, the video card worked stably, but this is solely because the power supply is of sufficient quality, with cheaper units, something could burn out from such a load, I am more than sure.

Having delved a little into this issue, I realized that the video card should be connected with separate cables to each power connector. In general, I threw in another cable, connected it to the video card, and actually got the following result - the noise of the chokes under load noticeably decreased, the crackling also disappeared during the full load of the system, and moreover, earlier, with a heavy load on the 12v video card, the line on the power supply sagged from 12.192 to 11.9 - this is a good indicator and there is nothing wrong with these figures, but after connecting a separate power wire to the card, the drawdowns along the lines during load became even smaller, and the 12v line did not fall below 12.092.

That is, draw a conclusion, a load above 225w on one cable can heat the wires very much, which in cheaper power supplies can quite lead to cable melting, connecting two separate cables solves this problem. Also, connecting two cables allows you to better distribute the load on the power supply and improves the stability of the video card, because it is able to get the full power it needs under load. In some cases, like mine, this also allows you to solve the problem with the noise of the chokes and, in general, noticeably reduce their noise. Well, if you believe the testers on YouTube, connecting power through two separate cables improves performance, the increase is small, but it is there and this is not a statistical error.

ps: And answering your question "It turns out that you connect two separate wires to one 8 pin connector and to the second and right next to you will have separate 8pin hanging out or what?" - yes, that's right, you don't need to look for any special wires, use the ones that came with the power supply and when you connect two separate wires, the connectors will just hang out side by side. This is fine.

J
Jay C 20.01.23

All the guys, thank you very much, they explained everything competently and without mockery! Respect!!!

J
Jay C 20.01.23

Loken
Please tell me how to check my block with several lines 12v or not?
PS If anything, my PSU is Thermaltake PF1 1200W 80 Plus Platinum (I took it with a margin for the future).

W
Watapachi 20.01.23

Jay C
The power supply has one powerful line + 12V,
With such power and holes for connection, I don’t see the point in the second line

J
Jay C 20.01.23

Watapachi
That is, you do not need to reconnect with different wires, or is it still worth it?

W
Watapachi 20.01.23

Jay C
is better than different ones, since this way the resistance is higher, and it will work as intended by the engineers

J
Jay C 20.01.23

Watapachi
Got it, thank you all!

m
mxin 20.01.23

Lain Rain
And if you connect through an adapter, for example 8 pins, through 2 sats?

L
Lain Rain 20.01.23

mxin
Yes, probably, all the same connection rules apply.

Although I have never used risers or adapters, and somehow I was not interested in this topic, so I can’t say anything about the nuances of connecting adapters. Soryan. Better create a separate topic on PG.

L
Loken 20.01.23

Jay C
One line for 100 amps. Your cables are 16AWG (section 1.3 mm, 4 cores), one such cable from the block easily pulls 400w in normal mode, + 75w from the pci slot, but you are unlikely to find a video camera with such consumption and only two additional power connectors, so this is unrealistic. According to the ATX standard, any unit is required to pull a card with a consumption of up to 300w on one cable (225 + 75), there will be one connector at the end or two at all, it doesn't matter. And so you can connect both with one cable and with several, your 1200 padded jacket will not notice the difference.
mxin wrote:
And if the connection is through an adapter, for example 8 pins, through 2 sats?
The power supply doesn't matter. Your weak point is the adapter itself, it is better to worry about it, and not about the block. In general, it is highly recommended not to use such adapters.

z
zPOINTMANz 20.01.23

Watapachi On the
contrary, through 2 cables the resistance will be lower, as the cross section of the conductor increases. Consequently, the currents are lower, and the voltage drops are less according to Ohm's law: I = U / R With a thin section, the conductor heats up, and the resistance of metals increases as a result of an increase in the speed of movement of atoms.

p
potter790 20.01.23

This is probably for modular power supplies. If the PSU is not modular, and there are plugs at the end, then naturally nothing is needed, it should be designed for that.
Modular PSUs have two PCI-E slots. One next to the CPU socket, the second below. The second one is for the second video card, but if you wish, they can be separated if the video card is powerful, it won’t be worse, it’s the same, it’s just that they will be separate, and not in the same slot with the CPU, which can and will be safer.
I will say that it will be 100% safe, this is the presence of a UPS, about which those Internet clowns say that they do not need it, and then their connectors are on fire. xD)

R
RicoChico 20.01.23

To confirm the theory, look at how stupidly 4090 are burning now.

L
Loken 20.01.23

RikoChiko
In confirmation of what theory? The connectors are burning at the point of connection to the video card, which can no longer be dragged into the subject of the topic, this time. Two, they burn due to the incomplete connection of the connector to the connector, followed by bending of the cable itself and minimizing the contact between mom and dad, followed by an increase in resistance and temperatures at the point of contact.
In total, 50 (0.04% of owners at the time of the trial) handicapped cripples are known to have failed to properly insert the connector into the slot and burned their cards. With a normal connection, neither the cable nor the connector itself even get warm, because there are ridiculous loads for this section.
6:30
Spoiler

M
MunchkiN 616 20.01.23

I will say that it will be 100% safe, this is the presence of a UPS, about which those Internet clowns say that they do not need it, and then their connectors are on fire. xD)
UPS is not needed. his goal is so that the pitch does not turn off when the tension drops or when it is turned off for a while. if this is needed, then yes, but for a gaming pitch it will be an expensive device.
The voltage rectifier is also a controversial thing. I bought something like that and noticed that it changes voltage abruptly. I don’t think it’s good, but it also buzzes and clicks. only if the analog trachomatous one is of some size and a good coil. and the power side, in fact, is, in theory, it should not be necessary because it should have protection against the same surges. if the power supply is bad in some rural area, then you can use such a thing to cover more expensive equipment with cheaper one.
well, the simplest thing is a surge protector, it’s cheap, it’s simple there is some kind of fuse to calm down, I think and you can use it, and also because it has sockets for pitch and for the speaker monitor and for it, be to PeKa. download that it directly gives an even current and there such a sinusoid will be, no, perhaps

and if the power supply has a lot of wires 8 and 6 pins, it is better to naturally connect them with different wires. even if the block is modular and there are several blocks, which usually happens with 1000+ watts sometimes.

J
Jay C 20.01.23

I see that the theories still diverge, just as far as I can remember I always connected all video cards with one cable, 8 + 6, 8 + 8, and I would not even think of connecting two, three or four. At the same time, the cards worked properly all the time until I sold them (usually 2-3 years), and here you first heard this connection method on YouTube in a review from one blogger, and then read it on the forum. I most likely agree with Loken about the fact that if the PSU is of excellent quality, then it is provided for this kind of connection, because then why make a splitter for 2 to 8 on one wire at all, if, for example, it was not intended to receive a load of up to 300 watts . I repeat, the connection of the processor 2 to 8 pins goes with two different wires, why not make it one there too?

01001000 01101001 20.01.23

Jay C
One braid - one connector. The weak point is often the block on the PSU side, due to the fact that it has a load from two power connectors. One of the worst, at the moment, Cooler Master. Plastic melts, contacts can get warm. You check the temperature and evaluate for yourself. They are connected in different ways, but often the second one (on the same braid) is connected to a less voracious place.
Here is the known scheme and the allowable load when connected, taken from the miners forum:
Spoiler
The best PSUs we have are Super Flower, where the pads lasted the longest under load. Ideally, you should follow the manufacturer's recommendations (in terms of power) and connect one braid - one connector (I correspond with manufacturers). Otherwise, YOU will NEVER prove your point at a local service center. They will tell you right off the bat that you have exceeded the load. If you are lucky, and the PSU manufacturer is loyal, for example, the cooler master recognizes this problem, then it is proposed to send a replacement gift to the office itself, it seems to the Netherlands.

If everything works. The fact is that the plastic is probably a little better quality than some of the others, well, you rarely pulled the cables of the modular PSU. They can warm up just after the contacts are loosened (and this is wear). The load drops from the video card in some places by a multiple (fortunately, that is short-term). In the 3000 series, power consumption only increased, the cards are very voracious, and massively went into mining, hence the many stories and problems. The video card is also powered from the motherboard slot, how much and what it takes - this will help you with HWiNFO or TechPowerUp GPU-Z.

BP today is still from those marketers. Modularity is their biggest problem. As I said, I saw meltdowns more often from the side of the PSU, where the load falls just from the branched power connector of the video card (in total from each). It all depends on the quality, heating, duration of work, and contact pressure.
What can happen - from the melting of the connector and the blue screen TO the burnout of the card and sending it to the trash. I have seen all these pictures and screenshots. And he got himself into it.
Jay C wrote:
I see that the theories still diverge
. Nothing to diverge. People don't know what it is. Ask in profile groups.
Jay C wrote:
However, the cards worked properly all the time until I sold them
The same thing worked for me for 3 years, until the cable began to sort out, wash, clean, disconnect / connect, and bought another card, the load from which finished off the PSU block. From time to time. How lucky here. Check the temperature in the load, the guys have a tool for this.
Jay C wrote:
if the PSU is of excellent quality, then it is provided for this kind of connection.
Infrequently pulling the cable is one time (there is a note on the number of times). And two - the PSU has nothing to do with it, the question is about contacts, wiring (thickness) and plastic. This is of course part of the PSU kit, but I would still single it out, because the problem is not in the PSU (it has a resource issue).
Jay C wrote:
because then why even make a splitter for 2 to 8 on one wire
Marketing, laziness and the question of free space in the back! Previously, the wires were separate. My Chieftek had one braid - one connector, everything was as it should be. And there are non-modular PSUs. The situation is better there.
Jay C wrote:
I repeat, the connection of the processor 2 to 8 pins goes with two different wires, why not make it one there too?
Because in most cases, ONE is enough. You do not understand the purpose of the second connector. If you do not connect the video card with two, then it will not work under load. And if you do not connect the processor, then it will work. However, the meaning of the second EATX connector (the manufacturer answers) is to stabilize the voltage and work under overclocking. In stock, it has a limiter, plus, if the video card works constantly in games at 100%, then the processor is only 50-70 watts, less often 90-120 watts.
By the way, super flower kept the same for a very long time at the tester's stand, then passed the same thing (they often drove and connected video cards). Our soldering is everything.
Spoiler
And here's another one for you:
Spoiler

Just don't use extension cords, the same creates resistance. Actually, disassemble the features of electrical equipment, permissible loads and weak points in wiring and connecting them (these are connection points, connections - oxides and contacts). SOLDER forever and ever! I also thought that this was for miners, that it wouldn’t affect me, toys. And there consumption is even greater than in mining.
If you are going to continue to sit, then the general rule is to connect it, do not touch it, especially from the PSU side, where there is a large load and contacts weaken (wear and tear), temperatures begin to rise during operation. Have a temperature checker. The same thing does not hurt the card to downvolt, because they eat a lot in zero efficiency and the release of heat into the environment idle. Fix it, set up the map properly and without any loss of performance. And the power consumption will fall to the level of 3070. And 4090 is actually an obvious mistake and an example of how not to do it. This is a very vivid example when one connector has such a load.
They have a favorite reply - incorrect operating conditions (in 99% of cases they refuse to guarantee). The master will tell you that you have overloaded the wire, which is why it will be refused (let's say the PSU is under warranty) in replacement. You will run around - write to the manufacturer, communicate with a lawyer and write claims, or even conduct examinations, proving that there was no overload. In general, you will later prove and show all that garbage (including about the CPU and cables from the manufacturer) in other places.
In general, see for yourself. The second (from one braid) was connected to the most non-gluttonous place (out of the three video card power connectors). You can leave, it's up to you (but as I said - do not pull them). I won't connect like that anymore. And if necessary with additional I will transfer the power supply of the processor to the additional power supply of the video card (through an adapter), if only not with a branched connector. And you generally have 1.2 kW, there are exactly 4-6 of these braids. Connecting two will reduce the load on the braid (distribute it), protect it from the point of view of heating contacts and wires.

And yet, go to specialized forums and groups, and not here. Then some drunk with cognitive dissonance and the Dunning Kruger effect will come and tell you that everything is normal, and overpay in dns, and buy iron randomly, and don’t think at all (it’s a policy to think, let others think) what they take advice from people like me. Smart guys will give you simple advice once and for all - one braid, one connector. The owners of mining farms are especially well aware of this (there are many cards, the incidents are obvious, the information is shared).

J
Jay C 20.01.23

01001000 01101001
Thank you!!!

J
Jay C 20.01.23

In general, I went through the computer and connected the card with different wires, since reliability and safety are more expensive, especially since I'm going to switch to 4080 a little later, and this note with the connection is not in vain, I think I came across. I looked at the wires from the PSU - it says 16AWG 300W, that is, in theory, one wire can easily power up to 300W, but since it needs to be separate, so be it. But still, apparently, you will then have to sell and buy a PSU of the ATX 3.0 standard, taking into account the presence of an adapter, plus connect it with different wires, then Oppenheimer himself would envy the huge number of wires in the case. And so one wire, neatly and reliably. But maybe I’ll leave it like that, the block is too good and I got it at a great price, taking into account the bonuses used, and it has 4 PCI-E slots and, accordingly, 4 wires. I think if you conjure with cable management,