3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
t
termoblаs 20.08.21 12:07 am

Why are strategies not popular?

On the forums of many excellent strategies, there are a maximum of a dozen topics, many of them are almost empty. While on the forum of almost any shooter or RPG there are several pages with topics for hundreds of comments, why?
75 Comments
Sort by:
A
Arhimus1 20.08.21

Xs, everyone writes that our generation is stupid, but I am enraged with strategies because of the ease. I've tried: Rise of Nations, Civilization 5 and Crusader Kings 2. As soon as I understand all the mechanics of the game and its possibilities, the game immediately bothers me

M
MunchkiN 616 20.01.23

Afidant wrote:
one and the same strategy can be perfectly played for decades, practically without losing interest.
replayability is about the same as in all games, and playing with bots on maps is not very interesting than playing with bots in other games or sandboxes.

Why did the genre fall apart? perhaps because when it was mostly 2d and rudimentary 3d strategies were cool, but because they were replaced by 3d action games. and driving a union around the map is not so interesting, in fact, and strategies have become a niche genre in the halls of PK gaming. perhaps the genre itself is simply tired and not liked by new players.

R
RicoChico 20.01.23

There is really nothing to discuss. Previously, it was possible to discuss the plot, the choice of the side of the conflict. Now the maximum is if there is some kind of randomness on the global map like Total War Warhammer 3 or Crusaders Kings 3.
All the studios that were the pillars of the RTS genre were covered up because of the mediocre leadership of the publishers. And in place of RTS came moba.

N
Nvidia VS Amd 20.01.23

termoblas
Doesn't draw in those who don't want to think. For me personally, strategy games come first, just like RPGs.

b
barbarian 20.01.23

MunchkiN 616
There are quite worthy bots like atilla total war.
At least under equal conditions, it does not act stupidly. And visually good and the period is interesting. You need to strain a little so that they don’t endure, especially at the beginning. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the last adequate part of the series.

k
kurskiy 20.01.23

Why is football more popular than chess? For better or worse, the attention of most people is attracted by the dynamism and spectacle, and not by the strategy and intellectual struggle.

N
Nvidia VS Amd 20.01.23

kurskiy
Not always. For example, Russian billiards is more popular than both of these sports. Not to say that there is mega entertainment or a fanatical intellectual struggle. There is probably a balance. Everything in moderation.

D
Denis Kyokushin 20.01.23

Somewhere I had an Act Of War disk: what to build there, to extract resources. I bought it somewhere in 2007 or 2008. I played a little, but no one attacked me, I deleted it. I also played a little in Anno 1404, like a city had to be built, starting almost from a village. I probably spent the whole evening on it, and didn’t hook it. I closed it and deleted it. No

B
Boloboom 20.01.23

strategies fade into the background due to the weak action component and the popularization of clip content. you need to fit the maximum number of vivid impressions and emotions of the player into a unit of time, unfortunately strategies are not designed for this

M
MunchkiN 616 20.01.23

Afidant wrote:
And what do you mean "the genre was blown away"
from the late 90s to the mid-2000s there were a lot of different strategies. in some moments they literally pearled. now the cool, hyped and expensive can be total war basically.
sorts of strategies. By strategies, I first of all mean something similar in gameplay to Warcraft 3, where you fly around with a camera, extract resources, build houses, frame all of the units from the houses and send them to the massacre. or turn-based strategists such as Diskples, Heroes of Might and Magic. and there is no replay value for such games. if by some miracle you pass and endure the company there, it is unlikely that you will ever re-pass it. now the focus of strategies has shifted rather to the strategy of semi-indirect control and any management. there was also a genre of tactical games, but I did not consider their strategies a plus or minus, and this is a slightly different conversation.
the fact that there are no ftp strategies means that they do not monetize very well. there is Dota 2, they say it's a good game, but I don't play with live players and games with constant online, so I don't know. and in general, the fact that their (strategies) does not mean much that they are not of interest to the players, otherwise they would have long been adapted for consoles once the jesters have washed down where they need to run and shoot.

s
saa0891 20.01.23

Obviously because this is a specific genre of games that not everyone likes, but of course it’s sad that since Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars and Command & Conquer: Generals, nothing has been released at the same level (of course, StarCraft 2 with a ton of add-ons), has been Gray Goo and a few other similar RTSs, but they were all inferior in scale and elaboration, the last Dune was generally turned into some kind of Dawn of War II clone, of course, I don’t adore Dawn of War II tactics more with heroes who have a lot of abilities than when they force you it's stupid to press with a mass, but how I wanted to get exactly the old Dune (namely RTS with the construction of the base, etc.) in a new wrapper.

h
hello 20.01.23

MOSHIVURIA lapwing more
popular? heh heh... nowadays any combination with the above adjective becomes popular only in hell

N
Nvidia VS Amd 20.01.23

Hello
Everyone will be there) Do not worry. There is a warm place for everyone in nine circles😁

C
Champion00 20.01.23

I miss good strategies ((the last 5 years there has been nothing sensible ((

b
barbarian 20.01.23

MunchkiN 616
Spoiler
If by some miracle you go through and endure the company there, you are unlikely to ever replay it. now the focus of strategies has shifted more towards the strategies of semi-indirect control and any management
In AOE 2: DE, they added a good tutorial with levels so that you can go through the campaign on any difficulty, as well as prepare for playing online for those who find it difficult. I've been playing for 20 years, new campaigns are still coming out. The steps are the same.
I have been playing civilization for 5 years, gradually increasing the difficulty