3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
v
vftor 13.03.21 12:51 am

HDD crash after installing the game (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

Installing the game on Win.7 x64
- C (Windows) SSD (240 GB) -> on E (games) HDD (320 GB)
1. Installed the game (repack, v.1.05), played, deleted it.
2. Installing the game (repack v.1.21 with DLC) - it is not installed, after a while the installation failed window pops up.
3. I start checking the system and find out that the HDD write speed has dropped to 5 MB / s (instead of the initial 120 MB / s). I conclude that the HDD that worked for 2 years is dead.
- other games work fine (HDD read speed = 150 MB / s)
4. I bought a new HDD (500 GB). Write speed = 150 MB / s.
5. I installed the game (repack v.1.21 with DLC), played it, deleted it.
6. I decided to play again, install the game (repack v.1.21 with DLC) - it is not installed, after a while the installation failed window pops up (Unarc.dll returned error code: -11).
- other games work fine (HDD read speed = 150 MB / s)
7. I start checking the system and find out that the HDD write speed (500 GB) has dropped to 5 MB / s (instead of the initial 150 MB / s).
8. I check the system for viruses (with a separate control SSD with Kaspersky) and detect a Trojan on (SSD 240 GB) C Program Files (x86) Common Files Microsoft Windows taskhost.exe
- remove the virus and HDD write speed (500 GB) recoverable up to 150 MB / s.
- hence the HDD (320 GB) is normal.

Has anyone had something similar with the game The Witcher 3?
89 Comments
Sort by:
k
kc5 13.03.21

SonyK.
Imagine that your computer is a courtyard. This is how virus writers see it. And there are hanging trousers hanging dry - purchased is a license and pirated are those that he sewed. Something like this.

K
Kraicher 13.03.21

vftor wrote:
Yes, any antivirus program will detect it.
Well, try to scan the repack from the Mechs with Casper. I checked - it does not find anything.

K
Kraicher 13.03.21

SonyK. wrote:
it's not a fact that advertising will not be sewn into it, etc.
Exactly. ))) And this one is PUP.Optional.InstallCor.exe. like advertising and connected.

v
vftor 13.03.21

kc5
Well said. As for me, let them spy (there is nothing to hide), let them play quietly and not spoil the computer. And then after all, natural villains-pests.

S
SonyK_2 13.03.21

vftor wrote:
penetration into the computer
I'm not afraid of this - I wrote above, I don't keep anything valuable on my computer. Disconnect the cable so that it does not "penetrate", and even more so to start the 2nd computer, there is no desire - everything "necessary" (OS, software, etc.) on the computer is duplicated on external media, everything else can be restored without problems.

kc5 wrote:
Imagine that your computer is a gateway
Scared ...: D

v
vftor 13.03.21

Kraicher
Well you give it. I've come across such setup.exe many times by Casper. But lately, they seem to have grown wiser, they did not begin to make such a primitive.

K
Kraicher 13.03.21

vftor wrote:
As for me, let them spy (there is nothing to hide
"Spyware viruses threaten information security and negatively affect computer performance. When you install a software package containing a spyware, it will be installed automatically, regardless of the user's desire. In some cases, the spy offers to install the program from the sponsor The spy enters itself into the registry of your operating system, and you can delete these entries only manually, using a special editor.
Viruses - spies, using the resources of the processor and RAM, significantly reduces the speed of the computer. Because of this, other programs run much slower, or even freeze and show no signs of life. The malicious program will not stop its work, and while continuing to receive information about the computer, it will slow down the work more and more. "

And so, everything is calm in Baghdad.)))

v
vftor 13.03.21

SonyK.
But I do it too, duplicate. And other computers are for different purposes, as well as for games on XP and DOS programs.

M
Morgan yu 13.03.21

That's why I stopped downloading from the tourrent: D

M
Morgan yu 13.03.21

In general, format the disk, check for sectors and do defragmentation :)

K
Kraicher 13.03.21

Georgy Revera
And if the virus sits in the RAM. I used to catch it.

v
vftor 13.03.21

Kraicher
Well, these are generally bad spies. Such must be ruthlessly destroyed. I was talking about quiet spies, those who are made by hackers or special services.

k
kc5 13.03.21

Kraicher wrote:
significantly reduces the speed of the computer.
This is done only by suicidal viruses. Their main task is to remain unnoticed for as long as possible.

v
vftor 13.03.21

Georgy Revera
Well, you say, format disc. And then install the games on a new one. And defragmentation on the HDD is a matter of course.

K
Kraicher 13.03.21

vftor
Well, I overlaid myself with anti-programs, and everything seems to be protected.

K
Kraicher 13.03.21

kc5
So I mean - why do I need a repack from Mechs when there are clean ones, for example from Khatab.)
And sometimes viruses arrive from the browser. So, extra protection will not hurt. Malver periodically denies access to some sites (shows through pop-up windows).

v
vftor 13.03.21

kc5
Only suicidal viruses do this.
What kind of viruses are these - unnoticed and significantly reduce the speed of the computer. Conflicting factors.

v
vftor 13.03.21

Kraicher
Well, I have The Witcher 3 - a repack from the hatub. So what. With a virus.

S
SonyK_2 13.03.21

vftor wrote:
and also for games on XP
When I played games that go only on XP, there was a second OS in the system. Now XP is needed only for one very old program (it does not start in any on a 7-ke), and that is extremely rare, I use Windows XP Mode - a virtual OS inside a 7-ki, it starts up as a normal program.

K
Kraicher 13.03.21

vftor
And I have all the repacks from Khatab, and no viruses or miners. What virus do you have?
Maybe you caught the virus before the repack? ))) After all, they sit in the system and not in the distribution of the game.