3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
J
JasonWU 24.07.21 04:59 am

Immersive Sim: truth or fiction?

Hello! Weekday evening, hammock studio, burning question. Immersive sim, what are you ??? : cat-168:Some say it is the most elite gaming genre. Others argue that this is just a marketing invention. Still others think that this is a certain approach to game design. We only know that the whole truth about immersive sims will become clear only in this topic.: cat-201: 

Sensational discussion! Right now in front of your eyes! .. : cat-202:

89 Comments
Sort by:
L
Lex mercer 24.07.21

ACE you have forgotten the new Deus Ex, there were also views from the third person. Just don't confuse additional options with the main gameplay.

And yes, they're all in the action genre! There is such a genre, in it 90% of games ...

Spector pioneered a flexible-rules genre in which each player shapes their own playstyle - later called immersive sim. Spector himself also uses this term, although he does not like it.

I'm still trying to come up with a better name for this play style, because "immersion simulator" sounds too pretentious.

Warren Spector, game designer

The point is that the player is immersed in a detailed and living world in which he can act as he sees fit.

Well, for sure! This is Uncharted, as I did not immediately see! 

Modified on September 29, 2017 by Lex Mercer

A
ACE 24.07.21

Lex Mercer lalka, these games can be played completely with any view. at your age, you should already understand that changing the perspective will not affect the genre. as Thief was a stealth action = it will remain so. as was the fallout 4 shooter RPG so it will remain - and do not care how to play with a view from the eyes or from a third person. etc

do not disgrace yourself pliz : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1: although you do not care - you can continue to disgrace yourself  further, demonstrating a complete lack of logic : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1: 

what one needs to be a lalka to equate stealth action games and shooter RPGs in the open world with the same PPC genre: 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1:

marketers normally breed lalok : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1:

L
Lex mercer 24.07.21

Raphael Calantino and Warren Specter vs. ACE ... who are they to listen to : icon_lol:

26 minutes ago, ACE said:

changing the perspective will not affect the genre. 

Is Sniper Elite 4 a first person shooter or a third person shooter?

27 minutes ago, ACE said:

you can continue to disgrace yourself further, demonstrating a complete lack of logic 

The Witcher 3 is not an RPG or the last parts of Call of Duty is an action RPG. What do you like best?

A
ACE 24.07.21

Lex mercer 

8 minutes ago, Lex Mercer said:

Raphael Calantino and Warren Specter

interested people who, imposing invented terms, advertised their games  : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1: , which I actually spoke about.

Are you so merged that you can't even say anything in essence YOURSELF? : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1:

Is Sniper Elite 4 a first person shooter or a third person shooter?

didn't play it. do not know.

The Witcher 3 is not an RPG

why would it suddenly? : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1:

Call of Duty is an action RPG. What do you like best?

no, it's a jester immersive son : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1:

PPC how can you be such a lalka? : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1:

S
Shibito 24.07.21

before there were shooters bunch bunch bang bang, quake, doom, quake, doom

and then the PPC systems shock came out and you already tell your mom - I'm not just playing a shooter, it's an immersive sim!

Modified on September 29, 2017 by Shibito

L
Lex mercer 24.07.21

1 minute ago, ACE said:

interested people who, imposing invented terms, advertised their games

Especially Spectrum, who coined the term back in the late 90s, right?

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

didn't play it. do not know.

And he is like Ghost Recon, when the game is all from the third person, and all the shooting from the first. What genre is this?

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

no, it's a jester

How so ?! There, a bunch of RPG-type elements appeared, and in the last part, 30-40 percent of the story campaign is also "flying". Is this an arcade air sim shooter? 

A
ACE 24.07.21

5 minutes ago, Lex Mercer said:

Especially Spectrum, who coined the term back in the late 90s, right?

pozones, look, Lex Merzer just found out the ad wasn't invented in 2017 : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1:

6 minutes ago, Lex Mercer said:

And he is like Ghost Recon, when the game is all from the third person, and all the shooting from the first. What genre is this?

means just a shooter - no explanation.

6 minutes ago, Lex Mercer said:

How so ?! There, a bunch of RPG-type elements appeared, and in the last part, 30-40 percent of the story campaign is also "flying". Is this an arcade airplane shooter? 

there RPG elements to a minimum. there is no aviation sim there - there is shooting with a view from the eyes, but you sit in the cockpit of the starship. sounds like an immersive son : 57a8bd5a0af02_FROG1:

L
Ligfip1 24.07.21

hot

J
JasonWU 24.07.21

Norm voting. Society is split by such a heated issue ...

N
NiGHTS 24.07.21

I re-vote, I came to the conclusion that this is still a separate category.

There is no isolated border, but the total number of features outweighs towards classification as an independent subgenre.

K
KOZIK LAVEY 24.07.21

I suggest creating a theme 

Adventurer: Truth or Fiction?

J
Jelektronik 24.07.21

At 15.04.2019 at 19:52, NiGHTS said:

I re-vote, I came to the conclusion that this is still a separate category.

There is no isolated border, but the total number of features outweighs towards classification as an independent subgenre.

I would say that IS is usually a game at the intersection of genres (most often RPG and Shooter), which are built around the idea of ​​maximum freedom of choice in the gameplay. And this is quite pulling into a separate subgenre, just like the above-mentioned metroidvania or souls like.

A
Azzy 24.07.21

Just now, Jelektronik said:

a separate subgenre, as well as the aforementioned metroidvania or souls like.

Yet metroidvania or soul s like are not subgenres, but styles or even game concepts, not genres. 

Genres in games always have in mind the specific construction of the game, i.e. camera and specific mechanics. For example, FPS, TPS, Topdown, etc., Action-adventure, RPG, shooter, etc. are mixed with each other. Subgenres are additional mechanics like "survival", "open world" and other things that characterize the game from a mechanical point of view. Therefore, there are no such genres as Horror in games, it is stylistic or artistic content. Therefore, Resident Evil is a quest with shooting elements, but in fact it is just an action-adventure. 

So IS is a style and concept, not a genre or sub-genre. 

d
dozensnake 24.07.21

uh but survival horror is a genre, and officially

P
Piero 24.07.21

I miss the times, where everything for me was divided into a shooter / fights / rocking chair and the like.

A
Azzy 24.07.21

dozensnake partly you're right, Survivor Horror has a number of well-established attributes, which, by the way, do not correspond to many modern games attributed to this genre. In fact, survivor horror is an adventure game with elements of survival in which they added some paraphernalia and style of horror. Again, RE and SH are "Survivor Horror", but in fact this is another name for Action-Adventure in some dark style. Moreover, now someone may be seized by a blow, but I will say that there is no quest genre either. What we mean by "Quest" has always been called "Adventure" in the West. That is why in modern games genres are hyphenated "Action-Adventure". 

In general, when it comes to some kind of emotional content, this cannot be a game genre. Like, horror means strange to me, and not scary means not horror. I wasn't scared at PT, so not horror. The same immersion, I do not have it in the same understanding and scope as many do. In 90% of games, I don't associate myself with a hero, so I'm indifferent to VR, I don't like first-person games.

In general, such a thing as an official genre is a strange thing. Officially MGS is not Stelth, but Tactical Espionage Action, Gran Turismo is not Racing Simulator, but Real Driving Simulator. The same thing happens in music. Many creative people try to stand out, which usually also plays into the hands of marketing, so they come up with various entities that duplicate what is already there. "We don't play Folk Metal, we play Brutal Groove Viking!" - something like this I regularly heard in various interviews with young musicians when I worked in a music store. 

V
Velldanas 24.07.21

I would call IS a "hybrid" genre.

In fact, this is a vinaigrette of well-chosen genres. And each IS has set rules: strong storyline, first-person view, freedom of choice in gameplay, etc.

All of the above can also be equated to "souls-like" games. This is also a hybrid, but with its own rules for the set of genres. Only the style changes.

d
dozensnake 24.07.21

Azzy I mean who defines the genre officially? Wikipedia or some other office resource?

L
Ligfip1 24.07.21

1 hour ago, dozensnake said:

Azzy I mean who defines the genre officially? Wikipedia or some other office resource?

Journalists

11 hours ago, dozensnake said:

uh but survival horror is a genre, and officially

How else would you call it?

J
Jelektronik 24.07.21

7 hours ago, Velldanas said:

I would call IS a "hybrid" genre.

In fact, this is a vinaigrette of well-chosen genres. And each IS has set rules: strong storyline, first-person view, freedom of choice in gameplay, etc.

All of the above can also be equated to "souls-like" games. This is also a hybrid, but with its own rules for the set of genres. Only the style changes.

I would say that if a set of certain genre features is a stable form of a work and does not change significantly over a long period of time, then this may well be considered a separate genre, albeit not the most massive one. IS is quite suitable for such a description, since the first game in this genre (Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss) was released back in 1992.